HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[News] Intel believes Apple will begin transitioning to ARM-based chips for Macs in 2020

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
Bot Administrator: PMs cannot be received by this account

[News] Intel believes Apple will begin transitioning to ARM-based chips for Macs in 2020

The end of the Intel-based Mac era.

View full story here...

Note 2: Should you need to reach out to someone in charge, please start a discussion topic in the Online Membership/Feedback Forum.
HWZ Editorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

I don't think they will completely move away since their SOCs are not powerful enough for them to confidently move away. It's possible that they may adopt their SOCs for say their Macbook Air.
Processor
Ryzen 5 1600X
Mainboard
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3
Graphics Card
Zotac GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Memory
Klevv DDR4 3000 2x8GB CL14
Display
Dell U2515H
Storage
Samsung 850 Pro & Evo 512GB/ Crucual MX500 500GB/ WD Black 750GB
Optical Storage
LG Bluray Drive
Casing
Fractal Design ARC Mini R2
PSU
Seasonic G550
Audio
Realtek ALC887
OS
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #3
High Supremacy Member

It doesn't need to be powerful

They just need to convince their customer it is powerful

I mean, people are saying iPad is faster than PC.
Processor
Venice 1.9ghz @ 1.1V on Ninja
Mainboard
MSI MS-7184 Amethyst
Graphics Card
Asus HD4770 Formula
Memory
2GB DDR400 (4x512MB rojak)
Display
Samsung SyncMaster 913V
Storage
WD3200KS on foam
Optical Storage
BenQ DW1650
Casing
Compaq Presario
PSU
Seasonic S12-430
Audio
Audigy -> Zhaolu D3 -> Yulong T-Amp -> Paradigm Atom Monitor v.1 (refoamed)
OS
Windows XP Pro w/SP2

wwenze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #4

i also think the ipad like direction for macbook air is the one apple is targetting, by forcing using users to buy semi optimize crappy version app-: for example photoshop LE instead of full blown photoshop which confirmed will make phone processors crawled.
Many users have noted in apple forum as well apple is in favour of IOS like ecosystem in mojave

Last edited by msaz; 26-02-2019 at 04:31 PM..
msaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 05:32 PM   #5

i also think the ipad like direction for macbook air is the one apple is targetting, by forcing using users to buy semi optimize crappy version app-: for example photoshop LE instead of full blown photoshop which confirmed will make phone processors crawled.
Many users have noted in apple forum as well apple is in favour of IOS like ecosystem in mojave
Its very likely apps will run on the cloud and not on your devices anymore. You don't need a lot of processing power for that.
iCubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 09:20 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

It doesn't need to be powerful

They just need to convince their customer it is powerful

I mean, people are saying iPad is faster than PC.
2020 is not too far away, so we can wait till then to see how this shapes up. I still believe that they will not be able to abandon Intel all at one go because there are folks that uses Macbook Pro for programming and heavy Photoshop usage. Unless they make significant leap in the SOC in the next 2 years, I doubt they are ready to cut ties with Intel, unless otherwise they go for cheaper alternatives from AMD. Anyway I also noticed that Apple is emphasizing and thus allocating more die space for AI, so I don't expect significant improvements coming from the SOCs in the near future. A12 is very fast mainly because they enabled all cores to work under load, instead of the usual high performance and low power SOC strategy, plus and improved GPU.
Processor
Ryzen 5 1600X
Mainboard
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3
Graphics Card
Zotac GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Memory
Klevv DDR4 3000 2x8GB CL14
Display
Dell U2515H
Storage
Samsung 850 Pro & Evo 512GB/ Crucual MX500 500GB/ WD Black 750GB
Optical Storage
LG Bluray Drive
Casing
Fractal Design ARC Mini R2
PSU
Seasonic G550
Audio
Realtek ALC887
OS
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 10:00 PM   #7

The most powerful deca-core consumer ARM processor is only capable of half the raw performance of a Gemini Lake Celeron J3455.

And ARM is notoriously difficult to boot up from. Ask any experienced ARM Linux user; every single ARM platform requires its own custom kernel and custom OS boot image in order to successfully start up. Imagine having X different Windows install ISOs for X different ARM boards (example: Windows 10 ISO for Exynos, Windows 10 ISO for Apple A-x, Windows 10 ISO for Qualcomm Snapdragon SoCs, etc).

Even on Windows, ARM is hell. Remember the new breed of ARM notebooks launched by HP and Lenovo a few months back? Well guess what; a generic Windows 10 ARM image will not boot on those machines. Hackers trying to install their own version of Windows 10 ARM or Linux on those machines also found out that the ARM notebooks completely do not allow USB booting. Accidentally damage or corrupt your embedded Windows 10 ARM install with a borked update and the machine is practically bricked.

Basically, the luxury of having a single generic OS image that can be installed onto any hardware variation in x64 that we take for granted is completely non-existent in ARM.

If ARM is going to be the future of PC computing I'm bailing out. I rather live under continued x64 dominance by Intel and AMD than deal with the above nonsense.

Last edited by Rock-kun; 26-02-2019 at 10:02 PM..
Processor
AMD Phenom II X3 720
Mainboard
Prototype board
Graphics Card
Radeon HD3300 iGPU
Memory
7GB DDR2 667MHz
Display
23" Lenovo ThinkVision T23i-10
Storage
320GB WD Blue
PSU
AcBel 500W
Audio
Onboard
OS
Semi Linux From Scratch over Debian base

Rock-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.