HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Wireless IP Camera thread

Like Tree469Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #2956
Banned

Hi, I signed up a new account just to write this review on vstarcam which I bought from marix.

Last November I started researching on a reliable ip camera to check on my maid and kids at home, and found this thread. Vstarcam was high raved, though on the hindsight now I realise it’s only high raved by one user which makes me wonder if he’s paid to do so

Using the vstarcam for the past 6 months has been a nightmare to me. Frequent disconnection, countless troubleshooting via whatsapp and remote access, faulty camera which was replaced, then realised replaced wrong model and changed back with the right model… but I found out that marix actually gave me back my old camera (same UID). And when I asked the marix guy he said not to worry as it was already fixed by “factory”. The standard answer was always that he would feedback to “factory” and upgrade/downgrade firmware. Someone in this forum also always quote “factory” hmmmmm...

Oh yes! Always blame my internet connection or firmware bug but never the product’s fault. I gave marix far too many chances, and I’ve to give credit to Louis for being ever so accommodating to troubleshoot for me even after working hours (remote access). But the last straw was when he decided to fiddle with my router/homeplug wifi settings and my wifi wouldn’t work anymore. I had to set everything back to factory settings and redo everything incl pairing of my powerline wifi all over again. Now it may seem simple to you techy guys but not to me, a non techsavvy busy full time working mother of two young children!

Bottomline is, I regret purchasing this camera when all I wanted is a fuss free surveillance for my children’s sake. But instead I had to troubleshoot every other week, restarting the cam every other day for the past 6 months. So to all other parents looking for camera reviews, heed my advice and do not purchase Vstarcam even from their Marix because when the product itself is faulty, how good a customer service is doesn’t matter anymore. The so called money savings isn’t worth all my time wasted. I had Foscam at my parents’ place and it has never failed me, perhaps its time I revisited them.
i have a FosCam as well and it never fails me either.
Gribber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #2957

Hi I bought Dlink DCS-5222L @ 159during previous IT show.Wanted to install that.Usually is it fixed on ceiling ? How about the wiring. I dont have any empty power socket near the place where im planning to fix the camera.Any picture to share how you install wiring etc ? Thanks
deadlockb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #2958

So much problem. You not pai seh I pai seh.
Hardcor? likes this.
Fuzzywuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:40 AM   #2959
Master Member

Pretty sad on ur mishap, ur camera could have been changed parts to rectify the earlier report problem. But if still so, ask them for exchange, pretty sure they will allow. Just bring down to change with them
geckoSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #2960

Pretty sad on ur mishap, ur camera could have been changed parts to rectify the earlier report problem. But if still so, ask them for exchange, pretty sure they will allow. Just bring down to change with them
the thought of making a trip down to change it when it wasnt my problem in the first place just makes me mad.

even if marix offers to come by my place to fix or change the camera wont change anything (pun unintended) because they still wont be able to rectify my problems. either product is not up to standard or their usual excuse of my wifi breaking off because there are too many wireless 2.5ghz in hdb. but excusez moi aren't 90% of singaporeans living in hdb flats? what bulls**t
iregisteredforthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #2961
Banned

the thought of making a trip down to change it when it wasnt my problem in the first place just makes me mad.

even if marix offers to come by my place to fix or change the camera wont change anything (pun unintended) because they still wont be able to rectify my problems. either product is not up to standard or their usual excuse of my wifi breaking off because there are too many wireless 2.5ghz in hdb. but excusez moi aren't 90% of singaporeans living in hdb flats? what bulls**t
because of this, i've made mine into WIRED.

the problem with mine is neither the WIFI nor the WIRED. Is the ability of restarting intermittently.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #2962

because of this, i've made mine into WIRED.

the problem with mine is neither the WIFI nor the WIRED. Is the ability of restarting intermittently.
oh so now marix offers to exchange my camera to the latest model. apparently the newer model has improved wifi capabilities. sigh i dont know if i should try them again because was thinking to getting either dlink or foscam from the pc fair this weekend. what do you recommend? thanks!
Old 04-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #2963
Banned

oh so now marix offers to exchange my camera to the latest model. apparently the newer model has improved wifi capabilities. sigh i dont know if i should try them again because was thinking to getting either dlink or foscam from the pc fair this weekend. what do you recommend? thanks!
At least they bother changing for you. Mine they no head no tail.

Which model are they planning to change for you? T7838WIP ?
Old 04-06-2015, 03:20 PM   #2964

o.O you buy so many? My cam location will be in the centre of living room and kitchen. I dont think the wide angle can cover the left side living room and right side kitchen.

After looking thru all the cameras, I think Dlink 5222l or Foscam FI9831P will be more suitable for me. Price both the same for IT show. Will be going for Dlink since I have 930L before and never fail me. Less one app to download.
for use in different locations including commercial areas lol...good for live view but not for recording/archiving longer periods...for the features an enterprise class camera will be quite ex...that works too...PC Show Dlink prices are cool.
pilotsnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #2965

At least they bother changing for you. Mine they no head no tail.

Which model are they planning to change for you? T7838WIP ?
no leh. changing to c7824wip from my current C7837WIP
Old 04-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #2966

FOSCAM FI9826P seems good also. Anyone using?
I am using FI9821W, so far so good.

Only complain is i cannot use speaker and mic concurrently.
It will create the huge echo sound

Last edited by xyngfei; 04-06-2015 at 05:43 PM..
xyngfei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #2967

EasyN F-M136. Has been up for 3years and still working until today. Never needs rebooting at all. This vintage is trully reliable.
Hardcor? likes this.
Fuzzywuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:44 PM   #2968
Master Member

My Linksys WVC200 is almost 9 years old now (that's how old my eldest daughter is). It is still working, although another WVC200 unit has died a few years back. Only PTZ, not IR illuminator, but it still has one of the best low light performance (in colour w/o switching to B/W).
Old 04-06-2015, 08:27 PM   #2969
Supremacy Member

vStarcam looks v.good and I did email them but no reply. Their online out of stock for the $129 camera with alarm has been.. out of stock like forever.

I called them once and they finally pick up, I ask if they are participating in the IT show, when is the stock coming, how come never reply my email. They just say they'll inform me once stock arrive.

Haven't even buy anything I got this feeling they are closing down. I'll still wait for their call. Maybe in year 2020 they'll call me say got stock. lolx

but their camera is most chio among all the brands thou.
zippy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:24 AM   #2970
Master Member

Alarm series wise, was told tat it will b on hold til further notice, something about being send refreshed models so they do not wish to bring existing ones in. My order also delay cos of this. Rather wait for refreshed models.
geckoSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.