Audio Technica Appreciation Thread

Reaction score
@Randius:
you do make sense :s13:
I'll compile a list of all the gears listed so far...
I think we should list our non-ath gears too (our full setup, since it's about trying to make our ath cans be best it can be =D)

i'm planning to go japan to stay for 1 month maybe early next year... and would definetely go have a listen to the amps ;)

definetely... the last time i tried at ad2000 was at pc show... didn't find it that great (maybe it was too noisy there...)

Last edited:

xbfloater

Reaction score
Hi all AT fans, I first heard about AT on Digital Life featuring ATH-CKM50. Used to have CKM55 but sold it & just collected a ATH-M50 bought during Sitex. Still burning it in but love the sound signature too!

Randius

Reaction score
@LBBEF: PC shows and its likes are never good places to try out headphones, especially an open one like AD series.

jacktaris

Reaction score
Or aim for ESW10JPN (time to poison more people) :s13: It has supposedly the best mid amongst the ESW series.

Haha... Yea.. I will certainly get the esw10jpn if my wallet allows.. But its 2X the price tag! hahaha... Too expensive for a student like me. XD

Somemore i still plan to get a tube amp to pair with my fiio e17! :)

Cheers !

shsh91

Reaction score
I would really like to try the ESW10JPN. Hard to find a mint one.
Just wondering, do you guys use ur ESW11LTD outside? Cant find a carrying case for it. ATH-HPP5 is already discontinued.

Reaction score
@Randius: True... That was when i first went into headphones... Well, it's good only to test for isolation and the noise cancelling models :D

@nekatrall: Saw the ES700 at one of the shops in Funan @ $248... Wanted to try but wasn't on display. The ES700's listed on Stereo's website... Not sure if it's on demo yet...

@shsh91: So far the only few ATH cans I've seen being used outside are... Few of the ONs, FCs, SJs, WSs, 3-4 ES7, 3-4 M50 (maybe mixed up with PRO series), 2 ESW9 and my ES10... And maybe a couple of them I forgotten or couldn't recognise... (clip-ons and in ears and maybe some others)

I travel from the east to west for school so I see lots of people on the train (=

For me I got a used HPP5 with an awesome microfibre cloth from daiso... Maybe you wanna try out the hippo cases or something?

JGXENX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I really wanted to try CK-100. Too bad it was EOL then, and its not widely available outside of Japan.

Randius

Reaction score
Just wondering, do you guys use ur ESW11LTD outside? Cant find a carrying case for it. ATH-HPP5 is already discontinued.

Yes, I do use my ESW11 outside and no, I don't use a carrying case. Too much of a hassle.

shsh91

Reaction score
i prefer using my IEMs, especially when you are carrying alot of things in your bag, the pouch cant protect the ESW11LTD.

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Haonan: Goldlink interconnects! :eek: I was looking for them high and low but AT SEA doesn't bring them in at all

Also chiong a couple of AT headphone stands directly from AT office today. Still wondering why Stereo stopped selling them???

Bro sry for replying late. Yeah ATH's Goldlink series interconnects are quite easy to get from JP, so I just asked my friend there to help lor since I usually do import my ATH gears from there. Their street prices there are quite economic friendly actually, this is not Mundorf/ALO so wallet dmg also not very bad, furthermore there's no need to waste shipping buy them from specific online stores since ATH stuffs are easily avail at Yodobashi Camera/BicCamera store outlets there, my friend lives in Tokyo so it's quite easy for him to pick up stuffs for me.

I should be making a trip to Tokyo again come next yr March/April period due to Sakura season, lemme know via PM msg if you are interested in getting any ATH cables/accessories, as long as it's not actual headphones (due to warranty reasons) I should be able to help you to purchase w/o incurring exp shipping charges.

AT headphone stands sounds gd! I actually aim their AT-HPS550 for very long liao, rem they introduced this model during Summer 2011 as an alternative stand to the wooden ver AT-HPS500. Saw the HPS550 before at Stereo, I guess I might just pick 2 pcs up when I'm ready to buy that AD2000X, one for my AD1000prm another for the AD2kx since I don't have own any headphone stands yet.

