www.hardwarezone.com.sg


www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Hardware Clinic (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/hardware-clinic-2/)
-   -   HWZ AMD Ryzen R5 Owners Klub (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/hardware-clinic-2/hwz-amd-ryzen-r5-owners-klub-5597378.html)

MacClipper 08-04-2017 10:35 AM

HWZ AMD Ryzen R5 Owners Klub
 
Lai lai lai, quickly chope one new HWC thread for all Ryzen 5 owners and players... let's welcome the incoming possibly new cost performance desktop champion.

Go grab your R5 soon and come here to share your experience, AMD R5 6C/12T vs Intel i5 4C/4T - a big battle awaits? =:p

Official retail date is actually 11/4/17... this early sample came alone without any box or packaging but retail versions should be prettier in presentation and more complete in bundling with the Spire cooler.


https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Ssm-uJLKJ...8Copy%2529.jpg



Initial impressions based on a sample size of just one R5 1600 (duh!) - very cool running 6 core 12 thread chip even on an old clipped on Zalman CNPS 10X air cooler, overclocks easily (within current process limitations), IMC seems not quite as strong as the R7 1700x sample...

wwenze 08-04-2017 10:38 AM

This is Phenom II vs Core 2 relived but with a twist - this time Ryzen is cooler.

But then this is based on reviews of course where they use the most power-guzzling parts for everything where possible. Comparison against normal i5 would be interesting.

Sucks that no IGP tho because I'm finding those useful since I'm now using ITX. Can we feel the irony?

MacClipper 08-04-2017 10:48 AM

Already local resellers are out with R5 pricing a few days ago liao at Carousiao...
One example

Quote:

Ryzen 5 1600X 6 12 95W 3.6GHz 4GHz =359sgd
Ryzen 5 1600 6 12 65W 3.2GHz 3.6GHz =329sgd
Ryzen 5 1500X 4 8 65W 3.5GHz 3.7GHz =289sgd
Ryzen 5 1400 4 8 65W 3.2GHz 3.4GHz =259sgd
Enticing enough?

ZrE0_Cha0s 08-04-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwenze (Post 107331032)
This is Phenom II vs Core 2 relived but with a twist - this time Ryzen is cooler.

But then this is based on reviews of course where they use the most power-guzzling parts for everything where possible. Comparison against normal i5 would be interesting.

Sucks that no IGP tho because I'm finding those useful since I'm now using ITX. Can we feel the irony?

same as well would required that iGPU as well :(

for troubleshooting purpose though.

ZrE0_Cha0s 08-04-2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacClipper (Post 107331154)
Already local resellers are out with R5 pricing a few days ago liao at Carousiao...
One example



Enticing enough?

wah. are they consider the actual pricing? (like same as those in SLS?)

Humster 08-04-2017 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacClipper (Post 107331154)
Already local resellers are out with R5 pricing a few days ago liao at Carousiao...
One example



Enticing enough?

Best R5 vs Lowest end R5 difference only S$100.

I'm really thinking about the reasons to get R5 1400 instead of saving and get the 1600X instead.

yusoffb01 08-04-2017 11:19 AM

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php...5+1600&id=2984

The 6C12T is 50% faster than current gen i5.

MacClipper 08-04-2017 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwenze (Post 107331032)
Sucks that no IGP tho because I'm finding those useful since I'm now using ITX. Can we feel the irony?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZrE0_Cha0s (Post 107331314)
same as well would required that iGPU as well :(

for troubleshooting purpose though.

Yeah, Zen APUs can't come soon enough...:vijayadmin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZrE0_Cha0s (Post 107331326)
wah. are they consider the actual pricing? (like same as those in SLS?)

SLS pricing also out!

https://preview.ibb.co/dEuF85/Price.png


Quote:

Originally Posted by Humster (Post 107331340)
Best R5 vs Lowest end R5 difference only S$100.

I'm really thinking about the reasons to get R5 1400 instead of saving and get the 1600X instead.

Maybe consider the plain 1600 instead, at least still 6C12T.

wwenze 08-04-2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacClipper (Post 107331154)
Already local resellers are out with R5 pricing a few days ago liao at Carousiao...
One example



Enticing enough?

