Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From Device Manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

click on that and you should see the status of your SATA controller

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Intel just announced that it has identified a bug in the 6-series chipset, specifically in its SATA controller. Intel states that "In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives.".

The Failure Manifested
I asked Intel how we’d know if we had a failure on our hands. The symptoms are pretty simple to check for. Intel says you’d see an increase in bit error rates on a SATA link over time. Transfers will retry if there is an error but eventually, if the error rate is high enough, you’ll see reduced performance as the controller spends more time retrying than it does sending actual data.

Ultimately you could see a full disconnect - your SATA drive(s) would not longer be visible at POST or you’d see a drive letter disappear in Windows.

It’s Limited to 3Gbps Ports Only
Interestingly enough the problem doesn’t affect ports 0 & 1 on the 6-series chipset. Remember that Intel has two 6Gbps ports and four 3Gbps ports on P67/H67, only the latter four are impacted by this problem.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall

wtfh4x

Master Member
Reaction score
Intel just announced that it has identified a bug in the 6-series chipset, specifically in its SATA controller. Intel states that "In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives.".

The Failure Manifested
I asked Intel how we’d know if we had a failure on our hands. The symptoms are pretty simple to check for. Intel says you’d see an increase in bit error rates on a SATA link over time. Transfers will retry if there is an error but eventually, if the error rate is high enough, you’ll see reduced performance as the controller spends more time retrying than it does sending actual data.

Ultimately you could see a full disconnect - your SATA drive(s) would not longer be visible at POST or you’d see a drive letter disappear in Windows.

Interestingly enough the problem doesn’t affect ports 0 & 1 on the 6-series chipset. Remember that Intel has two 6Gbps ports and four 3Gbps ports on P67/H67, only the latter four are impacted by this problem.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall

If that's the case, the SATA3 ports should still work though.

ZhuTou!

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

The Failure Manifested

All ports cannot detect
I think probably not this issue ba

Sent from #imalonelydriver using GAGT

ZhuTou!

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From Device Manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

click on that and you should see the status of your SATA controller
Cannot even boot to windows
How to see lol

Ah Ken

Reaction score
Most likely controller dead already. My Z68 also on the edge of dead last year... USB ports are gone, followed by PCIe slot... Either upgrade or find a replacement board liao.

namex123

Reaction score
Check Your Psu sata connector any power maybe got issues
try other power connector.
or Remove cmos battery
or Get a New Sata cable

so interesting sata port dead never heard before =:p

ZhuTou!

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Check Your Psu sata connector any power maybe got issues
try other power connector.
or Remove cmos battery
or Get a New Sata cable

so interesting sata port dead never heard before =:p
Ya first time encounter also
Mobo alive but sata dead :s13:

jiangxue

Reaction score
Ssd, hdd, cdrom, all cannot detect by all sata ports
I can go into the bios, ram/cpu info all there but sata ports no drive detected
Any possible idea whats wrong?
Mobo spoil?

My rig quite long alr, many yrs
Specs can see from my right

Actually the same **** happened to my Asrock Z77 ITX.

Gotta plug and replug the sata cable at the mobo a few times. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Just gotta keep trying....

ZhuTou!

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually the same **** happened to my Asrock Z77 ITX.

Gotta plug and replug the sata cable at the mobo a few times. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Just gotta keep trying....
Think all dead alr
Plug unplug many times liao

namex123

Reaction score
Ya first time encounter also
Mobo alive but sata dead :s13:

You need to check the bios setting Onboard Sata Controller = is Enable?. if i disable all my sata port dead too.

Example
wIpsUKB.jpg

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.