HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Troubleshooting faulty rig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2018, 04:00 PM   #1

Troubleshooting faulty rig

Hi guys, want to seek advice with regards to which part of my rig is causing problems.

I've went on exchange for half a year so I didn't turn on my rig during that period. When I came back, I could turn my rig on and even browse/game for about 4-5 hours, then I went for dinner and came back. My rig then only could boot to the bios and my storage HDD was missing from the list of drives in the bios (I have 1 boot ssd, 1 storage hdd). Then when I restarted, my ssd also disappeared lol...

I've confirmed that the HDD is indeed a gone case and thought that the HDD was the problem. I've even tried to plug it into my friend's rig which has the exact same parts and his windows gave an error message as well. My boot ssd was wiped somehow but still usable when I tried using it with my laptop.

I then ordered a new SSD and plugged it into my mobo, and had the same problem, it wasn't detected. But I tried putting it into my laptop and it could be detected/initialized. So the new SSD wasn't faulty.

Does this mean that the problem lies with the motherboard/SATA controller in the mobo? I don't think there's an issue with the cpu/ram/psu etc. since I have no problems booting and it's just the issue of detecting my drives.

Is there a way to fix the SATA controller? Or should I just give up and try to order a new motherboard? My mobo model is ASUS Z87-PRO btw, if I order a new Z87 board does anyone know where to get a functioning one for cheap? Thanks a lot
xDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.