www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Hardware Clinic (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/hardware-clinic-2/)
-   -   Desktop Chair Roundup - Ergonomic Chair (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/hardware-clinic-2/desktop-chair-roundup-ergonomic-chair-5145875.html)

Rock_Lobster 08-06-2020 07:15 AM

May I know if there is a point of diminishing returns for chairs?

For example, im using the cheapo $30 plastic IKEA "office" chair. Going from that to an IKEA Markus will be a huge upgrade in terms of comfort and ergonomics. what about going from that to a Herman miller or similarly priced chair? (1.5k+++)

Is there anything in between those you'd recommend? Or would you say either spend a bit on IKEA Markus / järvfjället or go all in on a 1.5k+++ chair and dont spend "half ****" amount?

Thanks!

LaChouette 08-06-2020 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock_Lobster (Post 127625118)
May I know if there is a point of diminishing returns for chairs?

For example, im using the cheapo $30 plastic IKEA "office" chair. Going from that to an IKEA Markus will be a huge upgrade in terms of comfort and ergonomics. what about going from that to a Herman miller or similarly priced chair? (1.5k+++)

Is there anything in between those you'd recommend? Or would you say either spend a bit on IKEA Markus / järvfjället or go all in on a 1.5k+++ chair and dont spend "half ****" amount?

Thanks!

Ive suggested the Ikea Hattefjall before and personally think it’s great value, especially with Ikea’s 10 yr warranty. Personally I feel it’s a great choice for a decent budget. As for Markus and Jarvfjallet, i would suggest going for the Markus if you can live with the lack of adjustments. I feel the Jarvfjallet’s headrest is at a quite awkward position no matter how you adjust it, and strains the neck a little.

Going up from there, would be a Haworth Fern since it’s on promo at the moment. However end of the day comfort is subjective to the user, and also dependent on height, weight etc. So best would be to try as many as possible to compare which is most suitable for you. :)

Rock_Lobster 08-06-2020 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaChouette (Post 127625280)
Ive suggested the Ikea Hattefjall before and personally think it’s great value, especially with Ikea’s 10 yr warranty. Personally I feel it’s a great choice for a decent budget. As for Markus and Jarvfjallet, i would suggest going for the Markus if you can live with the lack of adjustments. I feel the Jarvfjallet’s headrest is at a quite awkward position no matter how you adjust it, and strains the neck a little.

Going up from there, would be a Haworth Fern since it’s on promo at the moment. However end of the day comfort is subjective to the user, and also dependent on height, weight etc. So best would be to try as many as possible to compare which is most suitable for you. :)

Thank you, yea I'm trying to weigh my options now. Not sure if I should get the Markus / Hattefjall or spend more :s13:

Where got Haworth Fern on promo now?

EDIT: Actually i see the USD price still very ex, i thought was another budget chair :o

LaChouette 08-06-2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock_Lobster (Post 127625343)
Thank you, yea I'm trying to weigh my options now. Not sure if I should get the Markus / Hattefjall or spend more :s13:

Where got Haworth Fern on promo now?

The promo is through a mailing list brochure that one of our friends here shared quite many pages ago. You will have to email their staff to get the promo pricing at $743 before gst, however there wont be any customisations for it. It comes in full black frame and upholstery by default.

Rock_Lobster 08-06-2020 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaChouette (Post 127625387)
The promo is through a mailing list brochure that one of our friends here shared quite many pages ago. You will have to email their staff to get the promo pricing at $743 before gst, however there wont be any customisations for it. It comes in full black frame and upholstery by default.

Actually, how do you go about testing these kinda ergonomic chairs? Esp if it's your first time sitting on one, since I dont know what to look out for (lumbar support, neck support etc)

How long would you suggest sitting on one? As they are quite uncomfortable as they force you to sit in a "proper" position.

illumnae 08-06-2020 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fzhfzh (Post 127624086)
Go try it for yourself. Some people might think Haworth fern or hm embody kind of soft back design is more comfortable, but I think the majority would still prefer Aeron or Steelcase leap v2 style of lumbar support. Which is why majority of chair review websites still pick Aeron and leap v2 as the top 2 most comfortable chairs. My chair in office is Herman Miller embody which is similar style as Fern, but I still buy Aeron for home as it’s more comfortable for me.

