HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Dual Channel ram issue. Ryzen with Corsair kit.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By michael_thm
  • 1 Post By michael_thm

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-05-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
Arch-Supremacy Member

Dual Channel ram issue. Ryzen with Corsair kit.

Hi I have some problem with my DDR4 ram kit. I recently bought 2x16GB of Corsair DDR4-3000 ram and installed it on a Asrock AB350M Pro4 motherboard with Ryzen 2200G. For more than a month, it worked fine albeit some BSOD once in a while indicating it is not stable and I assumed that it was a Ryzen bios problem as overnight ram tests on Prime95 and AIDA64 went okay.

However my system started shutting down and refusing to post. Tired of waiting for a bios update, I purchased another motherboard, a MSI B350 Gaming Pro. It boot up with the corsair kit initially but it shutdown later and refused to post. Therefore I looked further into the issue by using only 1 piece of ram. The result was that it was perfectly stable.

So the question is the ram is not AMD certified but motherboard manufacturer has it listed as compatible. It only fail to work in dual channel but it did work for more than a month albeit unstable when gaming. And when a single stick is used, it is absolutely stable. And I understand that dual channel controller is on the CPU with the motherboard handling only the timings etc. But the problem exists on both motherboards and 2 PSUs. However I only have one Ryzen CPU and one DDR4 ram kit. So I am unsure as to which item is causing the problem...

Is it the ram or the CPU? I mean the ram when using one stick is perfectly stable and the dual channel controller is on the CPU??? Any suggestion?
Leftie likes this.
Processor
Ryzen 2200G
Mainboard
Asrock AB350M PRO4
Memory
Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4-3000mhz 32GB
Display
Acer 31.5" QHD monitor
Storage
Samsung EVO 500GB + 20TB storage
Optical Storage
LG GSA-H44L
Casing
CoolerMaster Master Pro 3
PSU
FSP ECO 80+ 350W
Audio
SoundBlaster Roar
OS
Windows 10

michael_thm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 06:57 PM   #2
High Supremacy Member

Clear CMOS.

Run stock and monitor the situation.

If it fails the same issue then high likely ram issues.
Next project Icarus #2.
Processor
AMD Threadripper 1900X
Mainboard
Asus X399 Zenith Extreme
Graphics Card
Nvidia GeForce GTX1080ti Founders Edition
Memory
Gskill Sniper X 3600mhz CL19 4x8gb
Display
Acer Z35P Predator
Storage
Samsung 950 Pro 512gb + Samsung Evo 960 1tb
Optical Storage
Can eat or not?
Casing
Inwin 909 Black
PSU
Seasonic Prime 850w 80+ Gold
Audio
Bose Soundtouch 300 + Bose Acoustimass 300 + Bose Invisible 300
OS
Windows 10 Pro

royfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

Did you install in the correct slots? Last time I made the error of installing both my rams on Channel A and they system will not boot if I set the memory on XMP profile. Appears that I needed to install on Channel A and B to make it work.
Processor
Ryzen 5 1600X
Mainboard
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3
Graphics Card
MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
Memory
Corsair Vengence LPX Red 16GB DDR4 3000
Display
Dell U2515H
Storage
Samsung 850 Pro & Evo 512GB/ Crucual MX500 500GB/ WD Black 750GB
Optical Storage
LG Bluray Drive
Casing
Fractal Design ARC Mini R2
PSU
Seasonic G550
Audio
Realtek ALC887
OS
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 07:03 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Did you install in the correct slots? Last time I made the error of installing both my rams on Channel A and they system will not boot if I set the memory on XMP profile. Appears that I needed to install on Channel A and B to make it work.
To add on, do note mine is a Gigabyte board. So it may differ for other brands.
Processor
Ryzen 5 1600X
Mainboard
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3
Graphics Card
MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
Memory
Display
Dell U2515H
Storage
Optical Storage
LG Bluray Drive
Casing
PSU
Seasonic G550
Audio
Realtek ALC887
OS
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Old 14-05-2018, 07:45 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

Clear CMOS.

Run stock and monitor the situation.

If it fails the same issue then high likely ram issues.
Yes, I install in the correct slots as per the Asrock manual. And there is only 2 slots for the MSI motherboard.

As for stock... single ram stick ran perfectly at stock and @2933. Initially 2 sticks also worked but then it refused to even post the bios screen at default bios settings. To add on, the ram model is not certified to run on Ryzen according to Corsair but verified as compatible on motherboard compatibility thread. The problem is I need to be certain that the ram is either faulty or not.

If it is faulty, then I will rma it. If is not and is simply not working on Ryzen (but it did worked albeit erratically for a month.), then I would sell it off and buy Ryzen certified ram then... Would appreciate if anyone can suggest a way to verify the case.

Plus it could be the Ryzen 2200G as dual channel mode is controlled by the CPU.

Thanks for suggestions as the difference between single and dual channel is a 20% performance hit.

