HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Random test of R5 2600/MSI X470 Gaming Plus/Sniper X 3600

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #1

Random test of R5 2600/MSI X470 Gaming Plus/Sniper X 3600

dear all,

writing this quick walk thru to share with u all what this decent combo is capable of & what can be expected from em - tweaking wise (mainly CPU & ram), I only have a HD6570 which can't do even lite gaming so gaming tests are out.

a special thanks to AMD Singapore as well as Corbell Technology for bringing in such a decent combo @ affordable price > SGD449 (for R5 2600 & MSI X470 Gaming Plus which bought from PC Theme, free $20 shopping voucher as well as a small pillow for gaming chair, ***promotion & while stock last only...).

let's start it off with some pictures, i'll let em speak for themselves then... (pardon me for the poor quality of pics, photography is never my forte)

The gathering...
- The lab mice and the freebies. Love the anime themed pillow, while the NTUC vouchers are good for lite groceries shopping.

The chip itself...
- XFR 2.0 (Extended Frequency Range 2), an algorithm to decide how boost frequency works based on Power & Temperature factor. The better the cooling and the lower power (silicon lottery) and you'll get yourself better boost frequency, all by itself. I gotta mention that AMD stock cooler is no longer a display item like older day, the stock cooler nowadays Wraith Stealth/Spire[RGB]/Wraith Max actually does a decent job for non overclocked/litely overclocked setup, MINUS TURBO ENGINE NOISE which can be found on older stock cooler.
- Precision Boost 2.0 (PB 2.0), an improved technology over its predecessor - PB 1.0, for boosting more cores (apart from 1 single core stays @ highest frequency) vs only 1 single core with highest frequency with the rest stay at rated frequency. This is a very good approach to improve multi core efficiency.

*Further details on XFR 2.0 & PB 2.0 are explained here by AMD folks themselves.

- StoreMi, a new feature on Gen2 & X470/B450 board where it stores the frequently access data into the fastest drive (SSD) so that users will experience faster data access even though actual data are stored on normal platter hard drives. StoreMi also allows up to 2GB of RAM as a last-level cache for ultra-fast data.

The pew pew Sniper X DDR4 3600 CL19
- SRP @ SGD26x-27x, reasonably priced for such highly binned sticks, albeit timing is quite lax. These sticks are not binned for AMD Ryzen so don't expect 3600 can be done right out of the box. We will see further how it fare on the Ryzen gen2 combo. I'd say ram overclocking on Ryzen/Ryzen Gen2 is like bottle of wine - it gets better with age if tweaked right. So when you 1st plug in your ram sticks and they don't work as expected, don't get too disheartened.

The mothership... ooppss... motherboard...
- Aesthetically wise it is a little bit plain, color theme still remained Red & Black (MSI Gaming theme). What I really like is the sexy matte black PCB, no more glossy dark brown PCB which usually used on mainstream boards.

MSI X470 Gaming Plus - In general

Rear I/O view
- Basically what one would expect, dedicated gaming device port for keyboard & mouse (USB 2.0), DVI, Hi-Res HDMI, USB 3.1 Gen2 ports (2x Gen2, Type A and 4x Gen1, Type A), LAN port as well as gold plated audio (7.1 & S/PDIF) output.

Last edited by ah_khoo; 16-08-2018 at 10:49 AM..
ah_khoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #2

Box rear view
- Basically it shows the features plus the specifications of the board.

Accessories
- Nothing flashy, just the necessity - IO plate, driver DVD, manual, nice black SATA cables & labels (sticker) & da' MSI Gaming case badge

the BIG 4+2 phase VRM
- At a quick glance it does seem like a 8+2 phase, but to be more precise it's actually a 4 (vCore) +2 (vSOC) phase with double high side + low side mosfets, hence the word BIG. not as efficient as those 5+1/6+4 or even higher available on higher end series which comes with bigger price tag, but definitely better than PLAIN 4+2/4+3 available on entry level X470 boards. As a result, u get lower temp on load & longer life span, theoretically. Better mileage too for CPU coz when VRM is too hot, CPU will get throttled.