Thank you very much. I was thinking my query got lost in the fighting going on about the shady Shoppee seller :o

So am I right to say that the Leap v2 is similar in design to the Aereon with what some people feel is a more outdated design, while the Fern (and the Gesture?) has a more updated design like the Embody? For me ultimate importance is back care capabilities of the chair due to my lower back issues. Also forgot to mention that I am also very prone to frozen shoulder - need to go for regular massage to loosen the shoulder muscles for the past 10 years liao. So hopefully spend on a good chair finally will help alleviate these problems.

I'm also more inclined to buy from AD for any chair I get as I have a more old school mindset and prefer to deal face to face rather than online. Personal preference.

Currently not able to try due to "extended CB" aka Phase 1 so I'm weighing my options beforehand.

P.S. Separate query, are there any recommendations for an ergonomic lounging recliner for relaxing and reading papers or tablet? I'm looking for one to place in front of my fish tank to relax after work. Only recommendation I have from a friend so far us Stressless, but this one is double the price of an Xtra Aereon :s22:

hulkmagic 08-06-2020 09:36 AM

Anyone have experience with the Genidia chair?

http://www.comfortworkspace.com/chai...=10#ae-image-0

Vulpix 08-06-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illumnae (Post 127626410)
Thank you very much. I was thinking my query got lost in the fighting going on about the shady Shoppee seller :o

So am I right to say that the Leap v2 is similar in design to the Aereon with what some people feel is a more outdated design, while the Fern (and the Gesture?) has a more updated design like the Embody? For me ultimate importance is back care capabilities of the chair due to my lower back issues. Also forgot to mention that I am also very prone to frozen shoulder - need to go for regular massage to loosen the shoulder muscles for the past 10 years liao. So hopefully spend on a good chair finally will help alleviate these problems.

I'm also more inclined to buy from AD for any chair I get as I have a more old school mindset and prefer to deal face to face rather than online. Personal preference.

Currently not able to try due to "extended CB" aka Phase 1 so I'm weighing my options beforehand.

P.S. Separate query, are there any recommendations for an ergonomic lounging recliner for relaxing and reading papers or tablet? I'm looking for one to place in front of my fish tank to relax after work. Only recommendation I have from a friend so far us Stressless, but this one is double the price of an Xtra Aereon :s22:

This is just my personal opinion on this topic, but I want to make a correction on the Gesture. The Gestures feels more like the Aeron style of support rather than the Embody when I tried it out, and it feels quite warm to sit as well even in the aircon office. Funny enough the Leap v2 feels less warm, for the lack of a better description.

If you don't mind sharing, which part of your lower spine got problems? Might be the same as me which was why I didn't find the Aeron remastered as comfortable, that's why I emphasize the importance of testing a chair.

If you have shoulder problems, it might be more of a table height issue no? Have you tried to mess around by raising your keyboard height and lowering it to see if it helps?

Vulpix 08-06-2020 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock_Lobster (Post 127625520)
Actually, how do you go about testing these kinda ergonomic chairs? Esp if it's your first time sitting on one, since I dont know what to look out for (lumbar support, neck support etc)

How long would you suggest sitting on one? As they are quite uncomfortable as they force you to sit in a "proper" position.

My suggestion is to memorize how you sit at a desk after an hour, remember that position and try to simulate it. There's no point in pretending to sit in a way that you usually don't sit when working at a desk, so don't be shy and sit the way you usually sit at home.

