Desktop Chair Roundup - Ergonomic Chair

sseah12

Reaction score
Now s7 only left euro version on chairworker website.. Can't go down to test also.
Just want to do a short update on the Chairworkers S7. If you're interested do read on.

Previously i was quite set on getting an Aeron, but was still pondering if there was something out there that can provide me comfort levels that are close to the Aerons that i sat at my previous workplace. Since it's going to be WFH for a long time for me, i also decided that i'd like to improve not just the chair, but my overall WFH station. I do not have high earning power so was thinking if i can shave off some $$$ from chair i can then get a bigger table to increase eye-to-monitor distance, plus monitor arm to raise the monitor to a more comfortable level.

Long story short, was about to buy Aeron from UI when i stumbled upon the S7. Since UI has many years experience dealing with Aerons their new product S7, which i suspected was UI's new in-house brand, i trust should be of some reasonable standard. So i took the leap of faith since no reviews can be found.

After spending 16 hours everyday for 1 month, here's my finding:
Comfort: S7 >= Aeron (non-remastered)
Mesh Quality: S7 > Aeron
Price: S7 (comes with headrest) is much cheaper than Aeron
Durability: Aeron wins on this because Aeron has been around for many years and only good things have been said about Aeron. S7 is just released so only time will tell how durable it is.

Other than the above, i feel S7 is really going to be a big hit. So do give serious consideration to the S7 if you're looking for an ergo chair. But can't stress enough of what Vulpix always say, if get the chance must try the chair yourself.
Yours is euro version? I tot of getting this or Haworth fern.. Hehe.

pacificstorm

Reaction score
I don't have exact details on their weight but just by feel they both feel about the same. The S7 is really heavy i think about 20kg or so.

Mesh quality its easily S7 > Aeron (non-remastered). The mesh on the S7 has a gentle cotton feel to it. I wear shorts and sometimes topless in an air-con room and the mesh is very comfortable on the skin. Whereas Aeron has a slight stiff and plastic feel on the mesh.

Thanks I do prefer heavier chairs, feels more sturdy and less chance to become turtle face sky.

Any chance u have compared the mesh to the new aerons though?

LaChouette

Reaction score
First of All, There are either Manufacturing/Production/Assembly AND/OR Distribution Plant.

Source: https://www.hermanmiller.com/en_eur/about/our-story/overview/

Manufacturing and Distribution Facilities
Atlanta, GA / Batavia, OH / Hildebran, NC / Holland, MI / Sheboygan, WI /Spring Lake, MI / Stamford, CT / Yaphank, NY /Zeeland, MI

In which for USA only the 2 in MI are production/manufacturing/assembly plants, the rest are Distribution. The others in UK, INDIA, PRC ,Brazil are all Manufacturing/Production/Assembly plants.

Melksham, United Kingdom
Bangalore, India
Dong-guan, China
Sao Paulo, Brazil

IN ALL manufacturing plants, the products and raw materials are SOURCED and manufactured in the surrounding region or area. (IN USA PLANT , For Example 50% of Aeron’s material are sourced within 50 miles of the company's manufacturing sites in west Michigan)

“The company operates globally and tries to MANUFACTURES its products as close to where they will be purchased as possible, in order to better serve customers. It has MANUFACTURING centers in the United States, the United Kingdom, China, India, and Brazil.”

Source: https://www.curbed.com/2018/8/7/17657490/trump-tariffs-china-steel-furniture

ALL Manufacturing plants are eitherwise also known as Assembly or Production Plants.

Source: https://www.lean.org/common/display/?o=1126 (Which also shows you automation depending on how u define it though)

As such, you could also somewhat say HM USA made the INVENTION and the DESIGN, but they source PARTS from USA (90% Above base on Made in USA regulations) to ASSEMBLE in the USA plant.

This would also mean if you buy a PRC Made or Assembled (The word doesn’t matter anymore does it?) – That the product will be assembled or made using PARTS sourced from the region IE around PRC.

Now just to make you happy, India has a PRODUCTION facility, and it is MADE IN INDIA. I am sure if you bothered to you may be able to find MADE/ASSEMBLED/PRODUCED IN UK / BRAZIL but I think you get the point.