VRM controller
- The board uses Richtek RT8894A PWM controller, hence explained the BIG 4+2 phase VRM available.

vCore VRM
- Uses 4C029 on highside (46A) and 4C024 lowside (78A) by On Semiconductor (thanks to bro RoyFrosty's post https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...x-5826726.html), read that they should be able to take the beatings on moderately overclocked 6 cores or stock 2700/2700X (boost @ up to 4.3GHz)

vSOC VRM
- Again, the 2 BIG phase VRM with doubled up high & low side mosfets.

vDIMM VRM & DIMM slots LED indicator
- Can clearly see it's 1 BIG phase of VRM for vDIMM, again. MSI certainly not being stingy in providing good components for the VRMs. One welcome feature I found on this board is there is LED indicator for each DIMM slot, same goes to main pci-E x16 slot (not shown in picture). A nice touch even though not a must.
clon22 and @Corbell like this.

Last edited by ah_khoo; 16-08-2018 at 12:09 PM..
Old 11-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #3

the VRM coolers
- They are actually quite heavy, volume is there but more surface (aka more fins) are always welcome.

VRM coolers' contact
- Can see from the thermalpad the coolers are making good contact with the mosfets, I'd expect decent if not great VRM temp @ load.

SouthBridge/Chipset cooler
- Nothing flashy, the lack of LED/RGB might disappoint those who like bling & zing, but fine to my book. Enough surface area to cool the heat generated.

the mysterious additional 4pins for EPS 12V
- Something not really needed for current Gen2 Ryzen chips given the power requirement. Might be useful for upcoming 10 cores chips (rumoured) but I won't bet my money on the VRM is suffice (even with this BIG 4+2 phase VRM)

4 layers PCB
- The board utilises 4 layers PCB, it's what I'd expect for entry level of X470 boards. Higher end should have more layers, from what I recalled should be 6~8 back into those Bulldozer day.

pci-E ports layout
- Proper arrangement of x16 pci-E ports, no issue for cross-firing 2 cards with 2.5 slots cooler. The lacked of SLi support means user can only do crossfire (8x/8x) when on dual GPUs setup. Unless nVidia allow the SLi of mid range GPU like GTX1060 or even GTX1050 Ti, else, just go for single higher end card which one can afford. Noticed that primary x16 pci-E slot is with steel armour - to strengthen d slot to withstand the enormous weight of high end graphic cards these days. Secondary and thrid slot don't get the same love but how many user really run multi GPU setup nowadays? Not with an entry board for sure.

Last edited by ah_khoo; 16-08-2018 at 10:55 AM..
Old 11-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #4

MSI X470 Gaming Plus features/connectors

Angled SATA connectors
- Personally I always like angled SATA/USB 3 connectors, it just make things look tidier, at least to my eyes.

USB3 connectors
- Like mentioned above, always love angled connector(s), but when additional vertical USB3 is provided (with the presence of angled one), no complaint from me.

Audio with ALC892
- The use of Realtek ALC892 might look slightly inferior to other X470 entry boards which get Realtek S1220A, but for those who prefer discrete soundcard like me, doesn't really matter. Onboard audio are getting better nowadays but still, I always love my Auzentech Bravura 7.1 which I think no other onboard audio can offer same quality of sound for music playback. At least, I don't pay extra for what I don't really use.

Gigabit ethernet with Realtek 8111H
- Again, the choice of having normal grade NIC controller in Realtek 8111H instead of more atas grade in Intel might upset some, but fine to my book as long as it gets the job done.

2x RGB headers for the bling
- 2 RGB headers are available on board. I'd say they are nicely put @ the bottom of the board (for RGB strip) while another for AIO/air cooler with RGB fan(s). Might be hard to match RGB strip/cooler/AIO with the on board LED (RED & SKY BLUE, available at the back of the board) but one can always try if bling is really matter.

Clear CMOS button
- Very useful feature especially for those who like to tweak around but tryin to take shortcuts (going too far) & caused the board failed to boot. Not something you see all the time on entry level board.

6x fan headers (4 pins PWM)
- The board comes with 6x fan headers with 1 is dedicated for high powered pump (AIO/custom WC) is more than enough for normal setup.

*pic was actually "kop-ed" from MSI X470 Gaming Plus instruction manual. doing this to minimize the limitation of 8 pics per post.

MSI X470 Gaming Plus BIOS Walkthrough

EZ Mode
- For those who doesn't like to tinker around. very simple navigation, just point the mouse cursor & click.

