The AMD Zen2 Ryzen 3000 Discussion Thread

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys, got a question for Ryzen experts here: I have Profile 1 in RM as 'Coupled' with Mem Clock and Fabric Clock at 1867. But when I click on Ryzen Master 'Home' tab, I see Mem at 1867 but Fabric at 1800, and 'Coupled Mode' is shown as 'Off'.....so, on of off leh.

I have the exact same issue. Thought it was a limitation of my MB.

Ryzen Master "Home" tab will state IF at 1800 and decoupled but other software e.g. AIDA64 will state the "North Bridge Clock" as 1867.

No idea which is right. :s22:

haylui

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My R5 3600 is much hotter than my r7 2700 during idle. About 10°C higher, at 60°C.

AZE

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar/19

Anandtech says otherwise ...

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13544/why-intel-processors-draw-more-power-than-expected-tdp-turbo

Written by the same person.:o

TLDR.
Intel has its default specifications, which works as rated.
Only strict oems/servers system/notebooks integrators etc follow them.
Standard MB from diy markets(Asus, Gigabyte etc) do not necessary want to follow them. Their default Auto values ish different from Intel defaults.
Anandtech, like many other test sites, test everything using "Out-of-the-box" defaults bios settings from the MB makers, which usually directly violates Intel defaults, causing the differences.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The article you quoted also published how AMD rated TDP is a lot lower than its full load mode.

Regardless, as I had said earlier, AMD 3000 series ish still more efficient per clock and per core compared to Intel 9000 series.
At strict defaults, the 3900x will however still draw more power than 9900k in long term sustained load.:o

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
Sorry if it was answered before, but in Asus Tuf x570's UEFI (latest firmware), it's showing 1.472 - 1.48V for my 3900x.

I'm not overclocking. DOCP is enabled for ram to go 3200, but otherwise everything is auto. Should I be worried about longevity?

Rashkae

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry if it was answered before, but in Asus Tuf x570's UEFI (latest firmware), it's showing 1.472 - 1.48V for my 3900x.

I'm not overclocking. DOCP is enabled for ram to go 3200, but otherwise everything is auto. Should I be worried about longevity?

Turn off PBO and set voltage to normal?

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

As long as it is lightly-loaded (i.e. low current flow) while on that voltage, it's fine. My BIOS also shows 1.47V for my 3600. On load, it'd drop down to 1.3x V all-core 100%.

AZE

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

From what I read during my research, AMD had confirmed that it is normal, but the voltage should not stay at that level forever.
It should dynamically increase or decrease depending on boost and load levels.

For voltage monitoring, use Ryzen master for higher accuracy.

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
More crucially is why AMD is boosting the clock & vcore when there is no or minimal load? Its so counterproductive and they're just doing it for the seek of pacifying us customers. Since everyone is complaining Ryzen 3 is not hitting the advertised boost clock.

Phil

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
As long as it is lightly-loaded (i.e. low current flow) while on that voltage, it's fine. My BIOS also shows 1.47V for my 3600. On load, it'd drop down to 1.3x V all-core 100%.

From what I read during my research, AMD had confirmed that it is normal, but the voltage should not stay at that level forever.
It should dynamically increase or decrease depending on boost and load levels.

For voltage monitoring, use Ryzen master for higher accuracy.

Thanks! Will trust AMD and Asus to know what they're doing, and hope they're not trying to induce premature failures....

AZE

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
More crucially is why AMD is boosting the clock & vcore when there is no or minimal load? Its so counterproductive and they're just doing it for the seek of pacifying us customers. Since everyone is complaining Ryzen 3 is not hitting the advertised boost clock.

Phil

Architecture related.
The Zen2 series is technically speaking, still a bunch of quad cores(ccx), that can only communicate with other quads through a bridge interposer chip. And then comms to external memory and devices also go through the same chip.

