HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Custom PC Build -- RMA Parts (What are members knowledge and experiences like?)

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2021, 09:04 PM   #16
Master Member

5500XT 8GB is quite an upgrade from RX 570 4GB. Ban Leong could have given you the 4GB version instead.
Yup, and fast turnaround...very positive experience lol...
Processor
Intel I7-8700K@5Ghz
Mainboard
Gigabyte Z390M Gaming
Graphics Card
Palit Gamerock 3070 OC
Memory
4x8Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
Display
Dell S2417DG
PSU
Evga G2 850W
OS
Windows 10 Pro

Richliao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:16 PM   #17
Arch-Supremacy Member

Let me share my first and only rma experience. Gpu every now and then would black screen. It was Asus expedition rx570 4gb.

Sent in to ban leong on 23rd Dec 2020, got a call on 5th Jan asking if me OK with replacement of 5500xt 8gb. Told him me ok, today ban leong called and said can collect. Collected a brand new sealed in box set.
That's great for u man, though its really weird that they will give you a brand new in box set. As for me, I've been doing these stuffs for about 15 years. At first I had good experiences but in the recent years standard has dropped.
Richliao likes this.
Mainboard
Asrock B550M PRO4
Graphics Card
ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10G
Memory
G.SKILL RIPJAWS V 3600MHz CL16 2*8GB @ 1.38V
Display
BenQ EX2510 MOBIUZ Gaming IPS 144hz 1ms Monitor
Storage
WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB
Casing
Fractal Design Mini C
PSU
Super Flower Leadex II 750W
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster G3 USB-C DAC AMP
OS
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Phen8210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:33 PM   #18
Supremacy Member

What? Then buy local for what if have to pay shipping?
I think this happened >15 years ago. Maybe it's not the case any more
Old 12-01-2021, 09:41 PM   #19

Ty for sharing.

a. did you self-diagnose to isolate root cause of issue?
b. Self-RMA with distributor again. .. I've been quite naive+noob. Think I will do it in the future, even before my 'retailer's warranty of 1-yr coverage expires', too!!
c. wow, that's around 20 days for local replacement GPU component. icic.
I pray that you were in better shape than me, in terms of having a 2nd workable computing unit to fall back on. Gratz it's done deed now.
if you are in urgent use of PC, should have just bought new motherboard +cpu to use and sell your RMA items. but 1st of all i am skeptical to trust the shop you go to when they cannot even be certain of the which component is failing.
transparos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:45 PM   #20
Arch-Supremacy Member

The common problems I face when RMA-ING stuff in most of the distros is unable to get hold of them, empty promises and lack of technical ability. Sometimes it's like the conversation didn't take place. I usually contact to ask if have stock exchange, told me they have stock and can come down and its written in form of email.

So there was a time. I dismantled everything knowing that the distro has prepared an exchange for me. Went down with my part for exchange, reach front counter already they tested my part and acknowledged is faulty. Then they start to search their inventory and told me sorry no stock everywhere we tried our best.

Asked them if any other model available, no other model available. Then tried to issue me a unit that is in unknown condition. I asked him to test the motherboard first before issuing. He proceed to test and put ram inside NO POST.

I told them I can't accept that board because it seemed to have an intermittent issue and they lied saying they tested the board. Then they told me I am unlucky, without providing a better resolution.

I given up, I had to think a resolution on my own. I asked them for their stock inventory, I will choose a motherboard and TOP UP for it.

Can u guys imagine? A customer having to think of a resolution for himself in behalf of the service center. Furthermore, the part was just $20 more and they couldn't even waive it and offer it as an apology. On the other hand their prices are marked up like nobody business. Proves a lot man.

My RMA process to overseas manufacturer is smoother than this, not even kidding.
Mainboard
Asrock B550M PRO4
Graphics Card
ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10G
Memory
G.SKILL RIPJAWS V 3600MHz CL16 2*8GB @ 1.38V
Display
BenQ EX2510 MOBIUZ Gaming IPS 144hz 1ms Monitor
Storage
WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB
Casing
Fractal Design Mini C
PSU
Super Flower Leadex II 750W
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster G3 USB-C DAC AMP
OS
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Phen8210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:45 PM   #21
Master Member

Ty for sharing.

a. did you self-diagnose to isolate root cause of issue?
b. Self-RMA with distributor again. .. I've been quite naive+noob. Think I will do it in the future, even before my 'retailer's warranty of 1-yr coverage expires', too!!
c. wow, that's around 20 days for local replacement GPU component. icic.
I pray that you were in better shape than me, in terms of having a 2nd workable computing unit to fall back on. Gratz it's done deed now.
yup, more or less i confirmed is gpu faulty. sent an email to distro and technical guy replied told me to bring down my gpu. He accepted the gpu without testing though.