Advanced Mode
- Simple but neat layout, minus the bling. If I'm not mistaken, higher end series comes with animated background in the middle.

Secure Erase+
- Another welcome feature, to securely erase contents of SSD or "refreshing" the performance of aging/heavily used SSD.

Last edited by ah_khoo; 16-08-2018 at 10:54 AM..
Old 11-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #5

OC page
- This is where all the overlocking options to be altered to suit what you're throwing at the system, namely CPU, ram & the iGPU (for APUs). Noticed that there's an option called A-XMP, basically AMD version of XMP. Surprised to see there are 2 profiles available there for Sniper X, which is not really catered specifically for AMD Ryzen. Memory Retry Count option proved to be useful too, usually I set it to 1 (1-5 available) to cut the time needed to reboot when memory timing set was too tight. I think the reason 1-5 times option are there for memory training purposes. Set it to 2 or 3 for better luck to boot @ higher frequency/tighter timing.

Memory Try It!!!
- Much welcome feature, predefined profiles for memory frequency, timing as well as memory voltage. Tighter one are always meant for Samsung B-die sticks, while looser one can always be trial & error for non B-die memory - Hynix AFR/MFR/CJR (used on Sniper X DDR4 3600), or even Samsung E/C-die. Not sure modules with Micron chips as I've encountered none so far.

Advanced DRAM configuration
- Tonnes of memory configuration to play around, I'd say minimum 80-90% of the options appeared in Ryzen DRAM Calculator are here. Good for those who want to push their memory further.

LLC for vCore & vSOC
- You will know if a board is meant for more serious overclocking if LLC option is available. Voltages protection options are available too in the page as shown.

CPU features
- The place where one messes around with the Cool & Quite, Enabling/Disabling of SMT (Hyperthreading equivalent for Intel), SVM (virtualization) & etc...

OC Profile
- Page where users can save their different overclock profiles. There are options to export/import these profiles from removable media (optical ROM/USB thumb drive)

Hardware Monitor
- And finally, Hardware Monitor let users to not only monitor the temperatures, voltage, fan speed etc but also allow the setting of fan(s) curve to minimize the noise generated by various fan(s).

Last edited by ah_khoo; 16-08-2018 at 12:21 PM..
Old 12-08-2018, 12:10 AM   #6

Sniper X DDR4 3600 Mileage

Test bed is kinda chui but if it's not mean for gaming so it's fine as long as it works...

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 cooled with AMD Wraith Cooler (similar to Wraith Max minus the bling)
MSI X470 Gaming Plus (Bios 7B79vA4 @ Agesa 1004)
Sniper DDR4 3600 CL19
Sapphire HD6570
Antec Truepower 550W

Ram mileage used to be low during the earlier days but thanks to AMD constant update of Agesa (microcodes) we have seen vast improvement these days. I'd say 3200MHz is the minimum one should target if the pair of ram is rated 3k +/- 200MHz. 3533/3600 is attainable but one really need an above average memory controller & a pair of good ram to achieve it, especially for 24/7 setup. I personally hope i can got to 3533MHz with this pair of Sniper X but I know lotsa time needed to get the best outta it. One can always hope...

I've decided to go with P95 blendtest (14GB allocated) 1 hour for quick stability test. might not be as rigorous as memtest especially for memory stability but for overall system stability it's good enough. P95 also utilizes AVX hence it will push power draw/temperature more compared to memtest/Aida64.

CPU frequency wise I leave it @ 3.9GHz, the boost frequency but with manual OC. so what I get is a full-fledged 6 cores running @ 3.9GHz instead of 1 core @ 3.9GHz & few slightly below that). It's the max the wraith cooler can take (with 6 cores running @ 3.9GHz constantly) in my CM Elite 361

DDR4 3200 @ 14-17-17-17, vDIMM @ 1.37v, vSOC @ 0.95v

DDR4 3333 @ 16-17-17-17, vDIMM @ 1.35v, vSOC @ 0.95v

DDR4 3400 @ 16-17-17-17, vDIMM @ 1.35v, vSOC @ 0.95v

DDR4 3466 @ 16-17-17-17, vDIMM @ 1.38v, vSOC @ 1.075v

Last edited by ah_khoo; 25-08-2018 at 02:17 AM..
Old 12-08-2018, 01:29 AM   #7

Reserve 6.....
Old 12-08-2018, 01:49 AM   #8

ah_khoo
long time no see bro, I gotta stop & go koonz liao. continue tmr…
Old 12-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #9

