HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Questions about I/O Shield Replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #1
Master Member

Question Questions about I/O Shield Replacement

Hi all, I am currently undergoing a refurbishment project to resurrect old computers with new parts.

The existing case in question is an Acer Veriton 7600GT, a mid-tower mATX casing. The case's airflow is not the best so I am looking to modify it. Most likely will install a Hyper 212 Evo cooler with the CPU when I overclock it. (Or is an air-cooler from Be Quiet! better?)

I have taken out the motherboard and intend to replace it with an AsRock Fata1ity Killer Z97M motherboard, but I forgot that I need to take out the old I/O Shield.

How do you guys remove the I/O shield? It doesn't appear that there are rivets holding it. Is it held by super glue or some other adhesive? Would it be safe to use a hammer + screw driver to knock it off then?

The replacement motherboard ships with an I/O shield as well, how should I secure the new I/O shield? Or is the motherboard when installed sufficient to hold the I/O Shield in place?

Looking forward to the advice here, thanks!!!
Intel 6th Gen Core i5-6600k on OC @ 4.6GHz
Mainboard
AsRock Z170 Gaming K6
Graphics Card
2x XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890 (1GB) with Crossfire X, OC Core @ 930MHz, Mem @ 1040Hz
Memory
4 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPDDR4 on XMP @ 2400MHz
Display
Acer AL1517 15" Square LCD (<10% life)
Storage
5 * HDD, 1 * M2 SATA SSD, 5 * USB 3.0 External Storage
Optical Storage
LG Optical DVD Writer + 2 x Samsung External DVD Writer
Casing
Cooler Master CM630 1st Generation
PSU
Silverstone SST ST-1500 80 Plus Silver @ 1500W, 1600W Peak
Audio
Realtek HD Audio
OS
Windows 10 Pro x64 ver 2004 (Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel)

it_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

The I/O shield in a DIY PC is not secured. It is held in place by the MB pushing it against the cut-out at the back of casing.

Should be the same for OEM PCs as well. I suggest you apply a bit of force on the I/O shield from the outside of the casing. Be careful not to cut yourself.

Do note that OEM casings tend to have custom configurations including different front panel connections.
Processor
Ryzen 3700X
Mainboard
Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming K7
Graphics Card
Galax GTX 1070Ti EX-SNPR
Memory
Team T-Force Night Hawk 2X8GB DDR4-3200@3600 16-17-19-36 1.36V
Display
Acer Predator Z35
Storage
Adata 2TB SX8200 Pro + Sandisk 480GB Extreme Pro + 2X4TB HGST NAS + 8TB Seagate Barracuda
Casing
Phanteks P400S
PSU
Corsair AX1200i
OS
Windows 10 Pro v1909

Koenig168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.