The AMD Zen2 Ryzen 3000 Discussion Thread

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
imo, Zen2 still has way better cost performance than Zen3 for now.

So unless, you need/want/die die must have Zen3 breaking gaming performance, probably better to wait till the current situation has stabilised.

Of course, who can tahan waiting the next few months? lol
I am in the same thinking therefore got the 3800x + x470 hero for my new upgrade :)

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
May I know if anyone is using Asus crosshair x470 hero + R7 3800x and how does it performance so far?

I am in the same thinking therefore got the 3800x + x470 hero for my new upgrade :)
Still very potent combo especially if you can use the following to overclock the 3800X further.

This is the latest C7H Wifi beta BIOS from Peter/Shamino of Asus fame
Dropbox BIOS

Someone at OCN forums had tried it out and found the Fmax feature sneaked in by Peter.
Source

Have fun!

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Still very potent combo especially if you can use the following to overclock the 3800X further.

Dropbox BIOS

Someone at OCN forums had tried it out and found the Fmax feature sneaked in by Peter.
Source

Have fun!
Wow this is great, let me try it :) Many thanks.

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Dropbox BIOS

Source

Have fun!
Opps my Vii Hero is without Wifi, therefore i think i cant use the bios in the dropbox :)

I am currently using the official BIOS as following

ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO BIOS 3103
"01. [E] Improve system performance.
02. Update AMD AM4 AGESA Combo PI V1 1.0.0.6

many thanks again.

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sadly iirc, think they recently disabled USB flashback cross-flashing between the 2 models.

So much o'c fun missed out for you...

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Sadly iirc, think they recently disabled USB flashback cross-flashing between the 2 models.

So much o'c fun missed out for you...
Hahaha it is still ok as currently I am still able to have the 4.3 GHz on the fastest core AND stable with air cooler.

it is already very much faster and smooth during game play than my previous i5-7600k @ OC 4.8GHz.

i will probably take some time to familiar with Ryzen CPU as this is my very first AMD DIY :)

Ian

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
How much is XT? Can we still buy 3600 variant now?

Yes, Ryzen 3600 is available now after nearly 3 months of shortage.
Stock came yesterday and partially delivered to SLS on the same day itself.
While the remaining shops will get theirs on Monday.

So it should be available now for purchase to answer your queries.

arvinsim

Reaction score
Yes, Ryzen 3600 is available now after nearly 3 months of shortage.
Stock came yesterday and partially delivered to SLS on the same day itself.
While the remaining shops will get theirs on Monday.

So it should be available now for purchase to answer your queries.

Gonna got the 3600 as placeholder CPU if Ryzen 5000 stocks are not stable until next year.

Antisocial

Reaction score
Updated my B450M Mortar Ti from Jul 2019 Bios to latest. BIOS boot times cut from 18 to 9 secs, MT scores +2%, mem latency cut from 71.8 ns to 70.3ns, shaved off ~15W power draw in idle by disabling the (stupid and useless) SoC/Uncore OC mode.

Regretting not doing this sooner.

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Gonna got the 3600 as placeholder CPU if Ryzen 5000 stocks are not stable until next year.
Zen3 is definitely a great upgrade so thanks to AMD but...

R5 3600 usually sells for ~S$250 avg
R5 5600X usually sells for ~S$450 avg (if you can get one)

It's ~80% price increase for ~25% performance increase so unless one really cannot tahan... imo, better to cool oneself down and wait. =:p

arvinsim

Reaction score
Zen3 is definitely a great upgrade so thanks to AMD but...

R5 3600 usually sells for ~S$250 avg
R5 5600X usually sells for ~S$450 avg (if you can get one)

It's ~80% price increase for ~25% performance increase so unless one really cannot tahan... imo, better to cool oneself down and wait. =:p

Ah but it's not the 5600x I want, its the 5900x/5950x.

Figured that these would be very hard to get. Would be waiting a long time to get these

williamtyc

Reaction score
Just built my first AMD pc for myself after decided to retire my i7-4700, my build on the right. decide to take 3900X over 5800X for the extra cores and threads for my work purposes since they cost similar. Happy with the build at the moment. But can someone advice how to over clock the CPU easily? TIA

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just built my first AMD pc for myself after decided to retire my i7-4700, my build on the right. decide to take 3900X over 5800X for the extra cores and threads for my work purposes since they cost similar. Happy with the build at the moment. But can someone advice how to over clock the CPU easily? TIA

You should install Ryzen Master and leave the mode at "Default" (not "Auto Overclocking"). It does an excellent job of OCing the CPU for you.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

The Memory Clock should be set at half your RAM speed i.e. 1800.

williamtyc

Reaction score
i did the 1800 ram speed in bios and the system won't boot, maybe there is some issues or the ram doesn't do what it is advertised. i'm keeping the ram speed at 3200 for now, that is memory clock of 1600 and is fine. Will try the ryzen master way later :) thanks

hg2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i did the 1800 ram speed in bios and the system won't boot, maybe there is some issues or the ram doesn't do what it is advertised. i'm keeping the ram speed at 3200 for now, that is memory clock of 1600 and is fine. Will try the ryzen master way later :) thanks

You can try from the Ryzen master to set the infinity fabric speed to 1800 works for my 3200 corsair rgb for almost a year.
After i changed to ryzen certified 3600 recently, it's all plug&play...

As for OC, there isn't much headroom for Ryzen chips at most you squeeze extra 100mhz out of it... there are many videos on youtube teaching the basic steps. There is a dummy tools call clocktuner, which u can try to see if you strike silicon lottery...

Last edited:

FatalethaL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, hope you guys are doing well. I am seeing some familiar names in this part of the forum. :)

BTW, I planning to change my 1700 to 3900 cpu with my mobo.

Any idea where to get good lobang on black friday?

Proximus

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if AMD Curve Optimizer : VF-curve offset test per core works with Zen2?

This feature is added to most X570 BIOS but not sure if Zen 2 chips can benefit from it. If yes, how to use it effectively.

Proximus

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you think it is beneficial to update mobo bios to the latest AGESA for 3000's cpus even though it is mainly for 5000's cpus?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.