Wireless IP Camera thread

alexlau

Reaction score
anyone using wide angle lens for the vstarcam C series?

I was using the a wide angle lens for the old H6837WIP camera, which is like 120 degree or even more. But seems the new C series use a larger diameter lens, and the one marix provides is only 90 degree.

And anyone selling a IP camera? I just need one for a dead corner.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
I think they have 150 degree lens. btw, how big the angle depends on your lens size and cmos sensors.

VStarcam is using 1/4 720p Progressive CMOS sensor, so you get 90 instead of the len's 120degree on their camera.

I did see they used to have the 150 degree lens. Ard $15 each.

linxiaobei

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have random disconnections on my newly bought Vstarcam T7838WIP - C Edition.

It just shows that the camera is offline and I need to do a power cycle in order to get the camera back online.

I'm using:
1. Singnet - Aztech 7000GRV (S)
2. Eye4 Software
3. Camera firmware version : 48.50.64.57;EN50. 12. 1. 10

linxiaobei

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can I look at the recordings on my SD card without manually plugging out the card and read it off my laptop?

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
I have random disconnections on my newly bought Vstarcam T7838WIP - C Edition.

It just shows that the camera is offline and I need to do a power cycle in order to get the camera back online.

I'm using:
1. Singnet - Aztech 7000GRV (S)
2. Eye4 Software
3. Camera firmware version : 48.50.64.57;EN50. 12. 1. 10

that's why i said many times skip vstarcam. It sucks.

Can I look at the recordings on my SD card without manually plugging out the card and read it off my laptop?

Yes. Use the software.
1. eye4
2. vstarcam

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
eye4 software not good. still buggy, i normally use vscam from cd.gocam.so instead. btw, .57 seems to have recording bug tat reboots camera if you have microsd card in it. u need to upgrade firmware.

of cos, check ur wifi setting also, if router is mixed mode wifi, you will see frequent disconnection on its own when ur router switches between AES n TKIP as it only saves one mode in its configuration file. i use WPA2-PSK, AES encrpytion on 20mhz bandwidth, had never got disconnection issue unless my asus wifi hangs

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
i m testing the wide angle lens n extra wide from marix. so its ard 90 n 110 degree diagonally, not bad viewing angle.

linxiaobei

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
eye4 software not good. still buggy, i normally use vscam from cd.gocam.so instead. btw, .57 seems to have recording bug tat reboots camera if you have microsd card in it. u need to upgrade firmware.

of cos, check ur wifi setting also, if router is mixed mode wifi, you will see frequent disconnection on its own when ur router switches between AES n TKIP as it only saves one mode in its configuration file. i use WPA2-PSK, AES encrpytion on 20mhz bandwidth, had never got disconnection issue unless my asus wifi hangs

But it happens even without microsd card in it.

I have upgraded my firmware, fixed IP and DNS server already too. But the problem still persists.

Maybe I'll try your solution of changing the encryption method on my modem/router and see how it goes.

linxiaobei

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i m testing the wide angle lens n extra wide from marix. so its ard 90 n 110 degree diagonally, not bad viewing angle.

How did you manage to buy the wide angle lens? I saw that it is out of stock for both. It is around $15 each right?

Does it have the fisheye effect/visual distortion?

molecule

Reaction score
But it happens even without microsd card in it.

I have upgraded my firmware, fixed IP and DNS server already too. But the problem still persists.

Maybe I'll try your solution of changing the encryption method on my modem/router and see how it goes.

I've had the same disconnect w vstarcam. Like u I've tried everything thinking it was this problem or that, also thinking faulty cam but it happens to 3 cams even if I try them each. The reconnection on reboot is very misleading coz u think it is working.

In the end I believe it does have something to do wif either their firmware or WiFi module. My Vstarcam needs to have strong WiFi signal, can't be too far from the WiFi point. Within a room maybe, beyond that gets flaky. If u don't believe try putting it next to router, set WiFi N only, WPA2 AES-PSK security. See if it disconnects after say x time. Then slowly move it farther.

If u have multiple access points, be careful which it locks onto. If the farther one, flaky again. Disconnect randomly kicks in.

I have other brands of ipcam, some cheaper. No such problems with WiFi whatsoever. So in summary make sure yr vstarcam gets good signal strength and u should see the disconnect problems go away. In the end I almost gave up, now I have more access points near the ipcams so far perfect 24x7.

linxiaobei

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have tried changing the encryption mode on my modem/router but the camera going offline issue is still there.

molecule

Reaction score
Also change on the cam. Keep it near the WiFi source see if disconnects. Remember make sure it connects to the nearby WiFi source if u hv more than 1 AP.

Another check. Ping the static IP of the cam, see if any packets drop or slow ms response. If WiFi is weak u will see dropped packets or long response. Seems like vstarcam doesn't handle this very well

Last edited:

linxiaobei

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Also change on the cam. Keep it near the WiFi source see if disconnects. Remember make sure it connects to the nearby WiFi source if u hv more than 1 AP.

Another check. Ping the static IP of the cam, see if any packets drop or slow ms response. If WiFi is weak u will see dropped packets or long response. Seems like vstarcam doesn't handle this very well

The camera is not more than 2 meters away from the router though.

I have pinged the camera's address for 100 times. Zero packet losses.

Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 125ms, Average = 5ms.

I have only 1 router for the camera to connect to it, so I don't think that should be an issue.

Which issue do you mean by vstarcam don't handle it well? The wifi connection?

Edit: I have pinged my camera's address for the third time 100 times.

Minimum 2ms, Maximum = 266ms, Average = 13ms with zero packet loss.

Last edited:

molecule

Reaction score
ok, can't help you more than that, my disconnects are 100% directly correlated to the distance and signal strength of the wifi, to the point where I can move the access point between cams and see the stability rising/dropping among different cams. Once a cam loses connectivity and disconnects, pings show lots of dropped packets and can't come back online even if I move the access point nearer, only a restart reconnects it again.

For yours it seems like you lose video connection yet you can ping the cam with good response. Likely a different problem.

linxiaobei

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok, can't help you more than that, my disconnects are 100% directly correlated to the distance and signal strength of the wifi, to the point where I can move the access point between cams and see the stability rising/dropping among different cams. Once a cam loses connectivity and disconnects, pings show lots of dropped packets and can't come back online even if I move the access point nearer, only a restart reconnects it again.

For yours it seems like you lose video connection yet you can ping the cam with good response. Likely a different problem.

No no. I pinged my camera while it is working. I didn't try it when it shows that it is offline yet. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Maybe I'll try it again, otherwise I'll bring it down from where I bought it for an exchange.

Thanks!

linxiaobei

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have tried pinging when my camera went offline.

It shows another ip address though....no idea what happened but Destination host unreachable with no packet loss.

molecule

Reaction score
I have tried pinging when my camera went offline.

It shows another ip address though....no idea what happened but Destination host unreachable with no packet loss.

OK that's normal. I believe that other IP address u see is your own PC IP address followed by destination host unreachable. Usually in this case the connection has dropped and a ipcam restart is needed right?

Somewhere the WiFi dropped and can't reestablish the connection, try out different wifi settings? Again I've not seen this for other cams which either display choppy video or comes back online when wifi is reconnected. Vstarcam (my model at least) needs to physically reset 80% of the time. If u only hv one cam prob get it changed, hopefully is a faulty unit. Mine happens to all cams so is clearly a design issue.

I know it is damn frustrating. U just want to set it up and it should just simply work instead of fiddling with this and that to trial and error with no real logic to go with.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.