Wireless IP Camera thread

pilotsnoopy

Reaction score
Vstarcam went offline after a year plus. Looking at getting a new ptz camera to replace it, use it mainly for monitoring helper at home. Preferably camera has:
- a long power supply to allow me to place it at central location at home.
- compatible with Synology Surveillance

Considering the DCS-5020L, any other recommendations?

Dlink is great with synology. Usually i can playback with ease with the one Dlink Fisheye I have recording by 214+. But it conked out on me after 6 months, exchanged within warranty. Due to nature of the Dlink fish eye you can open up and see its all cheap parts.

If I had a choice and have the budget think the Panasonics are a good bet, many of mine have been in use for at least 5 years. 2 sets even 10years.

pilotsnoopy

Reaction score
i'm looking to get 2-3 units to monitor my kids and helper.

- wireless
- wide angle
- budget of <$150 per unit
- preferably plug and play (im a networking noobie)

seems that vstarcam is recommended here. which model should i be considering?

Samsung techwin, very plug and play but above your budget at about 249

Last edited:

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
i'm looking to get 2-3 units to monitor my kids and helper.

- wireless
- wide angle
- budget of <$150 per unit
- preferably plug and play (im a networking noobie)

seems that vstarcam is recommended here. which model should i be considering?

C7835WIP or C7838WIP, these r with onvif

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
DLink products r branding which we r paying for its support n services like 1 to 1 exchange. So pricing still justifiable

tech_oasis

Reaction score
add
Dlink is great with synology. Usually i can playback with ease with the one Dlink Fisheye I have recording by 214+. But it conked out on me after 6 months, exchanged within warranty. Due to nature of the Dlink fish eye you can open up and see its all cheap parts.

If I had a choice and have the budget think the Panasonics are a good bet, many of mine have been in use for at least 5 years. 2 sets even 10years.

Took a look a ptz panasonic ip camera cost almost twice as much. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BL-C131A-Network-Camera-Wireless/dp/B000NVR9SM
Seriously considering which one to get at the moment but wonder if it is possible to mount on ceiling, iit seems to be designed for standing purpose.

Previous Foscam ip cameras were the 'in' thing. noticed less recommendations. Just wondering how is it compared to dlink seems both are priced about the same.

Last edited:

pilotsnoopy

Reaction score
add

Took a look a ptz panasonic ip camera cost almost twice as much. Amazon.com: Panasonic BL-C131A Network Camera Wireless 802.11: Electronics
Seriously considering which one to get at the moment but wonder if it is possible to mount on ceiling, iit seems to be designed for standing purpose.

Previous Foscam ip cameras were the 'in' thing. noticed less recommendations. Just wondering how is it compared to dlink seems both are priced about the same.

the C131 is a very old but reliable model, the optics however have not been updated and its very costly compared to other brands, if just for home use I will recommend the Samsung if you are ok with sd card recording or D-Link if you want to link to Synology NAS type. No offence to the other brands mentioned here, just that I have never been attracted to try them.

Panasonic for me now is more of a retail/industrial use because of the guaranteed support in a lot of NVR/DVR/Analytics(missing item, suspicious item, facial recognition)

Last edited:

totalpet_2

Reaction score
Any Wireless IP camera that can insert SIM card. As my grandparents house dont have internet. Thanks

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
No support & warranty from factory. Cos goods are not supply by MARIX as I am aware of. No point saving only peanuts going for parallel importers unless saving is SGD30 or more honestly.

but i saw its from Marix.

universe

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need recommendation for IP cameras. requirements are as below:
1) able to work with synology. compatible with surveillance station is a plus
2) POE enabled. laid LAN points to the locations but did not cater for power as intending to get POE enabled solution
3) need a total of 3 IP cameras
a) door cam: outdoor installed on ceiling between hdb main gate and main door. PTZ preferred
b) living room cam: required to cover living room. preferabled fisheye or ultra wide
c) bedroom cam: required to cover whole bedroom (est LxWxH 5m x 3m x 2.7m)

for c), currently inclined towards trendnet IP311PI with H/V/D FOV of 70/52/89 degrees but can't find out if it is sold locally in singapore. will a FOV of 70/52/89 sufficient? any good links to read on how to compute the required FOV?

Discerning

Reaction score
Hikvision IP Camera and EZVIZ

I am interested to learn if anyone actually used Hikvision, specifically their POE enabled IP cameras and NVR, and connection to their EZVIZ consumer platform.

It's a long shot since I noticed Hikvision is not mentioned much here even though it is a widely deployed IP cameras (perhaps more through system integrators) - but with their consumer device and platform EZVIZ, I am trying out at this moment, and like to share but also asked specifically if anyone managed to get connection to their EZVIZ cloud platform.

Cheers.

[I can't post any pictures of the cameras I bought and will buy due to restrictions as a newbie on this forum]

ipaq4444

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can check with the expert here, does the dlink cameraand foscam require 230v socket?
or must it be power by poe?

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
hikvision is kinda confused. u find their consumer product sold @ taobao but not listed on website. strange strategy.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
but i saw its from Marix.

i saw also, according to MARIX, someone from lazada posted on their behalf but they (MARIX) did not approved the setup yet. but i saw a christmas promo going on. pricing lower than parallel importers.

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
can check with the expert here, does the dlink cameraand foscam require 230v socket?
or must it be power by poe?

It depends on the models. Both Dlink and Foscam have PoE models (and hence won't be wireless) as well as wireless models. Check out their respective websites.

Discerning

Reaction score
Could it be because this thread is focusing on wireless IP cameras?

I already have their mini-dome IP/POE cameras and NVR and plan to get the their wireless IP cameras - either 3MP or 1.3MP POE:

- 3MP DS-2CD2432F-I (W)
- 1.3MP DS-2CD2412F-I (W)

Youtube and google would show some reviews - thought they are pretty decent.

Discerning

Reaction score
hikvision is kinda confused. u find their consumer product sold @ taobao but not listed on website. strange strategy.

Their consumer versions seems to be branded under the ezviz / ys7 platform and for china, (since I can't paste link being a newbie), google for "ys7 hikvision".

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.