Chotto matteeeeee

The 6 core + mobo is more expensive than an i5 7500 + ITX mobo?

Fatfool 08-04-2017 12:14 PM

WHERE ARE DA MINI-ITX BOARDS!

singupingu 08-04-2017 12:19 PM

Still waiting for better b350 boards with aura sync from asus. Migrate to building mid tower now coz the agony of waiting for itx boards is too great. :(

Sent from Overpowered Phone Mark III using GAGT

singupingu 08-04-2017 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwenze (Post 107331946)
Chotto matteeeeee

The 6 core + mobo is more expensive than an i5 7500 + ITX mobo?

Unlocked chip with better potential for high core and thread workloads (eg. Video production and rendering or 3d design). R5 is better prepared for both productivity and gaming compared to i5. I find the R5 6 cores variants is better balanced for both gaming and productivity scenario than the R7. Just my two cents.

Sent from Overpowered Phone Mark III using GAGT

ragnarok95 08-04-2017 12:25 PM

PCtheme price is so powerful lol.

R5 1600 cpu alone price - 329
Asus X370 pro gaming - 470

Bundle price - 891 :crazy::crazy:

singupingu 08-04-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragnarok95 (Post 107332858)
PCtheme price is so powerful lol.

R5 1600 cpu alone price - 329
Asus X370 pro gaming - 470

Bundle price - 891 :crazy::crazy:

:s22: :s13: :s22: :s13:

Sent from Overpowered Phone Mark III using GAGT

ZrE0_Cha0s 08-04-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragnarok95 (Post 107332858)
PCtheme price is so powerful lol.

R5 1600 cpu alone price - 329
Asus X370 pro gaming - 470

Bundle price - 891 :crazy::crazy:

should be typo error ba :s11:

royfrosty 08-04-2017 01:06 PM

Patiently waiting to get the r5 combo with x300.

Personally i feel that the 1600 is the answer to cheaper variant. After testing the r7 1700 i got confident that this 1600 would perform roughly the same at a cheaper pricing as intel 6800k.

Heck it, its even cheaper than intels i7 7700/k loh. Kns.

haylui 08-04-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwenze (Post 107331946)
Chotto matteeeeee

The 6 core + mobo is more expensive than an i5 7500 + ITX mobo?

Because this is no longer AMD fx series.

haylui 08-04-2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royfrosty (Post 107333457)
Patiently waiting to get the r5 combo with x300.

Personally i feel that the 1600 is the answer to cheaper variant. After testing the r7 1700 i got confident that this 1600 would perform roughly the same at a cheaper pricing as intel 6800k.

Heck it, its even cheaper than intels i7 7700/k loh. Kns.

When AMD have R5 then people wants to compare it to i5...lol

AMD should name current R7 as R9 and R5 as R7...

royfrosty 08-04-2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwenze (Post 107331946)
Chotto matteeeeee

The 6 core + mobo is more expensive than an i5 7500 + ITX mobo?

It will depends on what mobo is selected. Cause from what i know, they will be introducing more boards into the market to cater at every budget level.

So far they only came out boards that are mid to high end. No itx, only 2 mAtx boards, the rest all mid tier to high end boards.

poooooo 08-04-2017 01:19 PM

Wants a 1600/x but also wants more matx board to pick from. No harm waiting :/

royfrosty 08-04-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haylui (Post 107333569)
When AMD have R5 then people wants to compare it to i5...lol

AMD should name current R7 as R9 and R5 as R7...

Lol. But really, its just 2 cores disabled from r7 series. Still with the "bridge". So im pretty sure it will perform the same lol. Not unless heavily multi threaded workload then probably yes it wont work as well as r7 series. Gaming wise it should be the same.

Who knows? Scali can unlock the 2 cores and it become a r7? Lol

What is interesting is the 4c8t. Wanna see how their 4c8t 1400 works without the bridge. Will it solve all the ram frequency issues etc?

turbin95 08-04-2017 01:50 PM

Planning to get R5 1600 and asus b350m prime a board.

Does anyone know if this RAM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
is compatible? And what frequency can I run the ram at.