Selling the ram won't be heart pain as I got it at $330+ thanks to amazon pricing error.
Leftie likes this.
Processor
Ryzen 2200G
Mainboard
Asrock AB350M PRO4
Memory
Display
Acer 31.5" QHD monitor
Storage
Optical Storage
LG GSA-H44L
Casing
PSU
FSP ECO 80+ 350W
Audio
SoundBlaster Roar
OS
Windows 10

Old 14-05-2018, 08:35 PM   #6
Supremacy Member

you can rma it. if same issue then sell away
Graphics Card
Nvidia Riva TNT2 16mb
Memory
128MB DDR
Display
Conrac 9 inch Model 2640 monochrome CRT
Storage
Floppy Disk
Optical Storage
Mitsumi CD-ROM CRMC-FX322M 32X IDE drive
Casing
Cardboard Box
PSU
200w iCute
Audio
Sound Blaster Live! (CT4830)
OS
Windows Millenium Edition

yusoffb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 09:08 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

If each ram is working stably by itself, then I don't think it is an issue with the ram. I am also using Corsair ram for my Ryzen rig, but I feel it can be quite finicky with the ram used.
Processor
Ryzen 5 1600X
Mainboard
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3
Graphics Card
MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
Memory
Display
Dell U2515H
Storage
Optical Storage
LG Bluray Drive
Casing
PSU
Seasonic G550
Audio
Realtek ALC887
OS
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Old 14-05-2018, 09:19 PM   #8

Hi I have some problem with my DDR4 ram kit. I recently bought 2x16GB of Corsair DDR4-3000 ram and installed it on a Asrock AB350M Pro4 motherboard with Ryzen 2200G. For more than a month, it worked fine albeit some BSOD once in a while indicating it is not stable and I assumed that it was a Ryzen bios problem as overnight ram tests on Prime95 and AIDA64 went okay.

However my system started shutting down and refusing to post. Tired of waiting for a bios update, I purchased another motherboard, a MSI B350 Gaming Pro. It boot up with the corsair kit initially but it shutdown later and refused to post. Therefore I looked further into the issue by using only 1 piece of ram. The result was that it was perfectly stable.

So the question is the ram is not AMD certified but motherboard manufacturer has it listed as compatible. It only fail to work in dual channel but it did work for more than a month albeit unstable when gaming. And when a single stick is used, it is absolutely stable. And I understand that dual channel controller is on the CPU with the motherboard handling only the timings etc. But the problem exists on both motherboards and 2 PSUs. However I only have one Ryzen CPU and one DDR4 ram kit. So I am unsure as to which item is causing the problem...

Is it the ram or the CPU? I mean the ram when using one stick is perfectly stable and the dual channel controller is on the CPU??? Any suggestion?
I also had similar experiences

This happened 3x already
When using ram of the same brand on ryzen 2200G, both sticks will fail to work, yet it works with a single stick. $#%$#$%

Transferring said rams to a different PC indicated same problem
Initially thought it was a Ryzen related issues but in the end, with some troubleshooting with the Ryzen disty and testing entire batch of rams i had, i concluded it to be a localised issue. Ram faulty, single stick

To check
Boot single channel, Run your fav testing utility. If perfect, swap to other stick and repeat
If both perfect yet both not working in DC mode, you have to test it on an intel rig to determine if Ram DC is faulty ( this one is friggin tricky to prove ) so yeat. i maintain at least 1x intel and 1x AMD rig for this purpose.. zzzz

You are lao jiao

So if you are in the east, PM me and i'll be happy to help with troubleshooting. Takes about 1-3h. Just need to bring yourown thermal paste.

Have spare Crucial 4/8/16 and Ballistix 4/8
Also have the said MSI B350i AB320M and X470, as well as the Intel Z370, H370, B360, H310...etc

Last edited by tmfwy; 14-05-2018 at 10:03 PM..
Processor
Intel Core i7-8700K
Mainboard
Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Graphics Card
Nvidia GTX 1070 TI 8gb
Memory
16GB KLEVV CRAS2 DDR4-3000 Ram
Display
LG25UJM58-P
Storage
1x256gb SSD + 1x525gb SSD
Optical Storage
Blu-Ray COmbo ODD
Casing
Silverstone FTZ01
PSU
450W PSU
Audio
Built-In
OS
Microsoft Windows 10

tmfwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 03:50 AM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

Corsair support has asked me to rma the memory.

Thanks for the kind offer to help.

I also had similar experiences

This happened 3x already
When using ram of the same brand on ryzen 2200G, both sticks will fail to work, yet it works with a single stick. $#%$#$%

Transferring said rams to a different PC indicated same problem
Initially thought it was a Ryzen related issues but in the end, with some troubleshooting with the Ryzen disty and testing entire batch of rams i had, i concluded it to be a localised issue. Ram faulty, single stick

To check
Boot single channel, Run your fav testing utility. If perfect, swap to other stick and repeat
If both perfect yet both not working in DC mode, you have to test it on an intel rig to determine if Ram DC is faulty ( this one is friggin tricky to prove ) so yeat. i maintain at least 1x intel and 1x AMD rig for this purpose.. zzzz

You are lao jiao

So if you are in the east, PM me and i'll be happy to help with troubleshooting. Takes about 1-3h. Just need to bring yourown thermal paste.

Have spare Crucial 4/8/16 and Ballistix 4/8
Also have the said MSI B350i AB320M and X470, as well as the Intel Z370, H370, B360, H310...etc
Processor
Ryzen 2200G
Mainboard
Asrock AB350M PRO4
Memory
Display
Acer 31.5" QHD monitor
Storage
Optical Storage
LG GSA-H44L
Casing
PSU
FSP ECO 80+ 350W
Audio
SoundBlaster Roar
OS
Windows 10

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.