Don't be shy in adjusting the sample chair to your needs, sit down and request to be at a table so you can try out your posture. You'll easily know which chair fits you.

illumnae 08-06-2020 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulpix (Post 127626700)
This is just my personal opinion on this topic, but I want to make a correction on the Gesture. The Gestures feels more like the Aeron style of support rather than the Embody when I tried it out, and it feels quite warm to sit as well even in the aircon office. Funny enough the Leap v2 feels less warm, for the lack of a better description.

If you don't mind sharing, which part of your lower spine got problems? Might be the same as me which was why I didn't find the Aeron remastered as comfortable, that's why I emphasize the importance of testing a chair.

If you have shoulder problems, it might be more of a table height issue no? Have you tried to mess around by raising your keyboard height and lowering it to see if it helps?

Thanks! So the Leap v2 and Gesture are similar in design with the difference being material and how warm it gets?

My lower back has 2 slipped discs at L4/L5 and L5/S1 and currently after sitting even a short while, my lower back hurts when I get up - feels compressed and I need to stretch it awhile to let the pain subside.

Height wise I have been adjusting over the years but doesn't help. I think it's a posture issue that's why hoping a good chair can help.

Vulpix 08-06-2020 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illumnae (Post 127626829)
Thanks! So the Leap v2 and Gesture are similar in design with the difference being material and how warm it gets?

My lower back has 2 slipped discs at L4/L5 and L5/S1 and currently after sitting even a short while, my lower back hurts when I get up - feels compressed and I need to stretch it awhile to let the pain subside.

Height wise I have been adjusting over the years but doesn't help. I think it's a posture issue that's why hoping a good chair can help.

The Gesture feels very similar with extra adjustments which I felt wasn't really worth the extra $. :s13: Feels much more premium also but I didn't really like how warm it was, think was quoted around 1.7k?

Ah ok, then you really must test the chairs before making your final decision, your that L5/S1 going to make choosing a chair fairly difficult. :s22:

Ark Law 08-06-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illumnae (Post 127626829)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulpix (Post 127626984)
The Gesture feels very similar with extra adjustments which I felt wasn't really worth the extra $. :s13: Feels much more premium also but I didn't really like how warm it was, think was quoted around 1.7k?

Ah ok, then you really must test the chairs before making your final decision, your that L5/S1 going to make choosing a chair fairly difficult. :s22:

You can watch these videos to get a detailed idea of the differences between Steelcase's flagship chairs before you test them in person.

The $1.7k is accurate, at least when we look at Steelcase online where the fabric Gesture with headrest is $1780. The Leap decked out is $1545.

Vulpix 08-06-2020 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ark Law (Post 127627377)
You can watch these videos to get a detailed idea of the differences between Steelcase's flagship chairs before you test them in person.

The $1.7k is accurate, at least when we look at Steelcase online where the fabric Gesture with headrest is $1780. The Leap decked out is $1545.

The quote I got a few months ago for decked out Leap is 1416.68 but I guess prices are going up not down...

Attila 08-06-2020 10:26 AM

just got an reply for HM regarding my aeron purchased from shopee

the chair is purchased in usa and warranty work can go thru HM usa directly or get a quote from authorised local dealer if audiosg didn't honor warranty claim or close down

the chair is made in USA but didn't answer my question if is assembled in usa or china.

my serial number sticker didn't have any DG and manufactured date is jan 2020 for reference

fzhfzh 08-06-2020 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illumnae (Post 127626410)

Yes Leap v2 has similar back support design as aeron. Embody and fern lumbar support is not adjustable, for me the support is a bit lower than I want, and I can't adjust it. Quality wise, the soft fabric of the embody on the back also don't feel very premium, with most of the chair in plastic, definite doesn't feel like a 2k+ chair. Whereas quality of the aeron once you feel it you will definitely feel it's worth the 1k+.

For lounge chair, I would recommend:
https://store.hermanmiller.com/livin...oman/5667.html
Yes it's not cheap, but it's super comfortable, it's an work of art, and becomes a center piece in your house. I heard it appreciates in value as well.