If you're thinking of buying a Secretlab chair... do NOT. Winter will come.

Magickiller9

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just an update.

22WJJOR.jpg

Lol seriously this chair cmi... I was previously in camp most of the time, only home during the weekend. Then I went uni and was home for less than 2-3hours a day... Can't be overused

yosemi

Reaction score
U9VEMu0.jpg
3Cinvg9.jpg

It will come in the form of your chair peeling. It will Snow white and black flakes all over your room. For $500, it’s advertised as the ‘crème de la crème’ of chairs. When buying it, I figured to pay a bit more for a quality one that would last me.

This ‘Premium quality’, ‘durable’, made with ‘High quality core materials’ chair lasted me 15 months before it started to peel simultaneously in multiple places including the sides. Usage may Varys, but It’s probably not just a super abrasive butt mistreating the chair. It hasn’t seen direct sunlight, just regular ol’ Singapore humidity, like every other chair for home use.

Support offered to replace the seat and backrest leather for $150, about 30% of the chair itself. Plus a very generous complimentary bottle of ‘premium’ leather cleaner. $150 for another brief 15 months before my chair turns Greyscale and my room Castle Black? Not today.

It’s not all doom and gloom. It’s a comfortable chair for sure, and the mechanisms have held up well. It’s just that if you’re expecting it to last you for years to come, I implore you - don’t get Littlefingered.

U nv ask them why like tat?

tazzi80

Master Member
Reaction score
Just get a Herman Miller, i got one from unwanted many years back, now still perfectly fine. And I don't take care of that chair at all, sweaty, dirty just sit. If need just use wet cloth to wipe. Don't even need to maintain.

logitech123

Master Member
Reaction score
Nope. The mesh material is some kind of tough synthetic material, not fabric or leather. Even my cats couldn't scratch it.

my ergohuman mesh material is very durable but the cushion under the mesh is tearing up by my cat.
is herman miller aeron really cat proof?

my friend secretlab chair is peeling after 6mths of light usage.

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my ergohuman mesh material is very durable but the cushion under the mesh is tearing up by my cat.

Yup, pretty much. I caught one of them trimming his nails on my HM mesh and it didn't even leave a scratch.

Not sure about cushions as mine does not have one except for the small x-shaped back-rest.

Magickiller9

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Main lesson. Don’t buy secret Lab ba. I just gotten a OSIM office chair. So much better.

tmfwy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For our climate, " Thin “ PU will definitely flake.

In 3 years air con environment

VHive Jupiter $359. Also PU but slightly thicker. Flaking wasn't an issue but the seams of the chair where you sit, tore off after 3 years of wear and tear. Outlook of the chair remained like 8/10

Some of the sofas, had thin PU and the majority flaked

IN less than 1 year air con environment
Inkagu J21 Mesh Chairs Fabric backing with PU base $159 when new
outlook remained the same
Squeaks from some which a little grease will help / tightening
No flaking

Ikea Markus PU version $299
Flaking after > 6 months in non-air conditioned environment

Car Seats
I releathered my car seat before. It costs a few hundred. for 2x sport seat the size of a bucket chair. rear pu and front leather. Able to sit in even under hot weather.

I won't be brand specific except to just be wary of "thin " pu plush material. Higher chance of not lasting..

Last edited:

akinto

Reaction score
Managed to buy the Throne 2 years back at a discounted price as a friend knew someone. I was already skeptical about these gaming chairs then but went ahead as the discount was substantial and "bundle price".

At first when I received it, I thought wah chio sia, looks like it might actually last. But like every PU leather product I've owned, I had the nagging feeling it will definitely peel in the future, question is when. Fast forward 1 year and I noticed cracks in the leather esp along the seams and lip area. Peeling was inevitable so I straight up sold the chair before it started peeling and luckily managed to recoup what I initially spent. Bought a second hand Steelcase Leap and never looked back.

Even at the price I paid(about 30% off), I still feel it's not a good buy, I'd rather invest on a HM or Steelcase and have it last 10 years than to baby and replace these China made chairs every 2-3 years. Don't need me to go into details how intentionally overpriced SL is too.

djdestiny

Reaction score
That would be one of the reasons. But in short, good PU leather tend to last longer just like the ones used on car seats. They go through hot sun and sweat/ water, but I don't usually see the PU leather peeling.

You might find that cars actually have proper leather when it isn't cotton or whatever. But, maseratis often come with pleather that's right and they do peel off if coming into contact with water or sweat depending on thickness

yandao07

Reaction score
hi guys, I have a Secret lab Omega bought from 2 years ago and the exact same issues as TS - leather is peeling like crazy and gets stuck to you when you are sitting on the chair. Other than that, still pretty comfy but the cleaning of the leather bits that are around the room is really annoying.

runforyourlife

Reaction score
Mine is 3 years and still as good as new. But mine is the not premium range. Wonder what TS did with his chair.

winter_lai_liao

Reaction score
got my omega 1.5yr ago, now got one hole at the thigh area due to flaking.. trying vinyl repair kit to patch, not sure if it will spoil my chair lol

Laoniang_hippo

Reaction score
This is mine Throne V1 after 2 years.

Below is also what they said when I asked about the possibility of reholstering.

I strongly recommend NOT to buy from them. I have another DX racer chair until today still not a single sign of peeling. You pay what you get.

4iek9t.jpg

We have checked the system, and it seems that the 18-month warranty for your Yellow Throne V1 has expired in March. Please be assured that we will still do our best to help you out with this.

We will be able to offer a brand new replacement seat base and backrest for your Throne V1 as follow:

Brand new seatbase : $45
Brand new backrest: $45

Technician transportation/assembly fees: $30

Total: $120 (inclusive of GST).

We do have a trade-in program exclusively for our Throne V1 customers, where we offer $150 trade-in value that can be used to upgrade to Omega 2018, Throne 2018 and Titan chair. This trade-in program can be used in conjunction with the ongoing Christmas Sales. With the trade-in program, the price of the Throne 2018 will be $399-$150=$249, the price of the Omega 2018 will be $469-$150=$319, and the price of the Titan chair will be $529-$150=$379.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.