HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Asus Anti-Surge & PC Keeps restarting whenever gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-03-2019, 12:38 PM   #1

Exclamation Asus Anti-Surge & PC Keeps restarting whenever gaming

Hi all, i recently did some upgrade to my PC rig.

Firstly, I upgraded my RAM from 8GB to 16GB. Supposed to be 24GB in total but one of my RAM slots obstructed by my Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler, so i decided to just use 16GB for now. I eventually plan to switch to water cooling which will also free up the space. After switching my RAM, did not encounter any issue during my day-to-day gaming and normal usage.

A week later, I received my new GPU Geforce Palit 2080 Ti so i swapped out my old and outdated Asus AMD R9 390 Strix for my new GPU. Initial start-up and bootup was okay. I decided to test the benchmark in FarCry5 game as it has a built-in benchmark tool. It ran okay for that short period.

This is when the problem starts. Next, i decided to try the performance on Apex Legends game. After i load past the character selection, my computer auto-restarts and in the BIOS i got this error message : "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit. Press F1 to Run Setup". I restarted and tried one more time in Apex Legends and it happened yet again, this time when my character reach the ground level of the map. I went to google and from what i gather, ASUS mobos tend to have this anti-surge feature, probably as part of a 'kiasu' initiative with an overall good intention although it may be too sensitive in the voltage detection threshold. Some suggested to turn off the Anti-Surge feature, and so i did. I switched it off and reboot my PC, start up Apex legends again, and the same thing happened, only this time without the error message popping up any longer since i switched off anti-surge feature.

So now i am left thinking what are the possible issues and i have mainly 2 suspects:

1. My Power Supply Unit is failing or faulty. I have a history with this particular Seasonic model.
a. Back in 2015 when i first bought it and built up my PC, it would give me constant restarts so i brought it back to the retail store and switched for a new set. Ever since then, that problem resolved.

b. The PSU have a hybrid-mode and a normal mode which can be changed according to the switch accessible from inside of the setup and i notice the past 3 years+ i have been using it on hybrid mode. So about 50% of the times when i try to turn on my PC with the casing power switch, my PC will refuse to startup, although the interior parts LED are active. It may take from any random time of a few minutes to 10minutes+ before suddenly it boots up. So when i installed my new RAM a week ago, i decided to switch the PSU to normal mode. Ever since then, it did felt that the PC bootup is more responsive and i haven't had any reccurrence with this 'laggy' and 'random' bootup so far. For this particular issue, i was thinking it could either be the hybrid mode feature being faulty, or my casing Switch or switch's wire connection being faulty?

c. The recent error message "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit. Press F1 to Run Setup". I start to doubt whether my PSU is working properly once i see this message as well. I remembered i got this PSU to help future proof myself as it was 750W which is more than the recommended 650W requirement to run the Geforce RTX 2080TI and it has a gold 80 rating which should mean i get more than enough power to run my PC.

All in all, faulty (but not completely broken) PSU is my top suspect as it seems normal computer internet or desktop usage does not seem to result in the restart and error message.

2. My new GPU has an issue. I am not an expert by any means but could it be that my GPU may be faulty to the point it draws way more power than it should? I am not sure myself, but since this is new part it is possible that my new 2080TI GPU card has some issue. As i ordered it online, when i received the package the box was damaged at the sides. Not sure how that might have impacted my card although my first impressions is 'Should not be' as the interior GPU unit is all intact with no broken pieces, together with the styrofoam cushion.

Really appreciate it if anybody can point me in the right direction to resolving this issue. I spent quite a bit on the new GPU (as i felt it was time to upgrade after these years of holding back) and it sucks to see my current rig failing on me for reasons i cannot comprehend at the moment. There seems to be two actions i can take but not sure whether to 1) RMA my PSU, OR 2) get a new replacement unit for my GPU. If problem still persists, it may be due to the other action which i did not take? Help please!

My current specs are these:

Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K Skylake 3.50 GHz Quad-Core
RAM: Kingston Hyperx Predator DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB (Previous G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666mhz 2x4GB)
GPU: Palit GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GamingPro 11GB DDR6 (Previous ASUS STRIX Radeon R9 390 OC 8 GB DDR5)
PSU: Seasonic Gold Series X-750 80 Plus Gold rating
HDD: WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM
Case: Fractal R5 Black Window

Last edited by xhera46; 31-03-2019 at 01:00 PM..
xhera46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

try using 2 separate pcie cables for the 8+8pin on gpu, juz to test see how...
hlots123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 02:45 PM   #3

try using 2 separate pcie cables for the 8+8pin on gpu, juz to test see how...
i checked, already been using 2 separate cables.
Old 31-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

then suggest u bring psu down corbell to check, if u have dbl cfm gpu is properly seated & pcie cables connection ok at both ends...
u can also try setting a framerate limit to see if dat helps or not, but even if it does help u shudn't have to in 1st place...

i hav the same x750 (hybrid disabled), with z170 (anti surge off) and 8+8 pin gpu - hope it lasts me longer *touch wood*

gud luk!
hlots123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 04:17 PM   #5

omg... this is so helpful cos the same thing was happening....changes the cables and no issues now
Old 31-03-2019, 05:19 PM   #6

then suggest u bring psu down corbell to check, if u have dbl cfm gpu is properly seated & pcie cables connection ok at both ends...
u can also try setting a framerate limit to see if dat helps or not, but even if it does help u shudn't have to in 1st place...

i hav the same x750 (hybrid disabled), with z170 (anti surge off) and 8+8 pin gpu - hope it lasts me longer *touch wood*

gud luk!
yeah, not sure whether it is my PSU or GPU problem. Or even a Mobo problem at worst. bring to corbell to check, or the store which i bought it from? i know now the xseries already phased out so bring to store also useless?

cool, nice to see we have a lot of common parts. the 8+8 pins i used is same as my previous R9 390, back then it only use 8+6. so now i just add in the other 2 hanging out previously. sad i cannot use my 2080ti, currently revert back to my r9 390 until i either go check psu or gpu.
Old 31-03-2019, 07:53 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Can try running this to test for stability:
http://www.ocbase.com/
Processor
AMD Ryzen™ 5 2600
Mainboard
Asus TUF B450M-PLUS
Graphics Card
EVGA GTX 1080
Memory
Corsair 2x8GB CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
Display
HP E272q
Storage
MZVKW512HMJP / MKNSSDEC1TB / ST1000DM005 / DT01ACA200
Casing
Thermaltake Core V21
PSU
Superflower Leadex 550W
Audio
Creative Inspire T5800 5.1
OS
Windows 10 Home

xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.