HWZ AMD Ryzen R5 Owners Klub

muddle

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Has amd improved ryzen’s 1080p performance since its launch?

I remember it was unusually trailing behind intel in 1080p gaming

-Synchronicity-

Reaction score
For gaming, if you do not want to oc, can consider intel i5 8400. Cost-wise similar to local r5 1600 bundles even after taking into account of z370 pricing.

Otherwise, can go for r5 1600. Would not recommend boards from amazon as i personally think that chances for boards to have issues are significantly higher when compared to cpus.

For atx board, you can take a look at asus b350 prime plus/ msi b350 tomahawk

For matx, asrock ab350 pro 4/ msi b350 mortar

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For gaming, if you do not want to oc, can consider intel i5 8400. Cost-wise similar to local r5 1600 bundles even after taking into account of z370 pricing.

Otherwise, can go for r5 1600. Would not recommend boards from amazon as i personally think that chances for boards to have issues are significantly higher when compared to cpus.

For atx board, you can take a look at asus b350 prime plus/ msi b350 tomahawk

For matx, asrock ab350 pro 4/ msi b350 mortar

Locally, I feel the MSI B350M Mortar is a better buy. Anyway, buying aboard and buying locally, I feel it is about the same. For new boards and such, local distros or shops can offer a 1:1 exchange if they have stock. They may also help you to troubleshoot, if you bring the whole rig down. Beyond that, I feel there is little benefits for getting it locally especially when the price difference is huge.

Typical scenario when sending an item back to the distro:
1) You will need to take leave because they normally operate during office hours and at most half day on Saturdays,
2) Find your way to the industrial area, which I will normally catch a cab there (both ways in and out of the place),
3) You drop item there and if there is no 1:1 (waiting time for collection typically 4 to 8 weeks)
4) On collection, need to take leave again,
5) Find your way back to the distro to collect (another 2 cab rides in and out of the place)

At the end of the day, it depends on how savvy the buyer is with RMAing things. The above is just my perspective.

Calikura

Reaction score
Locally, I feel the MSI B350M Mortar is a better buy.

I recommend the Mortar as well. It is one of the best mATX boards, although it does have a few major drawbacks. If form factor doesn't matter too much, ATX has a much better selection of boards.

Also agree that RMA facilitated by local distro may not save you much hassle vs. international RMA or Amazon returns. Have experienced both and neither one is always faster/easier than the other.

The only good thing is that if the local distro's policy allows for it, they may provide immediate replacement from existing stock. But don't take it for granted that this will always be available.

robolee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
spent sometime and tweaked my ram timing and it's back to high spd, low latency again
although i have to downgrade my bios back to 0809 thou

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I go by the advice of not fixing something that is not broken. In the past of all the times I flashed a motherboard, I have broke it twice because of itchy fingers and curiosity to try new BIOS. Now, I don't flash it at all if it is working well unless there is a need to, i.e. security issues. Still, I will adopt a wait and see approach. :)

poooooo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I go by the advice of not fixing something that is not broken. In the past of all the times I flashed a motherboard, I have broke it twice because of itchy fingers and curiosity to try new BIOS. Now, I don't flash it at all if it is working well unless there is a need to, i.e. security issues. Still, I will adopt a wait and see approach. :)
I only flash after those guinea pig "verfied" ok :)

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wanted to check what application are you using to check the ram timings? I checked on CPUZ is showing 2133, but in my BIOS, it is showing 2933. I did not apply XMP profile but manually overclocked and applied the ram timings.

ah_khoo

Reaction score
Wanted to check what application are you using to check the ram timings? I checked on CPUZ is showing 2133, but in my BIOS, it is showing 2933. I did not apply XMP profile but manually overclocked and applied the ram timings.
Board midel bro? U can try win10 task mgr > memory. :)

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Potential Ryzen upgrader here, may I know does one still need to do many optimizations for a Ryzen setup ? Or can I just buy hardware, install Win 10 Pro, leave on default settings ?

robolee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Potential Ryzen upgrader here, may I know does one still need to do many optimizations for a Ryzen setup ? Or can I just buy hardware, install Win 10 Pro, leave on default settings ?

if you do not intend to even try and OC ryzen, it's definitely gonna be weaker than intel counterpart but lucky you Ryzen are very easy to overclock

OC to 3.7GHZ are easily doable
Ryzen love high freq ram (if u can secure a CL14 3200/above ram, ya golden) gonna cost you atm

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if you do not intend to even try and OC ryzen, it's definitely gonna be weaker than intel counterpart but lucky you Ryzen are very easy to overclock

OC to 3.7GHZ are easily doable
Ryzen love high freq ram (if u can secure a CL14 3200/above ram, ya golden) gonna cost you atm

Not overclocking but wanna know if default settings on Win 10 Pro ( updated to latest ) will work without any issues for gaming and casual productivity tasks.

If need to tweak here and there just for normal usage, might just hold upgrade first.

Heron_Kusanagi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So, for an entry level media content editing and creation system, should I think of Ryzen 7 1700? Is an Asrock 350 board ok if I am just looking at 16GB of RAM?

ah_khoo

Reaction score
D only optimazition needed is getting ram to hit that 3200mhz (on ram), n for this particular reason u need to choose ya board carefully. I would suggest msi/giga for now (given my experience with b350m gaming 3 n b350 tomahawk) but i heard good things bout asus b350 boards as well. :)

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.