HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Surge Protector

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2015, 09:20 AM   #151

hi guys any tower power surge to recommend?
My advice would be, don't easily believe those surge protectors with wordings but no info on their surge suppressing capabilities. Bought a few extension systems of various brands, all comes with the wordings Surge Protector/Protected, even the box mentioned so, but guess what?

Nothing more than a stupid fuse at the main plug.

I see at Qoo10 SG has a few seller selling them and claiming they have surge protection. Since 2014, waiting for them to reply on the product surge protection ratings.

And yes, I am using the following at home:
http://www.belkin.com/sg/IWCatProduc...duct_Id=657507
http://www.belkin.com/sg/IWCatProduc...duct_Id=657518
http://www.belkin.com/sg/IWCatProduc...duct_Id=508252

So far so good, even my fridge is on the Gold series.
Except it gets a bit warm when powered on around the LEDs area.
triobrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:16 PM   #152

Almost nothing posted requires engineering training. Knowledge here has be "laymanized". Your first concern is to connect lightning to earth before it can strike the structure. Your building must have lightning rods. But remember, lightning rods, like protectors, do not do protection. Rods are only connecting devices to what does that protection. How well are those lightning rods earthed? Inspection is strongly encouraged.

A lightning strike earthed by a lightning rod does not pass through cameras. Protection is never about stopping or blocking a surge. Protection is always about the many times more conductive path to earth. All this was originally introduced in primary school science.

Only you can determine if a 'whole house' protector exists where AC power enters - and within meters of the utility 'single point earth ground'. However if the building is concrete and steel, then that single point ground may be in the power board for your flat. Those steel I-beams and floor concrete are excellent earth ground.

But this you must understand. Every utility (AC power, cable TV, telephone) must enter that flat to make an earth connection at the same point.

'Whole house' protector for AC mains comes from companies with better integrity. Including Novaris, Keison, Clipsal, Polyphaser, ABB, and Siemens to name but a few. Manufacturers also make other electrical equipment including circuit breakers in power board, connectors, and that box. Your 'whole house' protector must also meet local electrical safety standards. Some big box hardware stores carry them. Electrical supply houses (where electricians buy them) also do. Try pricing them in 'brick and mortar' houses out as well as do Internet searches.

Obtaining a protector is simple science. 50,000 amps defines its life expectancy over many surges. How it connects to earth defines protection with each surge. A connection from protector to 'single point ground' must be low impedance (ie 'less than 3 meters, no sharp wire bends, not inside metallic conduit, separated from other non-grounding wires). This last sentence discusses the 'art'.

Engineers, commercial broadcasters, and ham operators might understand technical reasons for it. Electricians often do not. Only better informed electricians would understand that earthing and how that hardwire is routed is critically important. Earthing must both meet and exceed safety code requirements.

Using DC instead of AC makes no difference. Even Wifi must have AC power (even if that is converted to DC). A power supply that converts AC to DC is nothing more than another wire to a surge. Destructive surges routinely increase voltage as necessary to blow through anything that might stop it. Never try to block or stop a surge. Always give it a best connection to earth. Then superior protection already inside appliances (and cameras) is not overwhelmed.

Better is to route wires down under eves. A DC wire at the top of a roof, to lightning, is a best connection to earth. That wire should also be at least one half meter away from any wire that makes a lightning connection to earth. If wires are adjacent, they are all but connected together - according to lightning that cannot be stopped by 3 kilometers of sky.

Inspect or earth lightning rods. Then inspect every incoming wire inside every cable for either a direct hardwire connection or a 'whole house' protector connection to single point earth ground. Most all attention (for lightning rods or protector) should focus on the 'art'. What harmlessly absorbs hundreds of thousands of joules. Earth ground.
Hi Westom, thanks so much for your advice! I gonna get a electrician to install a whole house surge protector
Geraldtan88888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #153

Almost nothing posted requires engineering training. Knowledge here has be "laymanized". Your first concern is to connect lightning to earth before it can strike the structure. Your building must have lightning rods. But remember, lightning rods, like protectors, do not do protection. Rods are only connecting devices to what does that protection. How well are those lightning rods earthed? Inspection is strongly encouraged.