" Made in India - Herman Miller announces the opening of its latest Asia PRODUCTION facility in Bidadi”

“The new facility offers a fast-track delivery service, which includes most of Herman Miller’s high performance seating range – Aeron, Mirra 2, Celle and Sayl. Branded “Fastrak”, the MADE IN INDIA offer is designed to cater to the increasing demand for high performance ergonomic solutions.”

Source: http://www.hermanmillerreach.com/en/Post/Story/42

Last but not least, just curious given that HM says its either manufactured in USA or PRC, u would rather trust Xtra an AD.

You quoted so many things and your conclusion is?
Assemble = Made in or Manufactured = Made in
Just a simple question my dude.

Last but not least, just curious given that HM says its either manufactured in USA or PRC, u would rather trust Xtra an AD.
If you want to know what i ate for breakfast, you'd ask me, not ask my mum.
Likewise if i want to know what Xtra is selling, i'd ask them, not ask Herman Miller USA.
Just a good guess, if you emailed HM USA what Xtra is selling, they'd probably ask you to verify with Xtra instead. Again, just a good guess.

Last edited:

pacificstorm

Reaction score
You quoted so many things and your conclusion is?
Assemble = Made in or Manufactured = Made in
Just a simple question my dude.

If you want to know what i ate for breakfast, you'd ask me, not ask my mum.
Likewise if i want to know what Xtra is selling, i'd ask them, not ask Herman Miller USA.
Just a good guess, if you emailed HM USA what Xtra is selling, they'd probably ask you to verify with Xtra instead. Again, just a good guess.

Well it was supposed to be simple but u made it complicated because u quoted Xtra is manufactured USA, Assembled PRC. - which may be misleading.

My point has been clear all along theres either made in USA or made in PRC (well I am very sure in China its written as 产地: 中国) the assembly term is used by Xtra as you have mentioned, nothing in HM PRC website uses another word other than manufacturing or production plant.

Now the what you eat point does fit ur purpose, but the point is this, if HM supplies the Asia market ONLY through PRC or India, there's no way an official AD can be getting Aerons from USA.

This is the least you could gather from HM at least. Now the opposite would be true if HM PRC shutdown and they start to supply USA Aerons as a temporary measure. Similar to what USA is doing right now, sending out PRC Aerons.

At the end of the day, all I am saying is the current batch of Aerons are made in PRC. Thats about it. Why is there a need to complicate things unnecessarily?

Isn't it ridiculous to say the USA factory shut down so its not producing Aerons BUT it can supply manufactured Aerons to PRC meanwhile magically, for PRC to assemble???

pacificstorm

Reaction score
From one of the reviews of remastered Aeron online they mentioned the material of the mesh is the same as old Aeron only the weave pattern was changed.

Thanks, i like the fact that grey s7 is priced the same, just like I like the Aeron in mineral colour but find it ridiculous to pay extra for the colour.

wert

Reaction score
Just want to do a short update on the Chairworkers S7. If you're interested do read on.

Previously i was quite set on getting an Aeron, but was still pondering if there was something out there that can provide me comfort levels that are close to the Aerons that i sat at my previous workplace. Since it's going to be WFH for a long time for me, i also decided that i'd like to improve not just the chair, but my overall WFH station. I do not have high earning power so was thinking if i can shave off some $$$ from chair i can then get a bigger table to increase eye-to-monitor distance, plus monitor arm to raise the monitor to a more comfortable level.

Long story short, was about to buy Aeron from UI when i stumbled upon the S7. Since UI has many years experience dealing with Aerons their new product S7, which i suspected was UI's new in-house brand, i trust should be of some reasonable standard. So i took the leap of faith since no reviews can be found.

After spending 16 hours everyday for 1 month, here's my finding:
Comfort: S7 >= Aeron (non-remastered)
Mesh Quality: S7 > Aeron
Price: S7 (comes with headrest) is much cheaper than Aeron
Durability: Aeron wins on this because Aeron has been around for many years and only good things have been said about Aeron. S7 is just released so only time will tell how durable it is.

Other than the above, i feel S7 is really going to be a big hit. So do give serious consideration to the S7 if you're looking for an ergo chair. But can't stress enough of what Vulpix always say, if get the chance must try the chair yourself.

Thanks for the update, I almost bought this but decided to wait to try it, its "euro version" is quite high for a short guy.

