HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

VR Gaming Headsets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #1

VR Gaming Headsets

With the mainstream of VR ready cards, majority of the users here have at least a GTX 9X/10X series which are way more sufficient for 4K gaming, but it seems like the products have yet to be available in Singapore, other than the HTC Vive. Has anyone took the plunge or intending to import any of the VR headsets?

Namely, the bigger names for now includes the HTC VIVE/VIVE PRO, Oculus Rift, WMR (Samsung Odyssey, Acer, HP)

Last edited by BlackEarth91; 14-07-2018 at 11:36 AM..
BlackEarth91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

Waste of monies on an expensive Paper Weight?
VR still have a long way to go.
Entry Level PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 12:05 PM   #3

Waste of monies on an expensive Paper Weight?
VR still have a long way to go.
Fair enough, currently VR is 1st gen and haven't matured yet. At the current state, they allow room scale tracking and have reasonable resolution AMOLED displays. But comparing the prices of current consoles and the oculus rift, they are about the same cost at 399USD. For the higher level of immersion for gaming, I wouldn't call that a paperweight
Old 14-07-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Fair enough, currently VR is 1st gen and haven't matured yet. At the current state, they allow room scale tracking and have reasonable resolution AMOLED displays. But comparing the prices of current consoles and the oculus rift, they are about the same cost at 399USD. For the higher level of immersion for gaming, I wouldn't call that a paperweight
An Expensive Paperweight.
Until they remove the screen door effect effect and lessen the weight,
VR is not going to take off.
Entry Level PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #5

I have a first gen vive. VR certainly not for everyone especially those prone to motion sickness.

Besides being already expensive on its own, you'll still need a strong PC and a big enough play area to fully utilise it.

Yes, it is definitely a more immersive way to play games but graphical detail is a huge step back as most games either have cartoonish visuals or early 2000 standard of graphics.

Videos of the games being played on VR on YouTube isn't what you see in the headset. Pixels are noticeable since the resolution inside the headset isn't high enough and can be an eyesore to see blurry text and imagery.

Right now my headset is just collecting dust since I'm bored of it already. VR still has a long way to go before becoming mainstream.

Weight is a huge issue too. It's so heavy on your head making the whole experience tiring after a while.

Last edited by Psychedelic Senses; 14-07-2018 at 01:13 PM..
Processor
Intel Core i5 3570K + Corsair H80i
Mainboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
Graphics Card
MSi GTX 980 Gaming 4G
Memory
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600mhz CL9 (8X2)
Display
Dell U2312HM
Storage
Plextor M5S 128GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Storage
Samsung 24x DVD Rewriter
Casing
CM Storm Enforcer
PSU
Corsair TX750M
OS
Windows 7 64bit

Psychedelic Senses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 01:21 PM   #6

An Expensive Paperweight.
Until they remove the screen door effect effect and lessen the weight,
VR is not going to take off.
I have a first gen vive. VR certainly not for everyone especially those prone to motion sickness.

Besides being already expensive on its own, you'll still need a strong PC and a big enough play area to fully utilise it.

Yes, it is definitely a more immersive way to play games but graphical detail is a huge step back as most games either have cartoonish visuals or early 2000 standard of graphics.

Videos of the games being played on VR on YouTube isn't what you see in the headset. Pixels are noticeable since the resolution inside the headset isn't high enough and can be an eyesore to see blurry text and imagery.

Right now my headset is just collecting dust since I'm bored of it already. VR still has a long way to go before becoming mainstream.

Weight is a huge issue too. It's so heavy on your head making the whole experience tiring after a while.
Thanks for your insights, I suppose until they fix all these problems and improve on the visuals like how they did for the VIVE PRO and Samsung Odyssey, it will take quite a while before they hit mainstream in Singapore

Sent from the moon using GAGT
Old 14-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #7

the Vive pro supposedly fixes the screendoor effect with the increase in resolution but the pricing will definitely put people off. $1299 alone for the headset and another $750 for the controllers and base stations, not including shipping. Way too damn expensive.

Last edited by Psychedelic Senses; 14-07-2018 at 01:52 PM..
Processor
Intel Core i5 3570K + Corsair H80i
Mainboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
Graphics Card
MSi GTX 980 Gaming 4G
Memory
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600mhz CL9 (8X2)
Display
Dell U2312HM
Storage
Plextor M5S 128GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Storage
Samsung 24x DVD Rewriter
Casing
CM Storm Enforcer
PSU
Corsair TX750M
OS
Windows 7 64bit

Psychedelic Senses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #8

the Vive pro supposedly fixes the screendoor effect with the increase in resolution but the pricing will definitely put people off. $1299 alone for the headset and another $750 for the controllers and base stations, not including shipping. Way too damn expensive.
Vive pro is definitely out of most people's reach, the room scale tracking also may not be relevant in our sense, since our confined pigeonhole spaces is so restricted.

Looking at the odyssey, on top of the same visual quality with the vive pro. Its more viable since it does not require light houses, only if one is into simulations or prefer playing seated. But WMRs has complaints of poor tracking and compatibility
Old 14-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #9
Master Member

the screen door effect is not very noticeable for the high end headsets, vive and rift. never tried MR headsets, idk, imo they are more portable but crappy, tracking is inferior. Vive is my default living room exercise vr headset. rift is my default computer room cockpit sim headset.
kreja is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.