Wireless IP Camera thread

PAP

Reaction score
How to setup camera and router for access from internet

Hi experts :)

Just bought myself some Dlink DCS 5230L IP cameras and a DIR 655 router. Setup everything and works fine. I can view my cameras from mydlink website but now I need to setup for me to be able to access them from my phone. Basically I use a Windows phone and Dlink doesn't have a Windows phone app.

I searched through the web and came to know something called port forwarding. It would seem that with port forwarding, I will be able to access my cameras straight using an IP_Address:port format using a browser. The thing now is that instructions seem to vary for different brands and I'm quite lost.

What I have done so far is to set a static IP for my cameras which I confirmed that I can access from my laptop on the same LAN network. Then I set my router to forward that static ip address to a port. I then checked my external ip address using whatismyipaddress.com and then entered IP_Address:port. Nothing happened. I checked my router and in it said my WAN ip address is something else. So some slight confusion here also, which IP should I be using? And how should I setup my DCS 5230L and DIR 655 to do port forwarding?

Thanks in advance! :)

anyung78

Reaction score
HI everyone, i am currently considering these 2 models :-

1) EASY N (MODEL M186)
2) VSTARCAM (H6837WI)

can anyone pls help to comment especially on this EASY N(MODEL M186) unit. Saw quite a good review/comment for VSTARCAM(H6837WI). Just wondering if this EASY N(MODEL M186)unit is it good enough ?

Last edited:

marixsupport

Reaction score
why so? i was looking at the demo and the live video feed seems to be abit slow and also during the pan and tilt for both the aztech one at the vstarcam. that's why i don't know which is a better alternative. wouldn't want to pay $200+ and get something that is not worth the price.

For VStarcam demo, our current demo is hosted on a 3G network. So, speed wise will be crappy, movement wise, etc will be slow, but this is to demonstrate the camera's ability in low bandwidth.

In Fibre environment, the image quality and speed will be better. If you refer to our earlier posted clip recorded of 2 iphones viewing the camera's playback of a slingplayer. 3G laggs ADSL of about 1 sec only. Hope this clarifies.

marixsupport

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommends.. I plan to record to NAS on a long run basis. Cos micro SD can be removed then abit redundant. and i have to remove the sd card when its full right?

How is this H6837WI? is it lasting?

I'm saw the prolink PIC1003WP. looks good but don't have night vision.

For H6837WI, there is no need to remove the MicroSD Card, there is a loop recording function, which allows the oldest recording to be overwritten once MicroSD Card is full. Playback wise is via the webUI on the camera itself. Recording wise, Manufacturer had tested and claims up to 7 days with the highest quality on 32GB. Some clients do claim up to 2 weeks and more if they
lower their resolution to the average.

remoir

Reaction score
If u are accessing H6837WI via the android app provided by Vstarcam, you can enable the recording function via the app, and the images will be stored online at their server.

wahlin

Reaction score
Think VStarcam got model which is fully plug-and-play i.e. H6837WIP. No need DDNS, not need port forwarding. How true ?

Just got my Vstarcam H6837WIP a few days ago. Yes indeed, this is a true plug and play. For a first timer like me, it took me about 5 min from opening the box to viewing from my smart phone.

consigliere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you need it now, H6837WI will do the job. But NAS wise, some people here actually complained of slow video feed recording over wireless. So, its good to depend on MicroSD card recording n managed expectation on NAS recording.

NAS recording over wireless or wired is no good.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
Just got my Vstarcam H6837WIP a few days ago. Yes indeed, this is a true plug and play. For a first timer like me, it took me about 5 min from opening the box to viewing from my smart phone.

Wooo... Cool... It will be the next big thing I guess.

PAP

Reaction score
Anybody knows of any 3rd party IP camera software that will allow you to listen to the sounds using the camera's microphone as well as viewing video?

So far all the software I've seen just shows you video only..

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Anybody knows of any 3rd party IP camera software that will allow you to listen to the sounds using the camera's microphone as well as viewing video?

So far all the software I've seen just shows you video only..

IP Cam Viewer by Robert Chou does that. It even allows you to talk into your phone to have a 2-way conversation (you need a speaker at the camera's end). I used my Samsung Galaxy Tab to watch and listen, and my mobile phone to talk to my kids in the morning.

PAP

Reaction score
IP Cam Viewer by Robert Chou does that. It even allows you to talk into your phone to have a 2-way conversation (you need a speaker at the camera's end). I used my Samsung Galaxy Tab to watch and listen, and my mobile phone to talk to my kids in the morning.

This is an Android app right? I'm looking for a software on the PC that does the same thing. Any ideas?

anyung78

Reaction score

i am looking to buy Vstarcam H6837WIP too, can u advise where can i buy it? and how much it cost ?

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
Been asked to edit this post... For availability, need to check with local distro.

Last edited:

marixsupport

Reaction score
FYI guys, we've done a short review of the H6837WIP on our blogspot on the Plug n Play setup.

Just a quick update for techies here that setup for H6837WIP can be done via both iPhone n Android devices. This Plug n Play feature will allow viewing via mobile devices quick and easy.

jason

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where can I get the cheapest FOSCOM IP Cam from Singapore ?

Kraitz

Reaction score
For H6837WI, there is no need to remove the MicroSD Card, there is a loop recording function, which allows the oldest recording to be overwritten once MicroSD Card is full. Playback wise is via the webUI on the camera itself. Recording wise, Manufacturer had tested and claims up to 7 days with the highest quality on 32GB. Some clients do claim up to 2 weeks and more if they
lower their resolution to the average.

Thanks will find time to go down and take a look.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.