[Recommend] Good Mechanical Keyboard

knightskid

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at getting a new keyboard to be shared with my hubby, not sure what's the real difference between mechanical and membrane (lots of info like clicky feel and lighter taps) but can anyone help me with some more personal thoughts about them? Personally have been using membrane keyboard since the start and I'm only using it for work usage and some normal shortcuts for photoshop. However my hubby is the one who uses it for games so I wouldn't want to dive in to choose a keyboard without considering the benefits for him. He works till quite late and shops at SLS already closed so hard for him to actually go down to the shop to have a feel, weekends he will be at msia so SLS is really out for him.

Also saw some posts about cherry MX keys, what are these also?

Budget wise I'm looking at $60-$80, is this possible? I can extend my Budget if the functions are justified but would also like the option to choose :) thanks in advance for any help ☺️

Ultimately you still have to go down and have a feel of mechanical keyboard as it is indeed personal preference. Go to the shop that is recommended by member here to try out all kind of price range of mechanical keyboard, then if you really like the feel, then ask the shop to recommend you the cheapest one if available, and justify whether is it worth to get or not.

Holee17

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the extremely comprehensive explanation! Saved me the trouble to sift through a pile of unnecessary information online!

So more or less know what to be expected of mechanical keys, just asked my hubby and he agreed that we should get a "red" cherry mx key if possible. Otherwise we would just stick to what is sold with the keys and proceed from there. The keys can be easily interchanged right? If the noise gets really terrible then we would get new keys to replace them. But on the bottom, the main switches they are basically the same right?

Will head down to SLS to have a feel for the keys myself, looks like my hubby would have to trust my judgement on this 😂

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the extremely comprehensive explanation! Saved me the trouble to sift through a pile of unnecessary information online!

So more or less know what to be expected of mechanical keys, just asked my hubby and he agreed that we should get a "red" cherry mx key if possible. Otherwise we would just stick to what is sold with the keys and proceed from there. The keys can be easily interchanged right? If the noise gets really terrible then we would get new keys to replace them. But on the bottom, the main switches they are basically the same right?

Will head down to SLS to have a feel for the keys myself, looks like my hubby would have to trust my judgement on this 😂

The keys are not interchangeable unless you are good with soldering, which is why we strongly recommend to have a feel instead of leap of faith. Keycaps are interchangeable though.

kurui_

Reaction score

Personally think typing on the cherry mx red switches will need some getting used to.

I've got more typos on my Cherry mx red when I changed from my old membrane keyboard recently. Slight depression of the key will register as a keystroke.

But than I've big hands and thick fingers, more prone to pressing 2 keys at a time.

haojie91

Reaction score

Will head down to SLS to have a feel for the keys myself, looks like my hubby would have to trust my judgement on this �
The colours are for the type of switches used which is mounted inside the keyboard, underneath your keys.

Keys or keycaps are the buttons placed on the switch.

Some of the SLS shops do advertise on carousell and have a discounted price if u quote them when buying at SLS so be sure to check so you can save that extra money!

Sent from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry using GAGT

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
usually brown switch is lighter than most membrane keyboards, when i switched from normal kb to mech kb (brown switch), it was pretty light.

Buckbrick

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

For noobs, I don't think it matters whether it's linear or tactile since you don't have any previous reference. Just get the one that feels right for you. The guy at the store recommended brown switches for typing. Says that you're more likely to get typos on linears. When I bought my first mech kb for office, the sound is more of a concern. If you're used to laptop and regular kb, then even the quietest mech switch is noisier. Luckily my colleague's kb is just as clacky so mine's not perceived as annoyingly loud.

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
Here's my experience.
Razer keyboards are dependable after they switched from Kailh to Greetech. Mechanical keyboards in general are dependable and comes with warranty anyway. What it really all comes down to is the noise level and the 'satisfaction' based on the noise level along with those RGB lightings.

1) After more than 1 year of using Razer Blackwidow Chroma (2014) kailh green switch keyboard, I got complains from my partner that it was too noisy especially when I am typing a report at night. As a result, I wanted to get myself a new one. So I did my research for new keyboards. I listen to the comparison of sounds between many different types of keyboards from Cherry MX to the new Razer keyboards like the Orange (quieter) switches to the recently released Razer Chroma Ornata with its hybrid membrane switch along with a metal to simulate a quiet but still mechanical sound and the MX browns and reds.
In the end, I settled for the newer but cheaper Razer Chroma Ornata. The least noisiest of the bunch. For a few reasons.
-Shortest travel distance means I can press keys faster and have all my keys respond without fail to the fast clicks whereas my Blackwidow (2014), I had to press the keys slightly slower for the very fast clicks. My very fast clicks simply refer to me toggling from PC monitor to my TV with the P key not registering well if I do it too fast but with the Ornata, I can go as fast as I can and it will always be accurate without me ending with a duplicated screen or extended screen but precisely the 'Second screen only'. So it gets a thumbs up from me.

2) Another reason why I got yet another Razer series is because of the useful features it gives to the Razer keyboards such as getting Overwatch specific lighting when in game where it will change colours depending on the characters and lighting up the Q key when your ultimate is ready and more. It's just simply gorgeous to look at and brings your keyboard to a whole new level instead of just getting a boring RGB keyboard and just ending it from there.

3) Shortest key distance ever means you can type a lot more quicker than any mechanical keyboards. There is also the new MX silver switches that you can look at as well.

4) Quieter than even the orange switches and the red switches. Many times can I hear people on the other end with mics having their keyboard sounds picked up in games. Not nice to hear. Louder for us due to mic sound level.

5) Recent news from CES mentions that Razer will release a new update soon for their Razer Synapse software where you can add even your PC, fan, led lights from NZXT and more brands to work together. This means that Razer can add these lights into the game experience as well. Wouldn't that be awesome? The moment the game starts, not only the keyboard and mouse changes colour but your entire LED lighting that is connected to your PC as well making you feel that sense of readiness thanks to the ambiance.
Not much other software like the Asus Aura and the MSI light and to the very buggy NZXT Cam software provide that much immersion for a game. At most, the CAM software supports CSGO. :s22:
But Razer Synapse will be combining all the RGB lighting in your system to work cohesively and adds to the level of immersion.

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
I saw the so call game experience on games like overwatch. It's cool but useless at the same time when 98% of the time you are focusing at the monitor and not looking at your KB.

tigerwoods

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My mechanical keyboard just arrived from taobao �
Ordered on 301216 very fast delivery

0WpCv6Ol.jpg

Sent from my Android using GAGT

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.