To reduce inter-ccx delay and latency, and also delay to other devices, the control firmware and the cores will need extremely aggressive prefetching and caching, which also explained why 3000 series have a very large cache compared to previous series and Intel CPUs.

The prefetching and caching and prediction algo will cause rapid boost once in a while even in minimal or no load situation.:o

MrAwesomeX

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My R5 3600 is much hotter than my r7 2700 during idle. About 10°C higher, at 60°C.

You need to change power settings in windows 10 .Typical is between 40-50 degree idle on a decent mid budget fan cooler.Probably lower if you use a good liquid one or Noctua NH-D14 .

The thermals are quite high compared to my previous intel chips near idle but the performance is worth it.

haylui

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You need to change power settings in windows 10 .Typical is between 40-50 degree idle on a decent mid budget fan cooler.Probably lower if you use a good liquid one or Noctua NH-D14 .

The thermals are quite high compared to my previous intel chips near idle but the performance is worth it.

My R7 2700 is beside the R5 3600. Both using same model of heatsink.
The R7 2700 is much lower compare to R5 3600.
I try with your suggestion and see if that improve or not.

MrAwesomeX

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

What cooler are you using?:s12:

If stock or those low budget models then dun expect temperature to be good already :s22:unless you tune cpu fan speed to high speed all the time.

Rashkae

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Make sure you installed the Ryzen drivers, change power plan to Ryzen Balanced

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You folks noticed something unique with the stock wraith prism cooler?

Unlike most coolers, the heat pipes are in direct contact with the IHS.

This might be a strong hint that conventional HSF & waterblocks with a solid metal block base is unable transfer heat fast enough.

Coupled this with the off-centered chiplets and crazy high vcore @ idle resulted in never seen before high idle temps.

I'm not getting really low CPU temp even with a 3 x 360mm rads custom loop which is crazy. No, its not contact issue too because I reapplied thermal paste & the first time it spread nicely across the IHS.

Phil

acechub

Reaction score
You folks noticed something unique with the stock wraith prism cooler?

Unlike most coolers, the heat pipes are in direct contact with the IHS.

This might be a strong hint that conventional HSF & waterblocks with a solid metal block base is unable transfer heat fast enough.

Coupled this with the off-centered chiplets and crazy high vcore @ idle resulted in never seen before high idle temps.

I'm not getting really low CPU temp even with a 3 x 360mm rads custom loop which is crazy. No, its not contact issue too because I reapplied thermal paste & the first time it spread nicely across the IHS.

Phil

direct contact heat pipes are usually only found on low to mid end hsf like the popular cm hyper 212. high end hsf uses solid base.

if that is a strong hint then the wraith prism should show good temps but that is not the case as at best it is only comparable to low end hsf without extra cost.

you will not get really low temps because of the very high thermal density of ryzen 3000. in addition, most hsf are optimized for intel slightly concave ihs & as such making contact with ryzen slightly convex ihs not optimal.

my 3600x idles @30+ realbench/cinebench multi core @high 70 & gaming @60+ with ambient temp @27-30 using lgmrt on air.

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
by idle means just surfing edmw and open some youtube?

can use hwinfo and log the average temp. for me, i dont see much diff between 3950x & 5960x on average usage, amd average highest is still under 40c, which is for cpu(tctl).

the max temp could a bit higher because amd using race to sleep timings. fast boost and drop clocks fast.

got turn on cool n quiet ppc2 c-states etc in bios? these help. lastly try playing with vcore offset undervolting.

kingsen

Reaction score
Hi all. Is 3700x + tomahawk max still the best combo now for 1440p 165hz gaming?
Any idea where to get the best price for this package now ah, just the cpu and mobo.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using GAGT

shadey

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Is 3700x + tomahawk max still the best combo now for 1440p 165hz gaming?
Any idea where to get the best price for this package now ah, just the cpu and mobo.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using GAGT

Not the best, but the best combo on a budget.

Got price guides on HWZ bro.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.