The AMD Zen2 Ryzen 3000 Discussion Thread

Gaminator

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have the 3900X in my profile, cooled by a Tt Water 3.0 360 AIO, temp's hovering around 38C-42C idle, hits about 68C after about 40 mins of UT3. Highest I've seen is about 78C. Room has aircon on, set at 24C.....

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have the 3900X in my profile, cooled by a Tt Water 3.0 360 AIO, temp's hovering around 38C-42C idle, hits about 68C after about 40 mins of UT3. Highest I've seen is about 78C. Room has aircon on, set at 24C.....

These are Ctl or die temps?

My cooling is 3 x 360mm slim rads with CPU, GPU n VRM blocks. Fans all intakes throttled via coolant temp. Air is filtered by demciflex filters. D5 pump running full speed.

My idle Ctl temp is almost on par with yours except for random spikes up to 50c. Fan running around 1200rpm++

Gaming with MW5 goes up to 50c++. Fan running 1500rpm++

AIDA64 stress test 60++. Fan 1800rpm++

Add another 10c for die temp. Room temp around 30c.

Phil

Last edited:

Rashkae

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

My cooling is 3 x 360mm slim rads with CPU, GPU n VRM blocks. Fans all intakes throttled via coolant temp. Air is filtered by demciflex filters. D5 pump running full speed.

My idle Ctl temp is almost on par with yours except for random spikes up to 50c. Fan running around 1200rpm++

Gaming with MW5 goes up to 50c++. Fan running 1500rpm++

AIDA64 stress test 60++. Fan 1800rpm++

Add another 10c for die temp. Room temp around 30c.

Phil

MW5 is fun, but I do see the boost in MWO numbers again

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MW5 is fun, but I do see the boost in MWO numbers again

Could you share what magic sauce you used to tame ya 3950x?

Now that my loop is fully bleed, the load temps are fine, but I still find idle temp too high.

My observations are the vcore is always high, rarely dropping below 1V, while clock speed fluctuates mainly between 3.4 and 4.5Ghz even when I've nothing but Asus AI Suite running.

Phil

Rashkae

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Could you share what magic sauce you used to tame ya 3950x?

Now that my loop is fully bleed, the load temps are fine, but I still find idle temp too high.

My observations are the vcore is always high, rarely dropping below 1V, while clock speed fluctuates mainly between 3.4 to 4.5Ghz even when I've nothing but Asus AI Suite running.

Phil

1. Don't run Asus AI. I check temps with Ryzen Master
2. I use a Corsair h115i RGB platinum, front air intake
3. I've tried both the Ryzen Balanced and the Usmus power plan, both are about the same for temps to me.

Random bursts are normal in the chiplet architecture

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. Don't run Asus AI. I check temps with Ryzen Master
2. I use a Corsair h115i RGB platinum, front air intake
3. I've tried both the Ryzen Balanced and the Usmus power plan, both are about the same for temps to me.

Random bursts are normal in the chiplet architecture

No choice. I need AI Suite to customize my fan curves. Bios version is broken right now.

Additionally, most monitoring software are unable to display stats like w_in temp n flow rate implemented thru Asus' own hardware controller chip.

I don't like AI Suite and suspects its performance mode is causing the high vcore & freq @ idle.

Should have used my Aquacomputer Aquaero 6, but getting crazy tight in my o11.

Phil

Last edited:

Rashkae

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No choice. I need AI Suite to customize my fan curves. Bios version is broken right now.

Additionally, most monitoring software are unable to display stats like w_in temp n flow rate implemented thru Asus' own hardware controller chip.

I don't like AI Suite and suspects its performance mode is causing the high vcore & freq @ idle.

Should have used my Aquacomputer Aquaero 6, but getting crazy tight in my o11.

Phil

Yeah the Asus Software is well known to cause a lot of spikes. I use iCue and it's not as aggressive.

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah the Asus Software is well known to cause a lot of spikes. I use iCue and it's not as aggressive.

Anyway, just not satisfied with the idle temp with the cooling I deployed niah. My rig is 100% stable n quiet when surfing Web, watching YouTube n even photo editing.

Phil

Rashkae

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyway, just not satisfied with the idle temp with the cooling I deployed niah. My rig is 100% stable n quiet when surfing Web, watching YouTube n even photo editing.

Phil

Yeah I keep mine silent as well, all fans (140mm) at 45% only

Gaminator

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dunno leh, just monitoring on Ryzen Master (RM)...:o

The Ryzen CPU's have this tendency to have wild temp spikes, temps can be 39C at idle, but open Chrome or Firefox and the temp may spike up anywhere from 5C to 10C.....really weird. When I hit the 'clear log' tab on RM, temps would just drop to 39C again.

Rashkae

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dunno leh, just monitoring on Ryzen Master (RM)...:o

The Ryzen CPU's have this tendency to have wild temp spikes, temps can be 39C at idle, but open Chrome or Firefox and the temp may spike up anywhere from 5C to 10C.....really weird. When I hit the 'clear log' tab on RM, temps would just drop to 39C again.

Perfectly normal. When there is a sudden activity burst (cache management, etc) the core will of course heat up. But because of the small die size, it takes a bit of time for the IHS to absorb the heat, so wild temperature fluctuations are normal and expected.

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
3000 Ryzen migrated users, you find win10 very snappy?
Not sure is because of new pcie4 ssd or intel security mitigations.
But switching from old haswell-e to zen2, my apps is noticeably more responsive.

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now that I've been using my rig for gaming & work, I'm starting to forget all about the crazy heat spikes as it runs smoothly and quiet. Q now is whether to overclock. A bit lazy plus the system is so responsive so no urgency right now.

Phil

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually zen2 'over clock' is easy, enable pbo, enable autooc +200, change base clock to 101. Should add another 200 mhz to your load.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.