Encrypted11 08-04-2017 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royfrosty (Post 107333694)
Lol. But really, its just 2 cores disabled from r7 series. Still with the "bridge". So im pretty sure it will perform the same lol. Not unless heavily multi threaded workload then probably yes it wont work as well as r7 series. Gaming wise it should be the same.

Who knows? Scali can unlock the 2 cores and it become a r7? Lol

What is interesting is the 4c8t. Wanna see how their 4c8t 1400 works without the bridge. Will it solve all the ram frequency issues etc?

You reviewing R5? :o

royfrosty 08-04-2017 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Encrypted11 (Post 107334119)
You reviewing R5? :o

Most likely. If i got $.$ to buy for updating my old fx rig.

lamesensei 08-04-2017 02:08 PM

is it me or did the r7 series price went up after r5 was release?

daniel798 08-04-2017 03:02 PM

Thinking of getting the 1600 mainly for the cooler over the 1600x. :s13: Might not get on release day though.

Should be getting a B350 mobo with it. No point getting x370 if I dont intend to use more than 1 GPU right?:s11:

Techno Pride 08-04-2017 03:19 PM

I've lost touch with latest tech. Still rocking a dying Sandy Bridge rig.

If I were to get R5 1600 and Asus B350 Prime Plus, would the following work, with pcie Lane limitation issues:

1) Nvidia 1060
2) 5x SATA drives
3) nvme drive in future?

MacClipper 08-04-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haylui (Post 107333569)
When AMD have R5 then people wants to compare it to i5...lol

AMD should name current R7 as R9 and R5 as R7...

It's probably no coincidence that AMD named their Ryzen chips with exactly the same number system - R7 vs i7, R5 vs i5... check out the RRP. The intention is to show a side by side comparison at the same price point, AMD is easily the more cost effective chip.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2984&cmp[]=2919&cmp[]=2570

MacClipper 08-04-2017 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by singupingu (Post 107332746)
Still waiting for better b350 boards with aura sync from asus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbin95 (Post 107334056)
Planning to get R5 1600 and asus b350m prime a board...

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniel798 (Post 107335088)
Should be getting a B350 mobo with it. No point getting x370 if I dont intend to use more than 1 GPU right?:s11:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techno Pride (Post 107335298)
If I were to get R5 1600 and Asus B350 Prime Plus...

Wow, so much interest in B350 mobos esp. from Asus... :eek:

Gut feeling is current Asus R&D seems tightly focused on X370 models especially ROG so B350 models are lagging behind cos this is a totally new platform (OK, maybe ~1 month old in retail).

Advice - presently better to get ROG or at least another X370 if you can up the budget.


HTH

haylui 08-04-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royfrosty (Post 107333694)
Lol. But really, its just 2 cores disabled from r7 series. Still with the "bridge". So im pretty sure it will perform the same lol. Not unless heavily multi threaded workload then probably yes it wont work as well as r7 series. Gaming wise it should be the same.

Who knows? Scali can unlock the 2 cores and it become a r7? Lol

What is interesting is the 4c8t. Wanna see how their 4c8t 1400 works without the bridge. Will it solve all the ram frequency issues etc?


Well this is not what i meant.
The naming of the processor made people feels like R5 is equivalent to i5 but in fact R5 is a much powerful processor at the same price point especially in multi thread application.

blackestvoid 08-04-2017 05:39 PM

waiting for b350 board with the ram issues to be resolved
wonder if r5 will intro any new problems...

Entry Level PC 08-04-2017 05:53 PM

moi tan gu gu for Ryzen APU.

wwenze 08-04-2017 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haylui (Post 107336382)
Well this is not what i meant.
The naming of the processor made people feels like R5 is equivalent to i5 but in fact R5 is a much powerful processor at the same price point especially in multi thread application.

When you review stuff, do you compare them against other things of the same price, or do you compare different price points?

Well AMD did do you wish for in the past in the form of PR system. Yes Athlon 64 6000+. We know how that went.

Encrypted11 08-04-2017 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entry Level PC (Post 107337335)
moi tan gu gu for Ryzen APU.

Chiu seen the roadmap right?

H2 for laptop APU (bga), 2018 for desktop (pga/boxed)

Entry Level PC 08-04-2017 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Encrypted11 (Post 107337434)
Chiu seen the roadmap right?