regarding self rma, some may prefer retailer doing it on their behalf as sls maybe a much more convenient location for them and sls shops are open over the weekends.
freakkler likes this.
Processor
Intel I7-8700K@5Ghz
Mainboard
Gigabyte Z390M Gaming
Graphics Card
Palit Gamerock 3070 OC
Memory
Display
Dell S2417DG
PSU
Evga G2 850W
OS
Windows 10 Pro

Old 13-01-2021, 07:17 AM   #22
High Supremacy Member

yup, more or less i confirmed is gpu faulty. sent an email to distro and technical guy replied told me to bring down my gpu. He accepted the gpu without testing though.

regarding self rma, some may prefer retailer doing it on their behalf as sls maybe a much more convenient location for them and sls shops are open over the weekends.
Sls shops are not obligated to do this for customers. If they did, its based on your relationship with the shop. Not all will 100% get the same treatment.
freakkler likes this.
Mainboard
MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Graphics Card
Palit GTX 1080Ti FE w/ AQC Kyrographics Nickel Plated Acrylic Glass water block
Memory
G.Skill SniperX 2x 8GB 3200Mhz CL16
Display
Samsung C32HG70 32" 1440p 144Hz HDR
Storage
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB (OS) / Lexar NS100 512GB (games) / Toshiba 5TB HDD
Optical Storage
这能不能吃的啊?
Casing
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic / 6x Gentle Typhoons AP-15 / 2x Bitspower Leviathan Slim 360mm Radiators
PSU
Superflower Leadex III 850W 80+ Gold with Silver Sleeved Cables + Cable Combs
Audio
Topping DX7 DAC / JBL LSR305 Speakers / JBL LSR310s Subwoofer
OS
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

shadow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 12:47 PM   #23

Honestly, the only time I didn't get an immediate replacement was for my Palit GTX 970 from Convergent. Waited like 3 months over CNY for them to ship to Taiwan and fix. I did get a loaner GT 610, but really should have insisted to top up for a 1060...

Most of the time, the distro should have spare stock, sometimes you might need to top up a bit, but it is quite rare (in my case at least) for them to be completely out of anything to replace your broken stuff with. Also I'm staying from AsRock motherboards for the foreseeable future.

My RMA with AMD and Intel (thanks International Warranty ) only took like 1-2 weeks, so waiting 4-8 weeks for a CPU seems pretty unreasonable.
freakkler likes this.
Processor
AMD RYZEN 5 3600 + Deepcool GAMMAXX GTE
Mainboard
ASRock B450 Steel Legend
Graphics Card
Palit RTX 3070 GamingPro OC
Memory
2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600
Display
Acer VG252Q P
Storage
Intel 660p 2TB + Crucial MX500 500GB
Optical Storage
My case no space lah
Casing
NZXT H500
PSU
EVGA G+ 650W
Audio
Need audio card meh?
OS
Windows 10 64 bit

jasonwsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 02:52 AM   #24

if you are in urgent use of PC, should have just bought new motherboard +cpu to use and sell your RMA items. but 1st of all i am skeptical to trust the shop you go to when they cannot even be certain of the which component is failing.
I am indeed in urgent use of PC. Currently, staring down a black dark tunnel (Cybermind retailer, Corbell). The problem root cause of my custom PC RANDOMLY
a) not booting and
b) losing power (shutdown) after running for xxx hours is still un-specific.
If I knew what's the issue is, at least I can spend unwanted extra dollars to get a working PC while, waiting-cut loss with whom & what parts to deal attention on.

Cybermind is super unresponsive on how their diagnosis (tests run, procedures e.g. isolation of component test or combination), over texts/calls. Reckon I have to run down (wasted time) just to grab hold of information.

Just this afternoon, I finally managed to grab hold of Corbell technical person, Mr. Liao, after serveral calls attempts, plus convincing I am the end user of parts. Long story short, Cybermind could not (will not) provide me with issued RMA from Corbell from last Friday (sent in via Corbell salesguy) till today at 12.52pm. That's some freaking worrisome 3-working-days delay of communicating RMA number. -__-

1. Mr Liao explains he has seen video of run test (overload on stress test software by Cybermind) but he can't accept it, as he can't replicate power loss on MB, CPU parts separately and in combination.
2. Now await anxiously just to know which is exactly the faulty component(s) or will kena misdirected again. TRust is certainly damaged with Cybermind to troubleshoot my PC technical woe ...
3. Have you guys know of a certain Service Repair guy (Mr Calvin) in SLS in terms of his reputation -- skills, charges etc?

