Worthy to wait for Comet Lake?

converse2010

Reaction score
Hi guys, my 2600K Sandy bridge rig has kaput.

Need some opinion, shall I just wait for the 10th Gen Comet Lake or just get the current Coffee Lake? Since it's a few months away from the release, I hope.

P.S. don't feel like getting AMD thou. :o

pikoman

Reaction score
Now is sales period. You look like a guy that doesn't need much as in bleeding-edge technology (Since you keep your 2600k for so long). Get coffee lake now when it is on sales if you can find it on a deal. Get it cheap now, next year 10th gen would likely be another 14nm refresh looking at the rate intel is going.

Gaminator

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
next year also 14nm? if its true it means we have been stagnant for long
Next year should be 14+++++++++....dunno if I'd put enough pluses anot.=:p :D

At TS, why stick with Intel when AMD offers so much more in term of value? I'd understand if, say, you have a recent Intel mobo that's compatible with upcoming 10th gen Intel CPU, then by all means wait....since you basically have to buy a whole new rig, might as well go AMD.

pikoman

Reaction score
Next year should be 14+++++++++....dunno if I'd put enough pluses anot.=:p :D

At TS, why stick with Intel when AMD offers so much more in term of value? I'd understand if, say, you have a recent Intel mobo that's compatible with upcoming 10th gen Intel CPU, then by all means wait....since you basically have to buy a whole new rig, might as well go AMD.

Based on many leaks z390 won't be compatible with 10th gen intel. They are changing socket again. Basically you need to buy a new motherboard and CPU. I don't know about cooler compatibility. Also, he has his reasons not to go AMD, lets keep it as that. He could do some research to find out what is suited for him. Intel currently has only a shrinking edge in gaming (only in 1080p and 5 to 10 frame depending on games in 1440p) and adobe photoshop. That's pretty much it.

*side note intel is also facing production issues. If your hands not fast enough you may only get the latest intel months after launch. By the time then the competition may have release their product.

Last edited:

converse2010

Reaction score
True that, I don’t need cutting edge technology. Just perhaps a latest combo to last another 5 years or more. :o

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mind you next year Intel's gonna celebrate 6th anniversary of 14nm fab liao hor. You don't need cutting edge but you also wouldn't want something that is still on half decade old transistor size tech right?

haylui

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can directly get AMD liao. If your apps are not Intel only

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my 2600K Sandy bridge rig has kaput.

Need some opinion, shall I just wait for the 10th Gen Comet Lake or just get the current Coffee Lake? Since it's a few months away from the release, I hope.

P.S. don't feel like getting AMD thou. :o

Just get the current Coffee Lake since there wouldn't be much difference, just another incremental update.

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
You can consider the current AMD ryzen 5 3600.

Or if you can find a good deal for last yr AMD ryzen 7 2700.

Both have no issue lasting you 5 yrs. Or if you have a bit to spend, get the current 3700 or 3800/3900.

If you insist on intel and you can't wait, just get a 9900K, it's still pretty fast.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.