HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

No more Amazon free shipping potentially

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #46
High Supremacy Member

Also, since the International store is from US and the price is already in SGD, we will need to pay DCC.

from: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/cr...g-5595638.html
The price reflected in the Prime SG app is exactly the amount reflected in the bank statement. DCC would had already been incorporated into the final price.
Processor
Q6600 at 3.2Ghz
Mainboard
Asus Rampage Formula
Graphics Card
Palit ATI4870 1GB
Memory
G.Skill 8GB DDR1000
Display
Sony 40W400A and Dell 2407 HC
Storage
4 x OCZ RAID0 SSD / 4 x WD640AAKS RAID5
Optical Storage
LG 16x, Samsung 203B
Casing
Lian Li PC71B
PSU
Corsair HX620
Audio
HDA X-Plosion + Tannoy HT
OS
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

TopGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #47
Master Member

The price reflected in the Prime SG app is exactly the amount reflected in the bank statement. DCC would had already been incorporated into the final price.
Oops my bad. Thought it will be like Uber, which reflects the price in SGD but still having to pay DCC.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #48
Master Member

So what does everybody think? Is Amazon prime a viable alternative to the free shipping problem? Albeit with a lesser variety available?

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/true-c...7b-first-time/
The only alternative, if still want to shop amazon, but with a poorer cust svc experience for those of us used to amazon US. At least from what I heard from a friend's order. E.g. Simple stuff like order cancellation is not as straightforward as it was. Can't cancel through the app, no web forms, etc. They asked him to contact the courier co to cancel the order, like wtf right...

Plus the app only experience sucks for those of us who prefer desktop + app options, at least can use 3rd party services like camelcamelcamel to create price watches, see price history. Will also miss out on daily/lightning deals.

So it's not just a matter of the variety, but the whole shopping experience is altered and seems to be sub-par, at least for now.
kandinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:11 PM   #49
Arch-Supremacy Member

Some items can still ship to SG just pay for shipping or use forwarders for non SG items.
Processor
CRAY SUPER COMPUTER 1TetraHz
Mainboard
Cray super mobo
Graphics Card
Holographics card (1GB)
Memory
1 TeraByte
Display
What display? Holographics
Storage
On RAM
Optical Storage
DVD stamping Machine
Casing
Custom made
PSU
1 Kilowatt
Audio
Bang and Olufsen
OS
Windows Unix Mac ver 10

Alphas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #50

So, did u sign for the Prime Now at $2.99/mth?
Ya. I signed on for prime now but it is free for the first month and under my membership status it's prime (free trial).

Under membership info it indicates I'll be charged for Sgd2.99 on Jan 11 2018.
Hashketh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #51

The only alternative, if still want to shop amazon, but with a poorer cust svc experience for those of us used to amazon US. At least from what I heard from a friend's order. E.g. Simple stuff like order cancellation is not as straightforward as it was. Can't cancel through the app, no web forms, etc. They asked him to contact the courier co to cancel the order, like wtf right...

Plus the app only experience sucks for those of us who prefer desktop + app options, at least can use 3rd party services like camelcamelcamel to create price watches, see price history. Will also miss out on daily/lightning deals.

So it's not just a matter of the variety, but the whole shopping experience is altered and seems to be sub-par, at least for now.
Hey man you are totally on point on using camelX3 due to price fluctuations. It was handy for black Friday. Along with reddit/buildapcsales it's easy to catch sales/ deals when it happens.

I don't know about the customer service for prime but I do like Amazon us so far.

I gave a feedback via email as their app doesn't even have a wishlist feature. Makes it difficult to maintain my own custom lists in prime since my lists in the US site is not port over or anything.
kandinsky likes this.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #52

Some items can still ship to SG just pay for shipping or use forwarders for non SG items.
I agree. Although I think people like us are quite cheapo hence the upset over the scrapping of the free shipping feature. Or maybe I the only cheap ******* around.

Some items are just impractical to get overseas. Ie big/bully item that used to be available for free shipping that we just need to settle for local prices.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #53
Supremacy Member

I agree. Although I think people like us are quite cheapo hence the upset over the scrapping of the free shipping feature. Or maybe I the only cheap ******* around.

Some items are just impractical to get overseas. Ie big/bully item that used to be available for free shipping that we just need to settle for local prices.
I don't think amazon us offer free shipping for bulky items. They cannot exceed certain packaging dimensions. Some managed to get it waived by contacting the cso. Perhaps that's why they no longer offer free shipping on all items.
Processor
i7 4790
Mainboard
Gigabyte H97-D3H
Graphics Card
EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX3
Memory
4 x 4GB Gskill Ripjaws 1600
Display
Samsung C32H711
Storage
Intel 530 240GB, Intel 330 180GB, Crucial BX100 500GB, WD Black 2TB
Casing
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Arcrylic
PSU
EVGA G2 750W
Audio
ALC 1150
OS
Win 10

muddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #54

I don't think amazon us offer free shipping for bulky items. They cannot exceed certain packaging dimensions. Some managed to get it waived by contacting the cso. Perhaps that's why they no longer offer free shipping on all items.
You are right on the size restrictions, that not all items can be shipped. I'm the lucky few who bugged the cso to get his pc case 😁
Old 12-12-2017, 09:35 PM   #55
Arch-Supremacy Member