Was originally lusting after the Sieveking Sound Omega that I saw once from bro Guan22's setup pics that he had shared under post yr rig thread, that one was quite poisonous but after I found out abt the price, my wallet gave me the middle finger so NG I guess... :s13:

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Randius: Yeah, you are right.

Actually, the CK100pro do very well with vocal, to my ears.
When listening to these singer 南泥, 陳潔麗, 姚斯婷, I will automatically pick up CK100pro to listen.

Hey postfix79. :) I have to admit except for 姚斯婷 which Guan22 had already introduced earlier on this thread, I'm pretty new to the first 2 female singers u had mentioned in yr original post. I did check out 陳潔麗 on YT and Muzebra (ex Z-music.org, a russian streaming site I shared awhile back) just now, was pleasantly surprised by her vocal power and quite liked the cover she did for Mavis Fan's 眼淚. Although I haven't been following the C-pop scene very closely for the last few yrs, I grew up during my sec sch days listening to alot of chinese songs by popular artists back in those days such as Mavis Fan, Tarcy Su, Gigi Leung etc.

Anyway thks for the nice intro, I will definitely be picking up some 陳潔麗 CD albums very soon as I really like her vocals, even just via streaming quality her songs already left me breathless totally on my CK100PRO/AD1000PRM, I can't imagine what eargasm I will get when I listen to them properly via FLAC lossless with my desktop setup. :D

Last edited:

nekatrall

Reaction score
well not the first person to do but
its very satisfying done for a bro here
IMGP9234mod_zps3a5ec341.jpg

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Hey shsh91. Actually for Audio-technica accessories model names, they only have the AT hyphen infront, not ATH as that naming convention only applies to their headphones/IEMs. I did a check via a few popular japanese shopping websites such as Yodobashi and Amazon.co.jp, it's indeed alrdy discontinued. But I think you can try some other sites like Lelong or Audiocubes, it seems to be possible to order them still. Not sure if it's any help but I guess it's worth a try if you're interested in getting their original carrying case? I do have one with me right now that's not in use atm ever since I purchased my ESW9, but I may be putting my headphones up for sale next mth so most likely will be bundling it together for easier sales.

I really wanted to try CK-100. Too bad it was EOL then, and its not widely available outside of Japan.

Hi JGXENX. Wah you still that bothered by those CK100's owner impressions ah, since I rem awhile back from those K-pop threads in edmw u really wanted these pretty badly. Unfortunately they have alrdy been discontinued in JP as of Feb-March period this yr, they don't turn up that often for 2nd-hand sales even on japanese auction sites, and the last I saw them on sale 2nd-hand was on Head-fi's buy/sell bazaar back in Sept.

I do want to share with you that from this thread discussion post by AwakenedBeing on Head-fi, it's true that in terms of main signature traits the closest to CK100 would prolly be either AD1000PRM/AD2k in my own words too. Of course there are still some slight differences here and there, headphones being headphones they do have slightly more bass reverb/impact to yr ears than those CK100's, and in terms of soundstaging/imaging properties the AD1000PRM/AD2k definitely do much better than CK100's. But for their midrange character, having listened to my pair of AD1000PRM's for more than half a yr and also tried the AD1k/AD2k before myself, I would say they indeed do share alot of similarities in terms of the mids and vocal presentation.

So if really searching for a pair of CK100 doesn't turn up well for you, IMO you can always try aim for desktop/home setup and try acquire either a pair of AD1000PRM or AD2k next time, also not a bad idea. ATH's Air Dynamic series up to AD2k are not hard to drive at all unlike those Sennheisers/AKG's, most of them are quite low impedance with high sensitivity but of course they do benefit from higher power current outputs, so they will of course scale accordingly with higher-end DAC source/amps once you go up the chain. But even via my Sony NW-Z1070's headphone out, I can already unlock abt 70-80% of the AD1000PRM's sound quality w/o any external amping help, so yes investing in the AD series is not such a bad idea IMHO.

Just some genuine opinion from me, cheers mate! :o

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.