H2 for laptop APU (bga), 2018 for desktop (pga/boxed)

:eek:
:(

tong until 2018 for my HTPC upgrade.

ikkozilla 08-04-2017 06:34 PM

Ryzen series 2 when chut lai?

Sent from Samsung SM-G900F using GAGT

PholkLorr 08-04-2017 06:39 PM

But i5 will probably still be better than r5 for games. Sadly.

For most people, the most demanding app they have on their com is a video game, not content creation or streaming. If you do those, then r5 is a no brainer.

Techno Pride 08-04-2017 07:47 PM

ok nvm. I saw that the Asus B350 Prime Plus has 6 SATA slots. So long as I dont put in an nvme drive, it should be fine.

Entry Level PC 08-04-2017 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PholkLorr (Post 107338028)
But i5 will probably still be better than r5 for games. Sadly.

For most people, the most demanding app they have on their com is a video game, not content creation or streaming. If you do those, then r5 is a no brainer.

I wonder 8th Gen Intel if i5 going 4 core 8 threads.

MoneyFace =p 08-04-2017 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haylui (Post 107333569)
When AMD have R5 then people wants to compare it to i5...lol

AMD should name current R7 as R9 and R5 as R7...

If your product is good, you name it R1 people will still buy...

MoneyFace =p 08-04-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royfrosty (Post 107333694)
Lol. But really, its just 2 cores disabled from r7 series. Still with the "bridge". So im pretty sure it will perform the same lol. Not unless heavily multi threaded workload then probably yes it wont work as well as r7 series. Gaming wise it should be the same.

Who knows? Scali can unlock the 2 cores and it become a r7? Lol

What is interesting is the 4c8t. Wanna see how their 4c8t 1400 works without the bridge. Will it solve all the ram frequency issues etc?

1400 is 1CCX SKU? Not severely cutted down 2 CCX R7 octo core die?

Encrypted11 08-04-2017 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyFace =p (Post 107339885)
1400 is 1CCX SKU? Not severely cutted down 2 CCX R7 octo core die?


requote
Anandtech says they have confirmation that 6C12T = 3+3 ccx, 4C8T = 2+2 ccx.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11202/...n-5-april-11th
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Cutress (Post 106912848)
We have confirmation from AMD that there are no silly games going to be played with Ryzen 5. The six-core parts will be a strict 3+3 combination, while the four-core parts will use 2+2. This will be true across all CPUs, ensuring a consistent performance throughout.


Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyFace =p (Post 107339853)
If your product is good, you name it R1 people will still buy...

Should name them summit ridge all RX-7, 8, 9.

So car buyers will incidentally chance upon Ryzen. Good marketing. :crazy:

ZrE0_Cha0s 08-04-2017 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entry Level PC (Post 107339521)
I wonder 8th Gen Intel if i5 going 4 core 8 threads.

den will there be any igpu by then?

serverxeon 08-04-2017 10:57 PM

saw some of you talk abt the ryzen memory problem... what exactly is it?

hohohos 08-04-2017 11:05 PM

If you use your pc for gaming only....i5 7600k with a hyper 212 is still a better combo.....
I'm a intel supporter but I want AMD to be successful

Ferolare 08-04-2017 11:55 PM

PCT doesnt have the 1500X listed

guess i'll buy 1600 next week lel :crazy:

/unless reviews reveal that 8MB L3 Cache doesnt have much of an impact and that Wraith Stealth is a decent cooler

MacClipper 09-04-2017 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yusoffb01 (Post 107331600)
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php...5+1600&id=2984

The 6C12T is 50% faster than current gen i5.




Yah, sometimes can also be faster than 12C/24T Xeons too. =:p

MacClipper 09-04-2017 11:45 AM

Just tightened RAM a little bit more... :)


MoneyFace =p 09-04-2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacClipper (Post 107344558)


Yah, sometimes can also be faster than 12C/24T Xeons too. =:p

Can do a clock for clock comparison with Intel 6C12T? As in at 3.3 GHz.

MoneyFace =p 09-04-2017 11:50 AM

I am more interested to see how these Ryzen 5 compares with those clock speed-locked Intel Core i5 of the same price range


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © SPH Magazines Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.