HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Desktop Chair Roundup - Ergonomic Chair

Like Tree309Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-05-2020, 02:43 PM   #1591
Arch-Supremacy Member

I am planning to get a chair but if I can save some money, it will be great.

Any comparison reviews on the following chairs? Is HM Aeron really worth paying 1k more?

Steelcase
HM
Secret lab - I know about the peeling

Any other comparative reviews for us to consider?
Buy used to save money. Buy new if you don't like to meddle with used goods.

Processor
R5 3600, i7 4790, i5 6300U
Mainboard
Gigabyte B550I PRO AX, MSI H81I, Lenovo 20F9
Graphics Card
GTX1070, HD 4600, HD 520
Memory
G.Skill 32GB, Micron 16GB, Samsung 36GB
Display
ThinkVision T32h-20, Dell P2415Q, U2412M x2
Storage
Toshiba THNSNK 256GB, Intel 730 480GB, Crucial MX500 1TB
Casing
Silverstone FTZ01, InWin B1, Thinkpad T460S
PSU
Seasonic SGX 500W, InWin 200W, Delta USB-C 60W
Audio
Swans M50W
OS
Win10 2004, Win10 1909, Win10 1903

Ark Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 09:45 PM   #1592

you are right, xtra is assembled in china, most likely the parts is made in USA.
assemble in china include QC which is quite important for longevity of the chair.

personal opinion, i still prefer made and assembled in USA even without warranty and save $500
The warranty itself I feel is way more than $500. Considering a replacement of pneumatic cylinder for my 2006 Aeron Classic from Xtra (Assembled in Korea) is already $203.30 (Parts) + $214.00 (Labour & Transport) if without warranty. The Aeron Classics were prone to worn out and wobbly cylinders previously, and buyers from authorised distributors were given replacements under warranty, though I'm not too sure for other importers. The remastered ones are only a couple years old, so perhaps common issues haven't been brought up in online forums. If any batch wide issues are brought up in the future, I honestly don't think any shopee of lazada sellers are gonna go out and do replacements for every chair they sold. If I were them, I'd simply wind up the shopee/lazada shop and open a new one under a new name to save the hassle. I'd like to see it as the difference between buying PI cars and from local agents, where defects/recalls are always hassle free from agents, but usually discretionary under PI.

Last edited by LaChouette; 29-05-2020 at 09:52 PM..
LaChouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 10:03 PM   #1593

The warranty itself I feel is way more than $500. Considering a replacement of pneumatic cylinder for my 2006 Aeron Classic from Xtra (Assembled in Korea) is already $203.30 (Parts) + $214.00 (Labour & Transport) if without warranty. The Aeron Classics were prone to worn out and wobbly cylinders previously, and buyers from authorised distributors were given replacements under warranty, though I'm not too sure for other importers. The remastered ones are only a couple years old, so perhaps common issues haven't been brought up in online forums. If any batch wide issues are brought up in the future, I honestly don't think any shopee of lazada sellers are gonna go out and do replacements for every chair they sold. If I were them, I'd simply wind up the shopee/lazada shop and open a new one under a new name to save the hassle. I'd like to see it as the difference between buying PI cars and from local agents, where defects/recalls are always hassle free from agents, but usually discretionary under PI.
I think its back to the same point, for AD vs PI to stand, it has to be made from the same place. A BMW 5 series is made in Germany PI or AD.

It doesn't seem the case for Aeron AD (Xtra), just do a google on Herman Miller china production plant. "
Herman Millerís one-stop hub of manufacturing operations in Dongguan, China" - reading the article seems to show everything is made in PRC.

Well it just doesn't feel shiok when you know you pay for something at a luxury price for something made in PRC...?
Processor
Intel i7 920
Memory
12GB
Storage
1.5TB
OS
Windows 7 Ultimate

pacificstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 10:11 PM   #1594

I think its back to the same point, for AD vs PI to stand, it has to be made from the same place. A BMW 5 series is made in Germany PI or AD.

It doesn't seem the case for Aeron AD (Xtra), just do a google on Herman Miller china production plant. "
Herman Millerís one-stop hub of manufacturing operations in Dongguan, China" - reading the article seems to show everything is made in PRC.

Well it just doesn't feel shiok when you know you pay for something at a luxury price for something made in PRC...?

There is no right or wrong, buy whichever suits you best. However, I will buy the cheapest one....hahaha
acer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 10:18 PM   #1595

BMW yes, but FYI Mercedes from Cycle & Carriage are made in South Africa, and PI ones are made in Germany, so I would say it's a similar comparison for the Aerons.

