HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Creative SXFI Air Theater headphones and Creative "HDMI AV box"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2019, 01:49 AM   #1

Creative SXFI Air Theater headphones and Creative "HDMI AV box"

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feat...ve-hdmi-av-box

Hi, Vijay.

Am I right that the SXFI Air Theater differs from SXFI Air by the wireless connectivity, ie. wireless USB adaptor vs. BT 4.2?
And I presume it does not have dedicated drivers for 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound channels?
So the surround effects u mentioned, they are virtual effect?
And if you have tried Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Wireless 7.1 Surround Gaming Headset, how do the 2 fare against each other?
wind77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:56 PM   #2
Administrator

Hi Wind77,

Yes, that's right.
The just-launched SXFI Air supports BT and wired connection.
The upcoming SXFI Theatre will use a low-latency wireless connection by way of a wireless adaptor (in essence, Wi-Fi).

The G933 also uses simulated virtual audio and only has a single driver in each earcup.

For the SXFI Theater and to the extent the entire SXFI range of products, including their Amp - the goal is to re-create audio as though you hear it from speakers in a room/hall/theater/etc. but through your headphones. Yes, it's simulated too, but the key difference is how it tries to simulate virtual audio.

The SXFI experience is unfortunately difficult to grasp unless you've had a real-life demo at the Creative HQ. This is because you need to have a reference as to how real multi-channel audio sounds like in a room and then compare how well the SXFI product tries to emulate it.

I've not personally tried the G933 Logitech headset, but I've tried other virtual surround sound headsets and if you were to ask me who does a better job, I feel the SXFI experience does it better. Notice I mention SXFI in general and not this particular headset.

The ultimate combination is to get a SXFI Amp + headphones of your choice. The SXFI headphones are just one product solution, but the experience is only constricted to this headset, for which you must like it first and of course the headset.

So the better way is to get standalone headphone and SXFI Amp to get the best of both worlds.

Hope this info helps.

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feat...ve-hdmi-av-box

Hi, Vijay.

Am I right that the SXFI Air Theater differs from SXFI Air by the wireless connectivity, ie. wireless USB adaptor vs. BT 4.2?
And I presume it does not have dedicated drivers for 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound channels?
So the surround effects u mentioned, they are virtual effect?
And if you have tried Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Wireless 7.1 Surround Gaming Headset, how do the 2 fare against each other?
Old 14-01-2019, 04:27 PM   #3

Dear Vijay,

I'm pretty much confused now.

Before your article was published, I read from https://gadgets-reviews.com/review/1...-headsets.html that Logitech G430 features real surround and not virtual. In fact, all the 8 headphones published there were tagged as "real surround". Of course, after checking Logitech website, there was no description on the number of drivers, size, and responding frequencies. I could only found 1 single driver being featured, yet it was marketed as 7.1 surround sound.

And luckily you confirmed that even G933 is using virtual surround, not true surround.

If you were to buy a headphone/earphone based on the following requirements, what would u buy?
1. maximum isolation from environmental noise
2. comfort for long wear (8 hr+)
3. wireless (8 hr+)
4. for music listening and movie watching, not for gaming.
5. preferably true surround sound 5.1 or 7.1

Thanks.
Old 14-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #4

Hey there,

Based on your requirements, I think the two headphones you can consider are the Sony WH-1000XM3 and NAD VISO HP70.

The Sony is the better all-round headphone because of their excellent noise-canceling but the the NAD is the most natural-sounding wireless headphone I have heard so far.

Also, I don't think you should get too hung up on true surround. IMO, it doesn't really exist in headphones. Even multi-driver ones are an approximation of the sound that you get from a true surround sound setup, i.e. 5 or 7 loudspeakers and a subwoofer. Besides, almost all music is mastered using a two-channel (stereo) setup.

I'm old school when it comes to my music so if your primary use is for music and movies, have you considered wired options? There are some very good sealed wired headphones right now.

I'm not sure what your budget and setup is, but if you can share your them and your music and sound preference (are you a basshead or a mids kind of guy), I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

Last edited by kennyyeo23; 14-01-2019 at 05:46 PM..
kennyyeo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 05:47 PM   #5

Another model you can try out if you must have surround sound effects (again depending on your budget) is the new Mobius.
That has (digital) surround sound effects and wireless, but no noise-cancelling.

I don't think there's a headphone out there that has every feature you're looking for in one, so you'll probably have to pick and choose what matters to you most.

If wireless and noise-cancelling is a priority, I'd second Kenny's recommendation of the Sonys. Good luck!
Old 14-01-2019, 07:27 PM   #6
Administrator

Hi wind77,

I hope the responses above from my writers have given you more concrete opinions based on your requirements.