Looking forward to your RAM optimization and timings!
Processor
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Mainboard
ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Graphics Card
EVGA 1080Ti SC Black Edition
Memory
GSkill Sniper X 2x8G 3600MHz CL19
Display
Acer Predator XB271HU | Dell 2414U
Storage
500GB Samsung 850 EVO | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM
Casing
Corsair Air 540
PSU
Corsair RM650i
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
OS
Windows 10 Pro

-Grift- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #10
Master Member

Why are you saying there's no SLI? X470 supports SLI
shadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just checking even without that extra CPU 4 power. The CPU still work right?
ZrE0_Cha0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:53 AM   #12

Just checking even without that extra CPU 4 power. The CPU still work right?
Yup, working fine. The additonal 4 pin is not needed to be connected.
Why are you saying there's no SLI? X470 supports SLI
Not surpised to know that some entry level boards of high end chipset got SLi support removed to cut cost. SLi support need license if am not mistaken.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #13
High Supremacy Member

Lol the carpet complements the board design. Nice walkthrough
Processor
AMD Threadripper 1900X
Mainboard
Asus X399 Zenith Extreme
Graphics Card
Nvidia GeForce GTX1080ti Founders Edition
Memory
Gskill Sniper X 3600mhz CL19 4x8gb
Display
Acer Z35P Predator
Storage
Samsung 950 Pro 512gb + Samsung Evo 960 1tb
Optical Storage
Can eat or not?
Casing
Inwin 909 Black
PSU
Seasonic Prime 850w 80+ Gold
Audio
Bose Soundtouch 300 + Bose Acoustimass 300 + Bose Invisible 300
OS
Windows 10 Pro

royfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 11:20 AM   #14
Featured Distributor for Hardware Clinic, Storage Clinic

Wow, bro, very nice!
Haven't seen such old school write-ups in years.
Thumbs up for you!
Mem re-try i set to 2 for mine.
Sometimes on borderline unstable-ness, they still managed to boot.
(ie.3800MHz.)

-Local MSI product arrival/price updates: Kabylake/Ryzen
-MSI TwinFrozr Club! Come join our very own SG club!
=My Cooling=
TRU12E Cu LE / Vapo LS Singlestage /
SF3D Inflection Pt CPU pot + Ryba slim GPU pot ver.2
Processor
A10-5800K / FX8150
Mainboard
MSI A75IA-E53 / MSI 990FXA-GD80
Graphics Card
MSI R9 270X Gaming 4G / MSI GTX 1080 AERO 8G / MSI G92 512 w/Tt Duorb(Spare)
Memory
Wall of Gskills
Casing
MSI Nightblade casing / Lian-Li A07
PSU
Acbel R8 607w / Thortech 850W iMeter
Audio
MonitordeAudiotrak Prodigy HD Gold w/LM4562 + Bose 2.0
OS
Win 10 / Win 7

clon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #15
Featured Distributor for Hardware Clinic, Storage Clinic

Yup, working fine. The additonal 4 pin is not needed to be connected.

Not surpised to know that some entry level boards of high end chipset got SLi support removed to cut cost. SLi support need license if am not mistaken.
Yeah, needs to be paid.
For this model, it doesn't have.

-Local MSI product arrival/price updates: Kabylake/Ryzen
-MSI TwinFrozr Club! Come join our very own SG club!
=My Cooling=
TRU12E Cu LE / Vapo LS Singlestage /
SF3D Inflection Pt CPU pot + Ryba slim GPU pot ver.2
Processor
A10-5800K / FX8150
Mainboard
MSI A75IA-E53 / MSI 990FXA-GD80
Graphics Card
MSI R9 270X Gaming 4G / MSI GTX 1080 AERO 8G / MSI G92 512 w/Tt Duorb(Spare)
Memory
Wall of Gskills
Casing
MSI Nightblade casing / Lian-Li A07
PSU
Acbel R8 607w / Thortech 850W iMeter
Audio
MonitordeAudiotrak Prodigy HD Gold w/LM4562 + Bose 2.0
OS
Win 10 / Win 7

clon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.