It is not about being cheapo. The shipping can add a substantial cost depending on item. For example, I was quoted 40+ USD in my recent purchase if I don't choose the free shipping option. 125 USD plus another 40+ negates the benefit of shopping there.
Processor
Ryzen 5 1600X
Mainboard
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3
Graphics Card
Zotac GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Memory
Klevv DDR4 3000 2x8GB CL14
Display
Dell U2515H
Storage
Samsung 850 Pro & Evo 512GB/ Crucual MX500 500GB/ WD Black 750GB
Optical Storage
LG Bluray Drive
Casing
Fractal Design ARC Mini R2
PSU
Seasonic G550
Audio
Realtek ALC887
OS
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #56
Arch-Supremacy Member

Perhaps that's why they no longer offer free shipping on all items.
I doubt that is the reason. Surely Amazon know that by offering free shipping, they are in fact cannibalizing their own Amazon Prime Now in Singapore. By taking out free shipping, it also gives us more reason to sign up for Prime membership.
Processor
Ryzen 5 1600X
Mainboard
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3
Graphics Card
Zotac GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Memory
Klevv DDR4 3000 2x8GB CL14
Display
Dell U2515H
Storage
Samsung 850 Pro & Evo 512GB/ Crucual MX500 500GB/ WD Black 750GB
Optical Storage
LG Bluray Drive
Casing
Fractal Design ARC Mini R2
PSU
Seasonic G550
Audio
Realtek ALC887
OS
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #57

I doubt that is the reason. Surely Amazon know that by offering free shipping, they are in fact cannibalizing their own Amazon Prime Now in Singapore. By taking out free shipping, it also gives us more reason to sign up for Prime membership.
Yes quite a few of the more established brands (non IT category) in US are also doing this, first they stop doing international shipping, next they start rejecting orders that are going to freight forwarders' addresses so they can "protect" their business

It's disaster for the more savvy consumer though, since they're essentially closing up the loopholes that would otherwise make purchasing online more cost effective
VacheronLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:38 PM   #58
Master Member

Kinda confusing. So does signing up Prime gets free shipping from US
Or Prime no Prime also no free shipping?
OceanEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:53 PM   #59
High Supremacy Member

You are right on the size restrictions, that not all items can be shipped. I'm the lucky few who bugged the cso to get his pc case 😁
You are an embarrassment.
Processor
Q6600 at 3.2Ghz
Mainboard
Asus Rampage Formula
Graphics Card
Palit ATI4870 1GB
Memory
G.Skill 8GB DDR1000
Display
Sony 40W400A and Dell 2407 HC
Storage
4 x OCZ RAID0 SSD / 4 x WD640AAKS RAID5
Optical Storage
LG 16x, Samsung 203B
Casing
Lian Li PC71B
PSU
Corsair HX620
Audio
HDA X-Plosion + Tannoy HT
OS
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

TopGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:55 PM   #60
Master Member

Kinda confusing. So does signing up Prime gets free shipping from US
Or Prime no Prime also no free shipping?
If you DL the app and browse, you will see that there is an 'international' section when you search. So these are the items that qualify for the new fssg under APN.

About Amazon Prime Now
Amazon Prime Now is a benefit of Amazon Prime that allows members to place orders for items from a local and international selection of products, exclusively via the Prime Now app.

What is Prime Now?

Prime Now provides quick delivery options for local products (available and delivered from within Singapore) and international products (available and shipped from the United States).

For orders placed with the local selection, there are two delivery options: a S$5.99 delivery fee for orders under S$40 in a two-hour window or one hour delivery for S$9.99 per order. If your order is S$40 or more, two-hour delivery is free. You can view your local order on its way to you using a map in Your Orders.

For orders with the international selection, there are two delivery options - Standard Delivery (7-9 business days) or Priority Delivery (2-5 business days). If an International order is S$60 or more, Standard Delivery is free. Please see International Delivery Rates & Times for more details on the delivery options for International orders.

Once your order is placed you'll receive tracking updates in the app and via text message.

Where and when do we deliver?

Local Singapore Orders : We currently deliver from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week. One-hour delivery is available in select postal codes serviced by Amazon Prime Now. Two-hour delivery is available in all of our delivery areas. We deliver to mainland Singapore and Sentosa, but do not currently service outlying islands.

International Orders : We offer Standard Delivery within 7-9 business days. Prime Members who need an expedited delivery within 2-5 business days can choose Priority Delivery at checkout. Please see International Delivery Rates & Times for more details on the delivery options for International orders. We deliver to mainland Singapore and Sentosa, but do not currently service outlying islands.

https://www.amazon.com.sg/help/aboutAmazonPrimeNow
kandinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.