HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

<$150 IEMs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #1

<$150 IEMs

Hey all, I've been rocking out with my SR-80is and I've been looking for a new pair of IEMs to replace my old ones after the Grados showed me how ****e they were.

I've heard good things about the RE0s and sunrise xcape, how well do they match up in sound quality to the grado? Also, how do they match up to entry level BAs like the UM1 and westone 1?

My current source is mainly my iPod touch 64gb 3rd gen -> e5 or MacBook -> e5. My music library is slowly converting to flacs. Occasionally though, I may use them out of my iPhone 4 which has 128kbps aac compression (to my ears it seems pretty good for lossy). Looking to upgrade to madcap amp eventually.
mentosonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #2

brainwavz m3, klipsch s4
kuanknightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately the grado sound has totally destroyed the basshead in me. I'm currently looking at the SW-XCape (aware of the upcoming B and Impressive Editions), should I get that or hold out for a pair of 2nd hand DBA-02s at less than $200?

How much of a jump is DBA-02 from RE0/Xcape IEMs anyway?
Old 11-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Master Member

If you can stretch to 200 get gr07 if not xcape will be good
Spladox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #5

or can get B2 they are a clone of dba. Local dealer having a preorder special @ SGD175. but only if you are willing to waiting cuz they will only be in stock in may?
pikmin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #6

could give the s4 a go.

they are 119 at challenger if you are a member.
they allow you to demo them too.
comfortable with good bass.
silvernoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #7

Hmm speaking of the S4 a friend of mine have them, I tried it. Its definitely an upgrade from my current pair of Denon AH-C551s but unfortunately after listening to grados I've realised that both really dont cut it in detail and clarity.

Anyhow, I auditioned the RE-Zero, DBA-02 and the nice guys at jaben asked me to give the FAD Heaven-As a listen. Pretty wonderful IEMs, especially the DBA-02 though it feels a little thin and siblant. How well does it scale with an amp? Also tried the SW-Xcape v2, the reviews on head-fi are right, bass is bloated and sounds like a slightly better S4 to my ears (at $105 though).

RE-Zero was great, wonderful for the price but build quality sucks :X so at the moment I'm leaning towards that or a 2nd hand pair of DBA-02s and hoot a madcap amp. But first gonna wait for the Xcited/B models that may be coming out soon and try them out before I make my decision though.

Last edited by mentosonline; 11-04-2011 at 07:07 PM..
Old 18-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #8

Im waiting for the impressive edition which properly par with the xcape v1,v2 is just disappointed.
sinskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #9

Firstly, S4s are overrated and you can get better sound clarity in Hippo VBs which are slightly cheaper.

DBA-02s are a different sound signature altogether to what you've been hearing so maybe that's why you find it sibilant. If you're looking at DBAs, I would recommend you get the Brainwavz B2. I'm 90% sure they come from the same OEM but the B2s have a nicer shell and are cheaper on pre-order now. Sound wise shouldn't be much of a difference la.. (www.lendmeurears.com)

Xcape is supposed to compete with the RE0s, but ever since Sunrise revised the tuning and produced the v2, they now lean more towards a V-shaped sound signature. I would recommend waiting for the Xcited and see how it sounds.

Myself being a fan of the GR07s, I would suggest you head down to toyoutpost at PS to try it out. It's a really balanced sound signature with very good soundstage, clarity and detail. It might now match up to DBA's clarity in the upper mids and treble, but the overall balanced and natural sound signature plus the bang-for-buck factor are definitely reasons to give it a chance.
frostchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.