EKWB compatibility query

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently using Asus Rampage 5 Extreme mobo. However, recently my A ram channel died, not sure how. I no longer run in Quad channel. Looking to get a replacement. I am running custom cooling on CPU and VRMS. I was wondering if the WB on my Asus Rampage 5 extreme is compatible with Asus Rampage 5 Edition 10.

Seeking all advise before i make the purchase.

Thanks!

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unless you can get the replacement MB cheap, it might make more sense to sell the CPU and upgrade to Ryzen or Threadripper instead.

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
i did considering going to ryzen, however my cpu block becomes useless and also ryzen has known issues of virtualisation which i use frequently. and also, im downgrading from quad channel to dual channel, unless i go to threadripper.

and lastly to reformat my pc.. a whole nightmare.. :<

Last edited:

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
and lastly to reformat my pc.. a whole nightmare.. :<

depends.

I just switched from i5-4690K to 3700X. Plugged in the existing OS SSD and surprisingly, everything works. Did not need to reformat or reinstall Windows. YMMV

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
depends.

I just switched from i5-4690K to 3700X. Plugged in the existing OS SSD and surprisingly, everything works. Did not need to reformat or reinstall Windows. YMMV

the idea of just plug and play from another system, is not feasible.. there might be some hidden issues lying around. usually the best idea is to have fresh installation. right?

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the idea of just plug and play from another system, is not feasible.. there might be some hidden issues lying around. usually the best idea is to have fresh installation. right?

Yes, fresh installation is of course better if you have the time to do so. I've spent too much time tweaking Win 10 to want to do the whole process again (if I can even remember all I have done).

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
Yes, fresh installation is of course better if you have the time to do so. I've spent too much time tweaking Win 10 to want to do the whole process again (if I can even remember all I have done).

true.. anw thanks for sharing your experience~

Rashkae

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Disagree. It's very easy and straightforward. There's a small chance you might have some legacy app that impacts performance by 1-2% but not really seen any such issues.

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
wowww first time i hear ram spoilt got to replace whole water block

Hahaha

i meant Ram channel A is faulty. not ram faulty. and its not replacing waterblock btw. whether is it compatible with another similar make of mainboard.

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
sorry to bring this up.. if I were to bring my OS over from Rampage 5 extreme to Crosshair Hero VIII wifi, do I need fresh installation or I can reuse existing? the current is configured in UEFI and secure boot mode, would it allow me to move to another platform?

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
depends.

no issues to-date since the switch in October. I've also updated to 1903 and everything still worked fine. YMMV.

P.S. I'm using legacy BIOS not UEFI so your situation may be different

Last edited:

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
no issues to-date since the switch in October. I've also updated to 1903 and everything still worked fine. YMMV.

P.S. I'm using legacy BIOS not UEFI so your situation may be different

that may probably explain it.. I shall try with legacy bios rather than uefi. thanks!

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
that may probably explain it.. I shall try with legacy bios rather than uefi. thanks!

I don't think that will work. Switching from UEFI to legacy BIOS will require repartitioning the SSD and reinstalling Windows.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.