HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

1k budget, need some advice

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By omelet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #1

1k budget, need some advice

Ok after doing much research and auditioning I decided to stick with universal iem rather than ciem. With this budget should I go all in for the best iem I can afford, or spend half on a DAP and half on iem? Currently using note 8 as a source and not happy with the volume. My current iems are $200+ or less kind.

At home I have full sized headphones and a desktop dac, so I'm asking for portable use only.
alfseeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 09:03 PM   #2
High Supremacy Member

1. What do you normally listen
2. What is your current IEM
3. What do you hope to achieve on a portable setup.
CeSaRiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 11:07 PM   #3

1. What do you normally listen
2. What is your current IEM
3. What do you hope to achieve on a portable setup.
Normally listen to pop/rock, acoustic, vocals. A bit of jazz and classical. I like a bassy signature and smooth rich mids. I’m sensitive to sibilance.

My best two IEMs now are the Final Audio Heaven IV, and Trinity Audio Icarus III. Less used ones are RE 400 and TDK BA200, because the bass not enough.

I auditioned a couple of IEMs and CIEMs and most sounded not much better than my Final Audio. I want good isolation in a portable setup but I’m not really good at describing the sound I want. The IEM that most wowed me was the Shure 846 so far, so I guess I like that kind of signature.
Old 30-04-2018, 08:19 AM   #4

Normally listen to pop/rock, acoustic, vocals. A bit of jazz and classical. I like a bassy signature and smooth rich mids. Iím sensitive to sibilance.

My best two IEMs now are the Final Audio Heaven IV, and Trinity Audio Icarus III. Less used ones are RE 400 and TDK BA200, because the bass not enough.

I auditioned a couple of IEMs and CIEMs and most sounded not much better than my Final Audio. I want good isolation in a portable setup but Iím not really good at describing the sound I want. The IEM that most wowed me was the Shure 846 so far, so I guess I like that kind of signature.
You like the se846 but at 1k budget? Can go try the Westone um pro 50. Very comfy due to smaller and slimmer shell and isolate very well with the Westone tru-fit foam tip or Shure olive foam tip...
omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
High Supremacy Member

Normally listen to pop/rock, acoustic, vocals. A bit of jazz and classical. I like a bassy signature and smooth rich mids. Iím sensitive to sibilance.

I auditioned a couple of IEMs and CIEMs and most sounded not much better than my Final Audio. I want good isolation in a portable setup but Iím not really good at describing the sound I want. The IEM that most wowed me was the Shure 846 so far, so I guess I like that kind of signature.
Personally I feel source takes a bigger place in a Portable audio setup. My suggestion will be to try DAPs pairing with your Final Audio Heaven IV before deciding if you want to let your earphones go.

If DAP does resolve your issue, you're safe. If not, you will need to try DAP + iem pairing at that price tag. If you're firm on your budget, you can try IT03 IEM. DAP wise you can give DX80 (if it's still around) or Fiio X5 MkIII
CeSaRiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #6

Depends also if you prefer to use the phone as a playback device with an external DAC Amp too.

There are some pretty good DAC Amps out there that don't cost a lot and have pretty good sound quality output too.

From the lowest to the highest that I would recommend in $$$
- SMSL IDEA / Sabaj Da2
- Sabaj Da3
- Fiio Q1mkII
- SMSL IQ
- Topping NX4 DSD
- Fiio Q5 ( that's already into mid-upper range dedicated DAP territory though)

Worth a try as most of them are under SG$200/- and who knows, may bring your IEM's output to a level you're happy enough with.
Dhitto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #7

You like the se846 but at 1k budget? Can go try the Westone um pro 50. Very comfy due to smaller and slimmer shell and isolate very well with the Westone tru-fit foam tip or Shure olive foam tip...
I'm going Japan soon. Can get shure 846 at $900 plus there.
Old 30-04-2018, 03:18 PM   #8

I'm going Japan soon. Can get shure 846 at $900 plus there.
Can give the um pro 50 a try before decide, sound zero fatigue for me.. might be able to get at 7xx in Japan...
alfseeto likes this.
omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #9

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out!
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.