--------------
It's been a week comes dawn later today, Thursday.
I just like to know what the problems are, and of course, resolve it minimally (time, costs above beyond parts warranty by makers/distros).
Processor
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Mainboard
MSI AMD B450 Tomahwak Max
Graphics Card
Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB
Memory
G.Skill Flare X DDR4 3200 CL16 (2x8GB)
PSU
Seasonic S12III 650W Bronze
OS
Win 10 Home

freakkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 03:21 AM   #25

The common problems I face when RMA-ING stuff in most of the distros is unable to get hold of them, empty promises and lack of technical ability. Sometimes it's like the conversation didn't take place. I usually contact to ask if have stock exchange, told me they have stock and can come down and its written in form of email.

So there was a time. I dismantled everything knowing that the distro has prepared an exchange for me. Went down with my part for exchange, reach front counter already they tested my part and acknowledged is faulty. Then they start to search their inventory and told me sorry no stock everywhere we tried our best.

Asked them if any other model available, no other model available. Then tried to issue me a unit that is in unknown condition. I asked him to test the motherboard first before issuing. He proceed to test and put ram inside NO POST.

I told them I can't accept that board because it seemed to have an intermittent issue and they lied saying they tested the board. Then they told me I am unlucky, without providing a better resolution.

I given up, I had to think a resolution on my own. I asked them for their stock inventory, I will choose a motherboard and TOP UP for it.

Can u guys imagine? A customer having to think of a resolution for himself in behalf of the service center. Furthermore, the part was just $20 more and they couldn't even waive it and offer it as an apology. On the other hand their prices are marked up like nobody business. Proves a lot man.

My RMA process to overseas manufacturer is smoother than this, not even kidding.
From HWZ friendly inputs to this thread, and my own horrid (slow or wrong diagnosis, no urgency to troubleshoot aka respect aftersales obligations) experience when DIY PC goes wrong, I do understand clearer the issues, pros and cons when it comes to custom builds versus branded PCs. tyty.

Still positive in taking this newbie jump into DIY PC. Just a new awareness. Savings really ain't that big for my budget-mid foray, but the risk when something goes awry is really truly Scary. Impact of damaged PC in modern's living is akin to a broken fridge, burst leaking waterpipe .. etc.

-----------------

Hello Phen, you managed to get communication in terms of email, writings? It's like unmanned, ghosted when I tried touchpoints like FB, email, phone call (ancient method) to contact Corbell distro. https://corbell.com.sg/ Must have taken days/weeks??? Mmm

Any advice [AnyOne] on for me to move my case forward? aka fix my PC (intermittent random power problems) in reasonably time/cost pathline.

1. I can go down to Corbell office in person but I myself unsure if it's 100% MB+CPU (although I have video from Cybermind of the fault outcome). Cybermind is keeping silent (today's WhatsApp / calls) on how they narrowed/confident it's MB+CPU. .. damn )

2. Take my entire rig, breakaway (trust loss) with Cybermind's 1-Yr dignosis/rectification ********. .. to someone else to diagnose with care & skill before I can go claim RMA dispute. Sighz.
This is so so wrong for retailer to discharge aftersales duty...

Hi Molotov / Others:
3. Any recommendation (quick turnaround, good skills) for diagnosis troubleshoot?
a. Convergent
b. PCThemes
c. Others

Thanks once again for taking time and sharing valuable insights on #LOCAL #RMA

------------------
P.s.s.s
For those dabbling in DIY custom PCs (for far longer time period, like years and years), have you ever considered sending in feedback to (idk) MTI, EnterpriseSG, IMDA, MPs (HA Ha HA) on this market sector inefficiency. Specifically the 8-10 weeks timeline of diagnosis delay-wait, plus 'order wait' periood due to "no buffer stock of product(X)"

Last edited by freakkler; 14-01-2021 at 03:23 AM.. Reason: adding break lines to delineate into 3 sections
Processor
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Mainboard
Graphics Card
Memory
PSU
OS
Win 10 Home

Old 14-01-2021, 03:43 AM   #26

https://www.facebook.com/PCThemes/po...1026876019180/

It's a Jan 2018 post .. Wow.

