xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reviewed: SanDisk Ultra microSDXC UHS-I (2014 Model) 64GB

NIKWJ.jpg

Summary:
0Uw34.jpg

YdLv9.jpg

So overall, the card has improved by A LOT over the older series, with write speeds becoming so much more consistent now, and not only that, A LOT faster too! Even on the random read and write end, speeds have increased 2 fold. Sequential read speed, however is pretty similar to that of the older model. This card has officially declared war on the Samsung Evo for the throne of best card for mobile. Nonetheless here are the speeds:
READ – 44441KB/s
WRITE – 30687KB/s

With the refreshment of the line, SanDisk has once again put their best foot forward to make their cards relevant again in today’s speed challenges. This card is highly recommended for use in mobile devices and are pretty OK for use for sequential use such as transferring of block files or for the use in the camera. Like the previous card, we weren’t able to find out whether if this card was TLC or MLC based, although we are inclined to believe that this is TLC based. With a price availability of about $45, and a 10 years (Vector Magnetics) or lifetime warranty (Kiara), this card could well be worth the penny!

Check the full review right here!

Last edited:

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are 2 - TWO versions. Refer to the full post at the link at the end of each post to see how to determine and the benchmarks :)

No we do not buy at sim lim so I'm unable to comment.

Is it Best bargain that one? :)

any other reviews? Thanks for your effort. :D

There will be more, will end once we post the conclusion.

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reviewed: Samsung PRO microSD (Old Model) (64GB)

Bvgpl.jpg

Summary:
cAsnV.jpg

cAsnV.jpg

Overall, as we can see, the card has performance has not been exactly constant. It speed has been varying alot. Overall, the speed are:
READ - 72567 KB/s
WRITE - 16291 KB/s

All in all, back in the days when it was first released, the card sure did perform well. However, in this year, the performance now lags behind many of its competitors, especially in write, but its read has still managed to mantain a grip over its competition. That said, its read speed exceeds that of the rated speed of 70MB/s but write can be said to be catching up nonetheless. Based on TLC technology (or 3-bit MLC NAND), with now a price availability of around SGD$50, there are many other cards that are more than sufficient to be up to the task, unless of course, you need a cheap card that has such a high read speed.

Full review of the Samsung PRO microSD (Old Model)

Last edited:

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reviewed: Samsung PRO microSD (New 2014 Model) (64GB)

kUAEa.jpg

Summary:
LUQun.jpg

GvdrY.jpg

Overall, as we can see, the speeds are very close to the rated speed by Samsung, although the write has not been exactly consistent. Random speed wise, it has also performed very well, although it still stops short of the EVO series, it still performs very well! Overall, the speeds are:
READ – 85583 KB/s
WRITE – 77288 KB/s

All in all, the refreshment of the card definitely did good for it, and the card is still a very well rounded card. I would say that this could probably be the best all rounder high-end card. With its good performance in both random and sequential speeds, this card is indeed worthy of being the flagship card. Powered by MLC technology, and a price availability of $75, this is actually, one of the more affordable flagship cards. Whilst rated at only UHS-I Class 1, the performance indicates that it is more than capable to support UHS-I Class 3, and as a new card, this is pretty surprising to us. This card though, is recommended for both mobile or even camera use, and there is no reason to ignore this card, unless of course, you are on a budget.

Read the full review of the new Samsung Pro MicroSD card here!

Last edited:

bornerwave

Master Member
Reaction score
kUAEa.jpg

Summary:
LUQun.jpg

GvdrY.jpg

Overall, as we can see, the speeds are very close to the rated speed by Samsung, although the write has not been exactly consistent. Random speed wise, it has also performed very well, although it still stops short of the EVO series, it still performs very well! Overall, the speeds are:

All in all, the refreshment of the card definitely did good for it, and the card is still a very well rounded card. I would say that this could probably be the best all rounder high-end card. With its good performance in both random and sequential speeds, this card is indeed worthy of being the flagship card. Powered by MLC technology, and a price availability of $75, this is actually, one of the more affordable flagship cards. Whilst rated at only UHS-I Class 1, the performance indicates that it is more than capable to support UHS-I Class 3, and as a new card, this is pretty surprising to us. This card though, is recommended for both mobile or even camera use, and there is no reason to ignore this card, unless of course, you are on a budget.

