HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Surge Protector

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2019, 09:40 AM   #181

Anyone here can recommend a good electrician for installing a whole house surge protector?
leongni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #182
Arch-Supremacy Member

Solve my long term problem whenever changing ceiling fan speed, off/on Heater switch or even open fridge door will cause my PC USB TV Tuner and USB HDMI Capture to freeze
After getting this (suppose to protect surge and spikes) and connect the 8 ways power extension to it, so far no more problem.

Since seeing this thread again and let me update on my problem.
The power surge protector still did not solve my problem, ie whenever my mom doing the washing machine work, my USB HDMI Capture still freeze
Read about Ferrite beads help reduce EMI/RFI and happen to found two pieces in my office.

Clip-on one of this onto the USB HDMI capture cable and for months the live video from the USB HDMI Capture box never freeze any more don't care open/close fridge door, changing ceiling fan speed or washing machine doing the spinning process
cybertech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:02 PM   #183

My family uses surge protector from schneider electric singapore can consider la just Idk about price
dino-dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:51 AM   #184

Anyone here can recommend a good electrician for installing a whole house surge protector?
Use a simple rule to identify the electrician that knows his stuff. He knows that no protector does protection. And that a protector is only effective when connected low impedance (ie less than 3 meters, hardwire has no splices, no sharp wire bends, etc) to what does all protection - earth ground.

Earth ground is an electrode in earth. Wall receptacles safety ground is not earth ground. Only better electricians know that. And understand why a protector is only as effective as its earth ground.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:08 AM   #185

The power surge protector still did not solve my problem, ie whenever my mom doing the washing machine work, my USB HDMI Capture still freeze
Tiny spikes from a washer, ceiling fan, and fridge switch are not surges. How do any create a voltage that well exceeds 500 volts? They don't.

Defined is noise. Typically only a few tens of volts or less. Something is apparently wrong inside a PC USB TV Tuner (or some connected part) since noise (or even 500 volt spikes) must be made irrelevant by its power supply. Apparently even a tiny filter in that Soundtech adapter (that would be inferior to what must be inside all electronics) is doing more. Apparently what must exist is missing.

Power protector would ignore any spike below its let-through voltage (ie 500 volts). Surges are voltages that high - can cause damage. Noise is ignored by protectors since it does not do damage; is only an irritation; must already have been made irrelevant. Noise is eliminated by filters that must be inside all electronics or further reduced by series mode filters.

It cured a symptom. It did not fix a defect.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.