Cheers!

If you were to buy a headphone/earphone based on the following requirements, what would u buy?
1. maximum isolation from environmental noise
3. wireless (8 hr+)
5. preferably true surround sound 5.1 or 7.1

Thanks.
Old 14-01-2019, 07:59 PM   #7

Thanks Kenny, phuturz and Vijay.

The first 3 criteria are a must.

I am currently using Shure 535 with a BT adapter.
However, I'm facing few problem with it:
a. the BT cable is causing problem with my skin
b. no surround effect when watching movies - and majority of my movies are either 5.7 or 7.1 ch.
c. noise insulation only shields out 40% of noise (when not listening to Shure) and 85% noise (when Shure is in use).
d. lag in audio transmission (BT v4.1), and system slow down.

I have been searching around, and initially I thought 5.1 true surround or 7.1 true surround doesn't exist too.
Then the article on gadgets-reviews.com said there were true surround headsets in the market.
But from Vijay's reply, I think it is just technically impossible to achieve that.
I'm not considering a true 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system due to space constraint and environmental noise.
Wired earphone/headphone also not considered, due to seating distance and constant moving around (unless it has 2.4m length of cable).
But if getting a wired earphone, I might as well get a 2.4m length of pure silver cable to pair with my Shure 535?

I've not tried noise cancellation tech before, and my last impression is that: it doesn't work wonder.
I'm not sure how Sony WH-1000XM3 improves noise cancellation tech, hopefully it is something worth looking at now?

So, to sum it out:
1. I'm more of a natural sound, more to vocal, less on bass and treble.
2. maximum isolation from environmental noise (this is a must)
3. preferably wireless (8 hr+) - can be radio or BT.
5. true surround sound 5.1 or 7.1 (preferably)
6. budget around 600.

I'll definitely take a look at Sony WH-1000XM3.
NAD VISO HP70... I dunno if i can find it easily in local store?

If you have other recommendations worthy to match Shure 535 in headset form, with better noise insulation/cancellation, pls let me know.
Thanks.
Old 15-01-2019, 09:50 AM   #8

Hmm… very specific set of requirements you have.

On the topic of surround, my belief is that headphones with good imaging and stereo separation will get a much longer way than any pseudo-surround technology.

As for the need to be mobile, I admit that wireless headphones are your best option. You can always order longer cables with headphones but they are still cumbersome.

Noise-cancellation is only effective at certain frequencies. They are excellent at removing low-ish frequency and repeating noises, which is why they are good in the planes. Outside of the plane, I find that they are very good at removing fan and aircon noise. Traffic to a lesser extent. That said, Sony’s new WH-1000XM3 is a big jump forward for the tech and you should definitely check it out since isolation from environmental noise is a priority for you.

Still, on the subject of isolation have you considered Etymotic? Their in-ear monitors are the leaders in isolation. But they do go very deep into your ears, so that’s something to consider. Unfortunately, I don’t think they have a wireless option.

As for sound, I’m afraid to say that the WH-1000XM3 are really bassy and probably not your cup of tea. But that is usually the case for most mainstream consumer headphones, especially Sonys. You need to look at the, for lack of a better word, “audiophile” options for headphones that are tuned differently. Perhaps Audio-Technica? I don’t have much experience with their headphones (only heard a few) but I find that they are less bassy and more balanced than Sonys.

If wireless and isolation are your biggest priorities outside of sound, then NAD VISO HP70 is probably the best option. It sounds more natural and balanced than the Sonys, and it is wireless and has active noise-canceling. You can check them out at the NAD showroom at Shaw Tower, Beach Road.
Old 15-01-2019, 04:46 PM   #9

Hi Kenny.

My source of "interference" or "noise" mainly comes from loud conversation and TV drama. As you pointed out that noise cancellation is good at removing low frequencies, I presume it won't work well on such source?
Old 17-01-2019, 02:55 PM   #10

No probably not. You might want to check out Etymotic if you are comfortable with sticking IEMs deep into your ears. I haven't tried them but I have read good things about them.
Old 17-01-2019, 06:04 PM   #11

IEM? I am using the Shure 535, which is one of the top IEMs in the market.
I've no problem with the IEMs sticking into ears, no discomfort issue.
But main problem is the skin problem caused by the 3rd party BT adapter.
And that's why i am thinking of headset.
Nevertheless, I guess headset also has its own problem: heat/sweat build up within the earcup, so it is another factor i need to check too.
Thanks.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.