HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Wireless IP Camera thread

Like Tree469Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-03-2014, 10:40 PM   #2101
Master Member

Hi,

I'm a newbie to IP cam but intended to get a few pcs for my house to monitor kids/maid/etc...

Not sure which brand/model is cheap and good now.

Maybe the expert here can give me a few website and brand/model to look at.

Quite confuse regarding Vstarcam and MARIX. Google and saw VSTARCAM by MArix. So who should i approach?

Lastly, how is Foscam? Heard this brand is quite popular among motherhood forum

thanks in advance!
Marix is the sole distributor for brand Vstarcam. So just look for them will do if u want vstarcam. Not confusing at all. Foscam is popular there as foscam have been advertising there for a very long time. And the seller offers his service very cheaply. Only recently did foscam starts embracing p2p technology. So they are quite a late entry as a pioneer in ip camera.
geckoSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #2102
Master Member

Hi

Does you guys off the IP camera before you go sleep and turn it on the next day to save electricity? Since that all sleeping and no one will be monitoring. Keep on/off will spoilt the camera anot?
I personally wont off the camera. Cos i do recording. Constant on/off will corrupt my microsd cards' recording. From my experience with foscam, easyn and vstarcam. So now, i just leave it on all the way.
Old 18-03-2014, 01:10 AM   #2103

Marix is the sole distributor for brand Vstarcam. So just look for them will do if u want vstarcam. Not confusing at all. Foscam is popular there as foscam have been advertising there for a very long time. And the seller offers his service very cheaply. Only recently did foscam starts embracing p2p technology. So they are quite a late entry as a pioneer in ip camera.

Hmm so foscam is OK? I check on the video resolution is not good. Any other camera with better quality?
goodspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #2104
Master Member

Which video quality is not good? So far most of Hd cameras gave good resolution in the market, and marix's demo r offline for weeks. U need to call them to see it online

Last edited by geckoSG; 18-03-2014 at 08:29 AM..
Old 18-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #2105
Supremacy Member

What is p2p technology?

So does Vstarcam have this technology as well? Kindly advise.
Okane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #2106

hi all,

understand Foscam is very popular in this thread.

it is sufficient for home use...

but why isn't anyone talking about Panasonic? for more than home use?

too expensive?
pilotsnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #2107
Supremacy Member

Hi GekoSg,

Do you know what is the differences between T7835WIP & T7837WIP?

I realize the night vision is slightly different, but do not understand what does "Built in IRCUT,no color cast in day,clearer images at night" means?

Basically, which one is better?
Okane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #2108
Master Member

Looking at specs. Both are the same hardware. But diff casing only. Not surprised.

Ir cut filter means it filters out the ultra violet ray from the sun ray. N vstarcam web site claims to use dual filter. So night wise the white wash from ir leds will notb too strong to create a washed out white area bah.
Old 18-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #2109
Master Member

What is p2p technology?

So does Vstarcam have this technology as well? Kindly advise.
Yes. They started this trend with a few manufacturer.

Last edited by geckoSG; 18-03-2014 at 01:47 PM..
Old 18-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #2110

Hi

Does you guys off the IP camera before you go sleep and turn it on the next day to save electricity? Since that all sleeping and no one will be monitoring. Keep on/off will spoilt the camera anot?
It's runing at 5V and about 0.5A. Better to turn off the aircon or water heater to save electricity.
Fuzzywuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 11:18 PM   #2111

p2p stands for peer to peer. From camera straight to your PC or phone. Does not need to go throught server. It is the faster to stream video this way. Another way is to stream to a remote server and the PC or phone access the server. This is a slow method that does away with port forwarding is useful in complicated network system where the client has to pass through many layers before reaching the WAN.
Fuzzywuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 11:49 PM   #2112

Replacement IP Cam

Hello, the Foscam FI8918 which i bought from Marix 2.5 years ago kaput already.... wanted to get a replacement unit... but just realise that Marix no longer carries Foscam.... ... I am very satisfied with Foscam and works perfectly on my mobile phone and various monitoring stations.

Seems like most cameras nowadays are H.264 format.... Can I find out if I switch to Vstarcam or Foscam FI8910W... can it work with my Android app tinyCam Monitor? Just realise that Vstarcam is not listed in the app but not sure can access via those generic paths? Prefer not to install another proprietary app since I have another 2 x FI8918....

Can the H.264 footage be streamed using the generic URLs such as /videostream.cgi or /videostream.asf? Currently, I am using /videostream.cgi to save the footage onto my Synology NAS and using /videostream.asf to hear audio on VLC... Can the new camera work with this?

Does Marix offers some discount for a returning customer?
medscy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #2113
Master Member

Medscy... ur best bet is to call them. Lolz
Old 19-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #2114
Master Member

Anyone can recommend a cam that matches my requirement?
- Wide angle
- Very clear capture
- Supports card recording
- motion detection for recording but still can view live (not sure if there is such function)
- Wired (wireless function is a bonus for backup)
- Supports audio capture and audio out
- Night vision (optional)

Going to put this in my hall.

Last edited by RobbieFowler; 19-03-2014 at 01:20 PM..
RobbieFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #2115
PAP

Problem connecting to camera from smartphone

Hi all,

Having a problem here which I hope the experts here can help.

I recently upgraded to StarHub fibre and switched my router to the new one given by them.

I used to be able to connect to my camera through my smartphone on 4G network but with the new router, I can't'. Strange thing is that I am still able to connect to my camera from my workplace laptop. I just can't connect via mobile network. If I connect my smartphone to my home WIFI, I am able to connect to the cameras.

Does anyone here know what I am missing? It will seem that it's due to some setting in my new router?

Thanks!
PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.