LaChouette

Reaction score
Well it was supposed to be simple but u made it complicated because u quoted Xtra is manufactured USA, Assembled PRC. - which may be misleading.

My point has been clear all along theres either made in USA or made in PRC (well I am very sure in China its written as 产地: 中国) the assembly term is used by Xtra as you have mentioned, nothing in HM PRC website uses another word other than manufacturing or production plant.

Now the what you eat point does fit ur purpose, but the point is this, if HM supplies the Asia market ONLY through PRC or India, there's no way an official AD can be getting Aerons from USA.

This is the least you could gather from HM at least. Now the opposite would be true if HM PRC shutdown and they start to supply USA Aerons as a temporary measure. Similar to what USA is doing right now, sending out PRC Aerons.

At the end of the day, all I am saying is the current batch of Aerons are made in PRC. Thats about it. Why is there a need to complicate things unnecessarily?

Isn't it ridiculous to say the USA factory shut down so its not producing Aerons BUT it can supply manufactured Aerons to PRC meanwhile magically, for PRC to assemble???

Xtra is manufactured USA, Assembled PRC. - which may be misleading.
Funny you would say Xtra, a major and official distributor in Singapore that has major corporations such as MOM, Temasek, and many banks as clients, is misleading. But meanwhile, more than comfortable to trust Audiosg on Shopee, who has Aeron chairs and 4 other $10 earphones listing. Not to mention, also with history of false advertising scandals like selling OEM headrests as official Engineered Now ones. But regardless, reasonable minds can differ. It is what it is.

I won't be continuing with you the "Where is it made" argument already. Fact is, we both haven't got a clue. So let's make it a draw on this one, otherwise i would also be happy to take the losing and say im wrong. Let's just move on, like i have gestured previously, as 2 mature adults.

Last edited:

pacificstorm

Reaction score
Funny you would say Xtra, a major and official distributor in Singapore that has major corporations such as MOM, Temasek, and many banks as clients, is misleading. But meanwhile, more than comfortable to trust Audiosg on Shopee, who has Aeron chairs and 4 other $10 earphones listing. Not to mention, also with history of false advertising scandals like selling OEM headrests as official Engineered Now ones. But regardless, reasonable minds can differ. It is what it is.

I won't be continuing with you the "Where is it made" argument already. Fact is, we both haven't got a clue. So let's make it a draw on this one, otherwise i would also be happy to take the losing and say im wrong. Let's just move on, like i have gestured previously, as 2 mature adults.

Apologies. I should have said, Xtra have said its assembled in PRC. While you have tried to make us believe that Xtra is using imported USA parts but assembled in PRC (which isn't said by Xtra afterall) :) there wasn't advocating for Shopee seller at all, I am only advocating for USA made Aerons as my personal belief against PRC made items and it happens shopee WAS the cheapest option, now its UI. Wonder why u only had a thing against shopee but not UI.... nvm.

Interesting enough UI claims those sold locally are sometimes made in China - probably referring to the AD.

Now to resummarize,

Finally, A summary of where to buy Aerons:

If you want or do not mind Assembly in PRC,
1) Taobao as our bro has sourced - ~$1300 (Warranty on ur own)
2) Official AD in SG is Xtra (SAFEST & AUTHENTIC)- ~$2200 (Warranty 12 Years, excluding transport?) - Now is PRC stock, whether can be USA stock ask Xtra and wait if u can.
3) Official AD in PRC Tianmao - ~12000RMB (Warranty on ur own)

If you want Made in USA label,
1) Official HM website in USA - ~$1400USD (Make sure you are not a “selected” customer to receive PRC made) / Warranty you still have to do on your own.
2) Shopee Seller - ~$1690 (Just take it Warranty on ur own, make sure u see a MADE IN USA label) and there is no DG. (U have time to authenticate the Serial No. With HM before confirming to release payment in Shopee)
3) UI Seller - ~$1650 (Just take it Warranty on ur own, they said its imported from USA, make sure its Made in USA too)
4) I have seen it from Taobao too, price unknown.

Last edited:

Napalm

Reaction score
Now s7 only left euro version on chairworker website.. Can't go down to test also.
Yours is euro version? I tot of getting this or Haworth fern.. Hehe.