A lightning strike earthed by a lightning rod does not pass through cameras. Protection is never about stopping or blocking a surge. Protection is always about the many times more conductive path to earth. All this was originally introduced in primary school science.

Only you can determine if a 'whole house' protector exists where AC power enters - and within meters of the utility 'single point earth ground'. However if the building is concrete and steel, then that single point ground may be in the power board for your flat. Those steel I-beams and floor concrete are excellent earth ground.

But this you must understand. Every utility (AC power, cable TV, telephone) must enter that flat to make an earth connection at the same point.

'Whole house' protector for AC mains comes from companies with better integrity. Including Novaris, Keison, Clipsal, Polyphaser, ABB, and Siemens to name but a few. Manufacturers also make other electrical equipment including circuit breakers in power board, connectors, and that box. Your 'whole house' protector must also meet local electrical safety standards. Some big box hardware stores carry them. Electrical supply houses (where electricians buy them) also do. Try pricing them in 'brick and mortar' houses out as well as do Internet searches.

Obtaining a protector is simple science. 50,000 amps defines its life expectancy over many surges. How it connects to earth defines protection with each surge. A connection from protector to 'single point ground' must be low impedance (ie 'less than 3 meters, no sharp wire bends, not inside metallic conduit, separated from other non-grounding wires). This last sentence discusses the 'art'.

Engineers, commercial broadcasters, and ham operators might understand technical reasons for it. Electricians often do not. Only better informed electricians would understand that earthing and how that hardwire is routed is critically important. Earthing must both meet and exceed safety code requirements.

Using DC instead of AC makes no difference. Even Wifi must have AC power (even if that is converted to DC). A power supply that converts AC to DC is nothing more than another wire to a surge. Destructive surges routinely increase voltage as necessary to blow through anything that might stop it. Never try to block or stop a surge. Always give it a best connection to earth. Then superior protection already inside appliances (and cameras) is not overwhelmed.

Better is to route wires down under eves. A DC wire at the top of a roof, to lightning, is a best connection to earth. That wire should also be at least one half meter away from any wire that makes a lightning connection to earth. If wires are adjacent, they are all but connected together - according to lightning that cannot be stopped by 3 kilometers of sky.

Inspect or earth lightning rods. Then inspect every incoming wire inside every cable for either a direct hardwire connection or a 'whole house' protector connection to single point earth ground. Most all attention (for lightning rods or protector) should focus on the 'art'. What harmlessly absorbs hundreds of thousands of joules. Earth ground.
Thanks Westom!

Never knew there were surge protection for whole house before.

I'll get a electrician to install a main surge protector for my machine shop first. Too much at stake to risk not protecting.
teammech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 12:34 PM   #154
High Supremacy Member

just order a targus surge protector for my tv and modems and router... good?? been using belkin for my pc so far so good
Nakedtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 07:40 PM   #155

just order a targus surge protector for my tv and modems and router... good?? been using belkin for my pc so far so good
How often were surge damaged dishwasher, clocks, recharging electronics, dimmer switches, refrigerator, central air, etc replaced? Using your reasoning, then all those (not on protectors) were simultaneously damaged. Or did you put them on invisible surge protectors?

That Belkin did absolutely nothing. That proves it provided protection? Cherry picking eliminates facts that contradicts your conclusion. Also called a junk science conclusion. Where is this surge that a Belkin protected from?

Belkin and Targus do not claim to protect from surges that can damage appliances. Belkin did nothing. That proves is did something? How?
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #156

buy those audiophile type of surge protector (far superior to those sold at computer stores)..............can improve picture and sound quality too...........

i got one (10 year old liao)..........never used (new old stock).........$800+ when i bought it.........anyone wanna buy ?

has digital and analogue outlets..................using American plugs
napoleon bohlumpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.