Read the full review of the new Samsung Pro MicroSD card here!

mmm can i ask if we were to use such high end cards like these, will the bottleneck be at the phone side? Like galaxy s5 etc.?

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
mmm can i ask if we were to use such high end cards like these, will the bottleneck be at the phone side? Like galaxy s5 etc.?

Unfortunately, yes. Simply because most of the highspeeds are powered by the UHS-bus technology which mobiles dont support (or not that I know of).

However, it will still benefit from the random read and write as thats what the system does on a normal operation. Such as indexing, locating writing and reading logs etc. :)

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reviewed: Sony High Speed R95 UHS-3 microSD (64GB) [SR64UX]

RQwY.jpg

Summary:
lcdny.jpg

kGimN.jpg

Overall, we can see that the card does live up to its ratings for pretty much of the time, though falling short of its rated 95MB/s in the read speed. However, clocking in a relative and remarkably almost steady read speed at 80MB/s. Write speed however, tended to fluctuate, though it is consistently writing at above 40MB/s, thus, this is no doubt a UHS-3 capable card. Nonetheless, the card has still performed rather well up to its mark though it would have been nice to have a more constant write speed. Overall, the speeds are as follows:
READ - 81095 KB/s
WRITE - 55019 KB/s

Performance in random read and write is pretty slow clocking less than 1 in most tests. As such, this card is definitely not recommended for mobile use, although for use on computers and camera's, this could be a worthy card to take a look at.

Sony is probably considered to be pretty much the underdog in the memory segment, and with this card being powered with MLC at its*heart, and priced at $ , with*a relatively short warranty of just 5 years, we will leave the comparative value decision open to you.

Check out Sony's full review here!

Last edited:

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reviewed: PNY Turbo Performance High Speed MicroSD (64GB)

sJ72N.jpg

Summary:
RB0S.jpg

Overall, the sequential read speed falls short of the expectations of 90MB/s however, the fact that it is pretty much very stable is a good sign. The write speed is also relatively stable, fluctuating between 41-55MB/s and that is slightly faster than anticipated. Clearly, it has already met the requirements for UHS-3, though it is just rated as UHS-I. On the random speed, that is where is fails to impress. Like many other cards, the random speed is clocking less than 1MB/s in most of the tests and a pretty slow speed at 222 IOPS of write. Nonetheless, the speeds are as follows:

READ – 81129 KB/s
WRITE – 54635KB/s

As mentioned, PNY is a pretty less known brand here in Singapore, so getting your hands on one of this might be slightly tougher than other brands, but at its price tag of about SGD$56, the performance per value is hard to beat. Powered with MLC Nand at its heart and just a meagre one year warranty, using this as a cheap high-speed card for your camera, is a good budget choice, however, if your planning to use this on your phone, that is definitely not recommended.

Model Reviewed: P-SDUX64U190-GE

Read all about it here

Last edited:

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reviewed: SanDisk Extreme microSDXC UHS-3 (64GB) [2014 Edition]

DU6Pf.jpg

Summary:
GeOSZ.jpg

EUIse.jpg

Overall, this card has more than exceeded the minimum rated requirements and has far exceeded our expectations. With one of the fastest, consistent random results and sequential speeds at a rather consistent level, this is one really good card for most purposes. Nonetheless, the speeds are:
READ – 71906 KB/s
WRITE – 52148 KB/s

Despite having a relatively hefty price tag (Local Official Price: $106) and lower reported performance, the card in fact out performs its reported performance and pits itself against the likes of other cards in the same price category. The fact that it has such a good random performance really earns our mark for highly recommended for mobile use. There is no doubt that this card is 4K recording capable as well. Together with the free (albeit 1 year) license key for 2 software (Magisto video editor for mobile, data recovery software), and backed with lifetime warranty, to ignore this card is pretty tough as it is that versatile.