I was initially attracted to Chairworkers S7 too. Mesh back and seat pan. But as you mentioned, only available on Chairworkers website - it's priced at $798 after coupon code. UI website lists it at $699, making me feel like it's very "bo-hua" to buy from Chairworkers website...

Current Haworth Fern promo (though black only) is $849. About $50 bucks more to get something with a known brand, though no head rest.

Thought of trying out the chairs too but Haworth not open for chair testing at the moment. I'm thinking of just committing and buying soon.

hg2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From one of the reviews of remastered Aeron online they mentioned the material of the mesh is the same as old Aeron only the weave pattern was changed.

HM seat pan is copyrighted, with 8 zones of varying tensions to support the butt. That's lightness is very hard to find on other chair...

Maybe I shld give S7 a try, can you share if the S7 side tilt is distracting ? since it cannot be locked.

sseah12

Reaction score
I was initially attracted to Chairworkers S7 too. Mesh back and seat pan. But as you mentioned, only available on Chairworkers website - it's priced at $798 after coupon code. UI website lists it at $699, making me feel like it's very "bo-hua" to buy from Chairworkers website...

Current Haworth Fern promo (though black only) is $849. About $50 bucks more to get something with a known brand, though no head rest.

Thought of trying out the chairs too but Haworth not open for chair testing at the moment. I'm thinking of just committing and buying soon.
Yea.. for s7, I was wondering UI price is for the normal or euro version since never state..and how he charge tax.etc. at least s7 have adjustable headrest and mesh seat compared to fern..

Hope to be able to try before pulling trigger.. But fern seem need to wait 8 wk...and the other colour seem quite promising.. I have something against black material collecting visible dust...

hg2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

For 50$ more, you get 12yrs warranty and the backrest hugging your spine... is very tempting... just that the seats are cushioned and will be hard to maintain after a few years....in our equator weather. Or if you accidentally spill some drinks or curry on it....the stench will stay there forever....

hg2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mesh quality its easily S7 > Aeron (non-remastered). The mesh on the S7 has a gentle cotton feel to it. I wear shorts and sometimes topless in an air-con room and the mesh is very comfortable on the skin. Whereas Aeron has a slight stiff and plastic feel on the mesh.

That's another plus of the HM mesh, it does not pill over time

AhhHoNG

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The side tilt function is a plus point for S7 over Aeron. Im really loving it. But if you like to lean and rest on one side of the elbow to think, then this might be a little annoying since it will droop onto the side you lean against. For me I don't really have the habit of leaning side when I need to do some thinking. I prefer to lean back and close my eyes to think and I actually fell asleep while doing that. Im the type that never fall asleep at work station so I was really caught by surprise that I did on the S7.
S7 is now $749 after discount on their website.... tempting....

lunarsong

Reaction score
I came across 2 pretty decent (and recent) youtube videos which discussed on the topic and reviewed some ergonomic chairs.

I would say it's pretty informative.

Last edited:

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ahh, I am ordering from my company’s separate promotion. Turns out the biggest bang for buck is Zody (comes w metal base + 4D arm rest + soft castors) compared to the promo brochure shared.

My company promotion doesn’t have Soji + I have tried Zody (in office) and decided to get it over Steelcase Think.

Yeah Steelcase think is not great. I had a few of them previously and dumped them after 3-4 years. The chair is wobbly and very lacking in back support.

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Was thinking to myself about the HM mesh and concluded that since their target audience are large offices so having a mesh that is more plasticky can withstand time and the harsh materials like jeans etc. Which makes total sense. But of course S7 I'm only using it at home so soft fabric makes more sense for the home user.

I think Herman Miller is the only chair using this mesh likely because it’s patented pellicle material. The S7 mesh looks the same as the one on Steelcase think etc chairs. From my experience with this type of mesh, its more of thin fabric than mesh. Because of this it’s less supportive, less airy, and prone to stains as well. But yeah Aeron mesh is not comfortable if you are sitting on it in bare skin.

Vulpix

Reaction score
For 50$ more, you get 12yrs warranty and the backrest hugging your spine... is very tempting... just that the seats are cushioned and will be hard to maintain after a few years....in our equator weather. Or if you accidentally spill some drinks or curry on it....the stench will stay there forever....

I've always made it a point not to eat at my desk, at most plain water only, so I guess my chair was fortunate. :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.