600 Ohm Headphone - Open Back with Balanced Inputs

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any good ones to recommed? Thought of getting one for home music entertainment leh.

Is the 600 Ohm one better than a 300 Ohm and 32 Ohm in terms of sound quality?

Thanks

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I thought 2-pin devices like transducers are "balanced" by definition. The connection can be unbalanced, however. And technically the term you're looking for is differential drive (or bridge-tied-load as it is called for speaker amps), because "balanced line" is referring to the cable where the two wires both have the same impedance to ground.

I'm guessing that you are referring to headphones with XLR connector.

Well, to answer your first question regarding load impedance, no, load impedance on headphone has as little correlation to sound quality as load impedance of speakers on their sound quality.

As for why we have such a varying range of common impedance values for headphones, it's due to history and standards and some equipment limitations that are still being practiced today. There are still equipment with high output impedance and high output voltage, these work well with high impedance headphones. There are equipment with low output voltage (MP3 players, USB-powered stuff), these work well with low impedance headphones. Then there are sensitive headphones that need low noise amps, and insensitive headphones that are immune to noise but need high voltage. A good amp *should* cater to all headphone types, but you can always choose to get one that works with just your headphone.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

I have the Closed-Back SONY 1000XM3 for OTG use

Now, starting my audio interest, I need a pair of Open Back headphone for relaxation use.

I'll be collecting my iFi ZEN DAC and ZEN CAN tomorrow. The CAN can drive headphone of 600 Ohm but only using its Balanced output

https://ifi-audio.com/products/zen-dac/

https://ifi-audio.com/products/zen-can/

So I need a 600-Ohm pair to use. Not XLR connector but a 4.4 mm Pentaconn male stereo jack

Reviews of the ZEN DAC here

ZEN CAN review

Combo stack review

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I know it's not a 600-Ohm headphone but bought it because it has offer of $699 now. Have to custom make a 1.5m long 4.4mm balanced cable though because the original comes with a standard stereo input. Tested at the shop amd found balanced sounds better than unbalanced one

Also, got my ZEN DAC and ZEN CAN too

Hifiman He5se reviews

https://audio46.com/blogs/headphones/hifiman-he5se-headphones-review

Should listen to songs like

男兒當自強 by George Lam (Cantonese)

葉麗儀 (Francis Yip) - 上海灘 (Cantonese)

葉麗儀 Frances Yip - 《萬般情》

葉麗儀 Frances Yip -《上海灘龍虎鬥》

Frances Yip 葉麗儀 ~ 女黑俠木蘭花 + 萬般情 + 上海灘龍虎門 + Simply The Best + 上海灘

叶丽仪45年香港情演唱会2015

大壯【我們不一樣】

皇后大道東 羅大佑

The Prodigy – The Day Is My Enemy (Live in Russia)

鄧麗君 - 永恒鄧麗君柔情經典

Flight of the Cosmic Hippo - Great low bass expressed here

SOFI TUKKER - Déjà Vu Affair - Great low bass expressed here

This Giant Robot Kills - MC Lars

Blue Scholars - Seijun Suzuki

Shooplex - Platinum Level Circulation

Astrix - Deep Jungle Walk [Hommega Productions]

War Thunder Kill Montage \\\ "Dreamin"

Hotel California Eagles

ONSLAUGHT - Strike Fast Strike Hard (2020) // Official Lyric Video // AFM Records

Gamma Ray - Skeletons & Majesties - 01 Welcome + Anywhere In The Galaxy (Live)

It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N' Roll)

Queen - Another One Bites the Dust (Live @ Wembley 1986) [HD]

especially using the 4.4mm connection.

600-Ohm one later then look for it

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.