Yea reading the article definitely seems like chairs are coming out fully from the Dongguan factory, whether Singapore ones are those from the article, that I'm not too sure. Because on Xtra's website they specifically said "please be kindly informed that a batch of Aeron Chairs are assembled in Dongguan, China." and "manufactured chairs from US will be assembled in Dongguan, China."

Though I would agree having the chairs made in USA certainly sounds more "quality", but maybe more so back in the days. In recent years I feel China have stepped up its game tremendously especially in the manufacturing and assembly field. Today I think they are definitely on par with or maybe even surpassed other countries, some might say.

Those being said, it's all down to personal preference at the end of the day, just giving my two cents.
LaChouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 10:23 PM   #1596

xtra still charge labour and transport as well. only 1st yr warranty they cover it.
my uncle classic aeron has been using for 15yrs and only i help him replace gas cylinder that cost $120 including shipping (pls buy only high quality gas cylinder for replacement)
even if PI doesn't come with warranty i will still buy, replacement parts for aeron is easily available and HM app even guide you how to DIY replace almost everything
Attila is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 10:56 AM   #1597
Master Member

Your last paragraph is not accurate. Many apple iphone owners are proud of their china made phone.
Outramkia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #1598

Your last paragraph is not accurate. Many apple iphone owners are proud of their china made phone.
This is because all iphone are made in China, if got other places, then people will choose liao.
Old 30-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #1599

Did you add on the head rest ? I also exited to go test out next week for this chair. Sit on my lousy chair until here pain there pain.
hi there, just dropped them an email to test out the fern chair. Not sure if they are available for appointment next week.

found this ru youtube review might be useful for interested.

Spoiler!
jfreex98 likes this.
dEv_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #1600
Master Member

I believe he mentioned he is working in London now, staying there permanently or not, i dunnoe coz he nvr say.

If you been following UI from start when he organised his Nespresso mass order, he was never permanently located in SG but he subcontract to some companies to do the leg work. I replaced my HM casters within 3 days a few years ago, also repaired my Nespresso espresso machines trice.

He definitely outlast many HM sellers.
Example: https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/m...s-4042326.html

Last year Lazada there were at least 3 sellers iirc, two are now MIA.

Anyway WFH ending, so many people still looking for chairs ah?
Why not transfer from office better?
hardwaregone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 12:02 PM   #1601

If you been following UI from start when he organised his Nespresso mass order, he was never permanently located in SG but he subcontract to some companies to do the leg work. I replaced my HM casters within 3 days a few years ago, also repaired my Nespresso espresso machines trice.

He definitely outlast many HM sellers.
Example: https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/m...s-4042326.html

Last year Lazada there were at least 3 sellers iirc, two are now MIA.

Anyway WFH ending, so many people still looking for chairs ah?
Why not transfer from office better?
my office has been using aeron and embody.
i will continue wfh for the next 3mths, and order a aeron to replace my damaged ergohuman
Old 30-05-2020, 12:04 PM   #1602

hi there, just dropped them an email to test out the fern chair. Not sure if they are available for appointment next week.

found this ru youtube review might be useful for interested.

Spoiler!
They also have the Soji over there which is like the budget version of the Zody, go try it out also.
Mainboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5
Graphics Card
GeForce GTX 1080 Founder Edition 8GB
Memory
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Display
Acer XB271HU
Storage
Samsung SM950 m.2, Sandisk 240gb, 2x 3TB WD Greens
Casing
Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MicroATX Mini Tower Case
PSU
Corsair AX760i
OS
Windows 10 Professional

Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 12:52 PM   #1603

i will continue wfh for the next 3mths, and order a aeron to replace my damaged ergohuman
Lucky i get the chair early too...
Old 30-05-2020, 03:01 PM   #1604

care to explain why you prefer the aeron more to embody ? i'm actually thinking of getting aeron too but i like how the embody's modern design look
Processor
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0ghz 1.35v
Mainboard
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
Graphics Card
Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 3GB
Memory
G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 16GB (8GBx2)
Display
BenQ XL2430T @ 144Hz | Dell U2312HM @ 60hz
Storage
Crucial M4 128GB; WD Black 1TB; WD Green 1.5TB; WD Essential 2TB
Casing
NZXT Phantom 410
PSU
FSP Aurum 80 PLUS Gold 750w Modular
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598 + Creative Gigaworks T3
OS
Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit

Studded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 03:40 PM   #1605

care to explain why you prefer the aeron more to embody ? i'm actually thinking of getting aeron too but i like how the embody's modern design look
i have a cat at home and she will massacre embody fabric
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.