Darn, I wish I read this or was made aware by Cybermind before engaging them to build my custom DIY PC ... it's almost 95% similar to Cybermind.

a) customer to reach out to distributors directly recommended, [shoo shoo..away]
b) $40-50 diagnosis fee for PCT customers vs. "Cybermind quoted $20 for post-1year for returning customers". But then again, I guess it's NOT genuine after past week interaction with Cybermind. [pooh pooh]
Processor
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Mainboard
Graphics Card
Memory
PSU
OS
Win 10 Home

Old 14-01-2021, 08:04 AM   #27

I am indeed in urgent use of PC. Currently, staring down a black dark tunnel (Cybermind retailer, Corbell). The problem root cause of my custom PC RANDOMLY
a) not booting and
b) losing power (shutdown) after running for xxx hours is still un-specific.
If I knew what's the issue is, at least I can spend unwanted extra dollars to get a working PC while, waiting-cut loss with whom & what parts to deal attention on.

Cybermind is super unresponsive on how their diagnosis (tests run, procedures e.g. isolation of component test or combination), over texts/calls. Reckon I have to run down (wasted time) just to grab hold of information.

Just this afternoon, I finally managed to grab hold of Corbell technical person, Mr. Liao, after serveral calls attempts, plus convincing I am the end user of parts. Long story short, Cybermind could not (will not) provide me with issued RMA from Corbell from last Friday (sent in via Corbell salesguy) till today at 12.52pm. That's some freaking worrisome 3-working-days delay of communicating RMA number. -__-

1. Mr Liao explains he has seen video of run test (overload on stress test software by Cybermind) but he can't accept it, as he can't replicate power loss on MB, CPU parts separately and in combination.
2. Now await anxiously just to know which is exactly the faulty component(s) or will kena misdirected again. TRust is certainly damaged with Cybermind to troubleshoot my PC technical woe ...
3. Have you guys know of a certain Service Repair guy (Mr Calvin) in SLS in terms of his reputation -- skills, charges etc?

--------------
It's been a week comes dawn later today, Thursday.
I just like to know what the problems are, and of course, resolve it minimally (time, costs above beyond parts warranty by makers/distros).
Understood your frustration in terms of the long waiting and without a backup pc. Probably that time you went to the wrong shop. Not sure who is Calvin but if you at least bought your pc from pcthemes or companies like dreamcore or aftershock, they would provide u with better aftersales services
transparos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 08:56 AM   #28
High Supremacy Member

Try finding Nigel from PC Care & Solutions at lvl 2 in SLS. His shop is in the back alley, shld be near to the sex toys shop. Many would say he is the only trustable 3rd party tester that can help u diagnose your PC. Do give him a call before heading down.
azarel and freakkler like this.
Mainboard
MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Graphics Card
Palit GTX 1080Ti FE w/ AQC Kyrographics Nickel Plated Acrylic Glass water block
Memory
G.Skill SniperX 2x 8GB 3200Mhz CL16
Display
Samsung C32HG70 32" 1440p 144Hz HDR
Storage
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB (OS) / Lexar NS100 512GB (games) / Toshiba 5TB HDD
Optical Storage
这能不能吃的啊?
Casing
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic / 6x Gentle Typhoons AP-15 / 2x Bitspower Leviathan Slim 360mm Radiators
PSU
Superflower Leadex III 850W 80+ Gold with Silver Sleeved Cables + Cable Combs
Audio
Topping DX7 DAC / JBL LSR305 Speakers / JBL LSR310s Subwoofer
OS
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

shadow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 04:28 PM   #29

Understood your frustration in terms of the long waiting and without a backup pc. Probably that time you went to the wrong shop. Not sure who is Calvin but if you at least bought your pc from pcthemes or companies like dreamcore or aftershock, they would provide u with better aftersales services
What does Dreamcore/Aftershock (custom pc makers) offer in terms of warranty coverage and aftersales?
Will they troubleshoot/replace problematic parts timely in their XX-year warranty like branded HP, Dell; or the replacement (RMA) onus is on customers too (like SLS retailers)?
Processor
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Mainboard
Graphics Card
Memory
PSU
OS
Win 10 Home

Old 14-01-2021, 04:34 PM   #30
Master Member

What does Dreamcore/Aftershock (custom pc makers) offer in terms of warranty coverage and aftersales?
Will they troubleshoot/replace problematic parts timely in their XX-year warranty like branded HP, Dell; or the replacement (RMA) onus is on customers too (like SLS retailers)?
Your next purchase should be branded pc...dreamcore and aftershock will have downtime too.
Processor
Intel I7-8700K@5Ghz
Mainboard
Gigabyte Z390M Gaming
Graphics Card
Palit Gamerock 3070 OC
Memory
Display
Dell S2417DG
PSU
Evga G2 850W
OS
Windows 10 Pro

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.