HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[OFFICIAL] SHARE YOUR HOOTS HERE ! ! !

Like Tree2700Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #8866

How do i use this ifi i-usb thing let say I'm using it for my chord Hugo. So it's from pc to this i-usb then to chord Hugo?? That 2 USB cable is a must or I can use for 2 devices
Old 16-09-2015, 03:18 PM   #8867
Supremacy Member

End game rig

Wa nabei you every month got new gear.
Old 16-09-2015, 04:55 PM   #8868
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm using the older ifi I-usb with Gemini cable..it really does help, the background is way blacker but I had to take the I-purifier I was using with it as I felt it dampened dynamics a tad too much.

I wonder what's the diff between the new and old I-USB...
USB isolator devices are definitely not placebo at all, I understand what you guys are saying as I have been on the Ratoc Labs RAL-EXTPW01 for awhle now on my desktop rig. I didn't pay the full manufacturer RRP for it as I got it through some Rakuten store it was hooted for slightly less than 20,000yen back around 2 years ago when I also just bought my Fostex HP-A8 DAC, only spent around SGD 240 for my Ratoc USB isolator device.

Yes it doesn't come clad in shiny bling bling aluminum housing like the iFi iUSBpower or the latest iUSB 3.0, it comes in ABS polycarbonate plastic but the build is not shabby either. And you can choose to power it with only NiMH Eneloop rechargeable batteries or Lithium batteries via 4x AA, up to you to choose which will change the overall sound as well slightly. Don't have to worry abt running out of batt life on the go when strapped to portable devices such as Hugo + smartphone or other portable DAP rigs.

With my Ratoc Labs USB isolator device, background is definitely blacker with improved imaging and transparency felt. It doesn't really change the bass/treble texture or characteristics much on my HP-A8, but I would say the overall SQ performance and background instruments do sound more in-focus with a greater sense of scale and propulsive drive to your music.

If anyone are just looking to add or change bass quantity or reduce treble details/brightness, my suggestions is just play with different USB or power supply cables can liao. Don't have to spend sub-500 dollars on something like the iUSB 3.0. If you want audible improvements in imaging and more precise instrumental separation and lowered EMI/noise floor, then yes I would say investing in a USB isolator device such as the ones by iFi Audio/Schiit Wyrd/Ratoc Labs is quite worthwhile.
Old 16-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #8869
Arch-Supremacy Member

How do i use this ifi i-usb thing let say I'm using it for my chord Hugo. So it's from pc to this i-usb then to chord Hugo?? That 2 USB cable is a must or I can use for 2 devices
Read Cymbacavum's review of the iUSBpower and Chord Hugo's discussion thread especially pg 612/613 and you will understand how it works in nature. You can use those twin-USB cables like the Ifi's own Gemini or use 2 pairs of single USB cables, it will work fine.
Old 19-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #8870
Master Member

Just picked up my new source from 313 Somerset
Haonan likes this.
Old 19-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #8871
High Supremacy Member

mini studio

Old 19-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #8872
High Supremacy Member

Finally collected my Earwerkz Legend Omega. Trying out with Toxic Viper cables..

Maybe aim for DAP next... or Toxic Silver Poison.

Gaminator likes this.

Last edited by shadow84; 19-09-2015 at 05:09 PM..
Old 19-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #8873
Master Member

Finally collected my Earwerkz Legend Omega. Trying out with Toxic Viper cables..

Gong xi on new toy. Think this baby needs lengthy burn in. I remember listening to Kenny's one on 2 separate occasions and it sounded noticeably different.

See when free can meet up let u try the different cables with the Omega.

Old 19-09-2015, 05:45 PM   #8874
High Supremacy Member

Gong xi on new toy. Think this baby needs lengthy burn in. I remember listening to Kenny's one on 2 separate occasions and it sounded noticeably different.

See when free can meet up let u try the different cables with the Omega.

They recommend 200 hours burn in... Guess i have to let it run while im in office as well. Should be done in 14 days or so.

Also, i noted that the right bore is slightly shorter than my left side. In which it made it easier to remove. But seal is good, a little tight (maye my ears not used to it yet.) Shall see the outcome in 1 month time.

As for ur cables, wait till my viper die then i come find u.. lol.
Old 19-09-2015, 06:00 PM   #8875
Master Member

As for ur cables, wait till my viper die then i come find u.. lol.
U say until macam I charge for demo.
Old 19-09-2015, 07:35 PM   #8876
High Supremacy Member

U say until macam I charge for demo.
Haha, no la... waiting for 2 yrs anniversary when hit Apr 2016.
Old 20-09-2015, 01:54 AM   #8877

Congrats. Source is highly important in the chain. I'd plan for it first.
Old 22-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #8878

initial thoughts: great amount of details. very open and spacious especially in the highs. vocals are slightly forward but lower mids/bass isnt very meaty (maybe because of that so can hear more details?)

the separation between vocals and instruments (piano/strings/cymbals) is fapfapfap
theory_87 likes this.

Last edited by mymymy92; 22-09-2015 at 11:20 AM..
Old 22-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #8879
Arch-Supremacy Member

initial thoughts: great amount of details. very open and spacious especially in the highs. vocals are slightly forward but lower mids/bass isnt very meaty (maybe because of that so can hear more details?)

the separation between vocals and instruments (piano/strings/cymbals) is fapfapfap
jin elite jin satki

tera become doorstopper?
Old 22-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #8880
Master Member

A lot of air sounds like Guanye's cuppa tea.

Donations welcome.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.