HGST vs Toshiba vs WD external hdd

idrinkecoke

Master Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a canvio or wd passport. Which is more recommended?

This type of HDD is not suitable for playing videos or working on files directly from the HDD?

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So far my experience with the 3 brands you mentioned for desktop to laptop hard drive is good. I will only recommend steering away from Seagate based on my own experience.

Having said that, between the 3, just get whichever is cheaper assuming they are all USB 3.0. All hardware will fail over time, it is just a matter of when. Also, I don't see why you can't play videos or working on it directly on these hard drives.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

This type of HDD is not suitable for playing videos or working on files directly from the HDD?

Well I do own Seagate and WD ext hdd, both running fine just that have a few bad records on the drive, but none of them are affecting the drive capabilities. But still it irks me at some point :(

Maybe u can consider Toshiba ext hdd. ;)

Anyway all new hdd can play videos and can work with offices data on it.

idrinkecoke

Master Member
Reaction score
So far my experience with the 3 brands you mentioned for desktop to laptop hard drive is good. I will only recommend steering away from Seagate based on my own experience.

Having said that, between the 3, just get whichever is cheaper assuming they are all USB 3.0. All hardware will fail over time, it is just a matter of when. Also, I don't see why you can't play videos or working on it directly on these hard drives.

thanks. Coz external HDD do not have any ventilation, if we keep accessing the drive it gets heated and spoil easily. That's my concern.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks. Coz external HDD do not have any ventilation, if we keep accessing the drive it gets heated and spoil easily. That's my concern.

I think many did not try Sony portable HD. Their range usually have aluminum casing which acts as heatsink.
Prolong use, it won't overheat that as bad as those with plastic case.
Sony portable HDD are kind of rare, can be hard to find due to low popularity.
BTW their range are compatible and designed for use with game consoles.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Since you are getting a external HDD I suggest you get a bare HDD and a SATA to usb connector seperately. This way unlike a portable HDD if the sata bridge fails you won't lose access to your data

-Synchronicity-

Reaction score
Since you are getting a external HDD I suggest you get a bare HDD and a SATA to usb connector seperately. This way unlike a portable HDD if the sata bridge fails you won't lose access to your data

This solution can be more pricy then an external HDD. For comparison, my Seagate external 3.5" costs around 300. The regular SATA 8tb costs 400+.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Kind of. Even if the internal and external HDD are from the same generation or containing the same drive, on the external drive Windows will disable performance features by default. Basically you'll just feel slightly slower performance so whether you think that impacts too much is up to you. You can always benchmark your HDD's video-writing speed with your video program.

kXwlz5S.png

While internal HDD is sharing the heat with all the stuff in the computer.
If you're scared just stick with 2.5", they use less than 2W when reading/writing and less than a watt idling.

This solution can be more pricy then an external HDD. For comparison, my Seagate external 3.5" costs around 300. The regular SATA 8tb costs 400+.

Yup. I got my WD 4TB 2.5" for USD$80 last Black Friday.

Furthermore, SATA connectors are not a secure connector compared to USB. Move a bit and you lose connection, stress a bit and it breaks off. (See how many dead ones on your mobos as proof.) And finally, if you want to use it as external or let it run the risk of disconnections by using it externally, see first part of this post.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Furthermore, SATA connectors are not a secure connector compared to USB. Move a bit and you lose connection, stress a bit and it breaks off. (See how many dead ones on your mobos as proof.) And finally, if you want to use it as external or let it run the risk of disconnections by using it externally, see first part of this post.

All portable HDDs use an internal SATA to usb adapter be it soldered on or user removable. Getting both seperately reduce a single point of failure

http://s.aliexpress.com/UFvmMB3u?fromSns

Kusanagi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this one is hardware lottery and some 8 character

i have a friend who swears by WD, but all my WD died in 1-1.5 years

i swear by HGST, had a 1TB serving me for 7 years before i decomm'ed it

ikkozilla

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this one is hardware lottery and some 8 character

i have a friend who swears by WD, but all my WD died in 1-1.5 years

i swear by HGST, had a 1TB serving me for 7 years before i decomm'ed it
My 1tb from 2011 liao.. still going strong. Shd i decomm?

Sent from 10kkj using GAGT

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Its not a problem. Most portable drives uses slower drives, i.e. 5400RPM drives that don't heat up much. Also actives such as playing movies will not stress it fully.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A tip from me, regardless of brand.
I know many just plug out the HDD when the PC is on.
Do anyone know that HDD is still spinning?
Just feel the vibration you can know it is still spinning.

If you want to prolong your portable HDD, shutdown
your PC so the power is cut and the external disk
does not spin so you can take out safely.

So far I have been doing this, my oldest Seagate HDD
6 years still haven't die.

omelet

Reaction score
I think many did not try Sony portable HD. Their range usually have aluminum casing which acts as heatsink.
Prolong use, it won't overheat that as bad as those with plastic case.
Sony portable HDD are kind of rare, can be hard to find due to low popularity.
BTW their range are compatible and designed for use with game consoles.

I have one of those slim Sony external HDD, crystaldiskinfo report that it uses HGST..:)

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have one of those slim Sony external HDD, crystaldiskinfo report that it uses HGST..:)

Sony portal HDD are using quite good HDD, Samsung, HGST.
Even their PS3/PS4 inside are also using HGST.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In the past, Challenger stores use to carry Sony 2.5" external HDD. Now don't see them.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.