Model Reviewed: SDSDQXN-064G

Get the whole review here

Last edited:

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reviewed: SanDisk Extreme Plus microSDXC UHS-I (64GB) [2014 Edition]

DoJeX.jpg

Summary:
91PWg.jpg

40T1.jpg

Clearly, like the SanDisk Extreme, this card too has more than exceeded the minimum rated requirements and has once again exceeded our expectations. Upping the speed on the consistent random results, and sequential speeds again at a rather consistent level, this is no doubt an excellent card for most purposes. Nonetheless, the speeds are:

READ – 92802 KB/s
WRITE – 60735 KB/s

Backed with lifetime warranty and SanDisk RescuePRO Deluxe license for a year, we don’t know if the additional performance by the card is commandeered by normal end users, but for pro-sumers, every single speed bump is much appreciated. With the a steep local official pricing at SGD$156, that does not mean that we can get one at a much cheaper price elsewhere.

Full Review

Last edited:

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haven't used their microSD, but I bought the full-sized SD card from Strontium before and it performs really well for the price. If I do buy one microSD for my own use perhaps I can lend it to you for testing.

Anyway, so far having used SanDisk Ultra and Samsung EVO the Evo is definitely faster. Unfortunately, I've had the Sandisk Ultra fail on me after 1.5 years, and the Samsung EVO after 2 months (!).

So I guess it's advisable to get a memory card with warranty.

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haven't used their microSD, but I bought the full-sized SD card from Strontium before and it performs really well for the price. If I do buy one microSD for my own use perhaps I can lend it to you for testing.

Anyway, so far having used SanDisk Ultra and Samsung EVO the Evo is definitely faster. Unfortunately, I've had the Sandisk Ultra fail on me after 1.5 years, and the Samsung EVO after 2 months (!).

So I guess it's advisable to get a memory card with warranty.

Hi,

Actually the new Ultra's are faster than Evo :)

I spoke to Strontium, apparently, they are refreshing the line up and will let us know when they do. But I am glad to see our local company's card working well! :D

Streetwise

Reaction score
Unfortunately, yes. Simply because most of the highspeeds are powered by the UHS-bus technology which mobiles dont support (or not that I know of).

However, it will still benefit from the random read and write as thats what the system does on a normal operation. Such as indexing, locating writing and reading logs etc. :)

Love the reviews of the cards u've put up here. Now, I'm trying to wrap my head around the abovementioned statement in relation to current high end phones now having 4k video recording. As u've mentioned in another thread, 4k recording req'd write speed of >30MB/s. Thus, can mobile devices record in 4k if they are not supporting UHS-bus technology??

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello

Sorry for the confusion, well, the truth is I haven't heard of any being certified of being uhs-I, but it doesn't mean that they cannot support the speeds.

Also note that mobile devices mainly utilize random speeds more over the main bus speed (which is the one used for recording constant larger streams)

Now, the only catch here is that I have not used a mobile device to run the review because of:
1) Each device has its own characteristics (I'm looking at Samsung here) when it comes to the cards support
2) Software plays a part in the device
3) The way the differential os handles the file structure etc

The 4K needing 30mb/s is just a benchmark set by the industry, but, it may or may not even require that bandwidth (realistically) as it again, depends on the bitrate of the recording.

Nonetheless, we would not know if the various devices will support the higher performance or trottle it, unless we test them (both card and devices) one by one, or they say they support the ultra high speed bus standard.

Love the reviews of the cards u've put up here. Now, I'm trying to wrap my head around the abovementioned statement in relation to current high end phones now having 4k video recording. As u've mentioned in another thread, 4k recording req'd write speed of >30MB/s. Thus, can mobile devices record in 4k if they are not supporting UHS-bus technology??

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Actually the new Ultra's are faster than Evo :)

I spoke to Strontium, apparently, they are refreshing the line up and will let us know when they do. But I am glad to see our local company's card working well! :D
Hmm how do you tell the new vs old Ultra? I RMAed it two months ago... Any chance I got the new one? Haha

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm how do you tell the new vs old Ultra? I RMAed it two months ago... Any chance I got the new one? Haha

Hi

Refer to my review. There's slight differences. But as I understand from SanDisk & vector, chances are quite low as they still have the old one and will change whichever that came in for rma

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.