HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Audio Technica Appreciation Thread

Like Tree242Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #841
Arch-Supremacy Member

any idea original cables made of what material ?

brother randius, can share how u gonna buy them ? through which site
Will be getting the AT-HDC5 iem cables for Randius and myself through my own contacts in JP, as I have a friend over there.

There's seriously not much difference in getting from whichever shops over there, as usually frm my observations aftermarket cables/accessories for audio stuffs are in quite fixed prices for most big-name stores there. But because as shown on its product page, it goes according to open pricing which is the case for most electronic items merchandise sold in JP, generally spking this may still have a slight chance for buyers to be able to find it cheaper on some popular online stores such as Amazon.co.jp for a few hundred yens cheaper.

As for the material on stock cables, AT does not reveal that info for the IM series but I have noticed most stock cables on IEMs are either in rubber urethane or thermoplastic elastomer (TPE). However the interesting thing abt the AT-HDC5 series according to AT's product page is that the cabling coating is sleeved with titanium compound mixed sheath, which helps to maintain SQ and prevent from degradation due to external vibration factors (like when your hands are touching or yr clothing apparels material rubbing against it for example)

I did shared with Randius that it's pretty interesting how the HDC5 cables shares a similar kind of adapter jack design as their own AT645L extension cords originally meant for portable usage, and I do own the AT645L myself which I originaly spotted in the CKW1000ANV iem package.

Am hoping that these set of aftermarket 1st-party cables by AT will not be as microphonic as the stock cables though. I own all the previous CK line-up in-ear monitors from AT (with the exception of the CK70/CK90PRO series) and to my understanding, all the previous cables build quality/microphonic levels are far far much better as compared to the current stock cables used on the IM series line-up. Since Randius owns the CK10 and is now using the IM02/IM03 as well, he would probably agree with my sentiments here.

Last edited by Haonan; 29-01-2014 at 04:13 PM..
Haonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 04:20 PM   #842
Master Member

good information there brother haonan.. the adapter jack has a more atas feel. do u happen to have any idea if there is any difference in material between the original cable and the red colour cable that comes with purchase of IM series in Japan (i understand the red color cable should be the same, just that red color is for promotional purpose in japan domestic market.. i might be wrong)

anyway, i feel the memory wire of the IM series like doesnt really serve it's purpose.. IMO it should be either rigid and stay in place like the memory wire portion of the UM3X or W4R.. if not, do away with the whole thing

the current IM cables like loses its shape easily, might be good for some people but definitely not me.. i need to shape the wire again after some time
Old 29-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #843

Am hoping that these set of aftermarket 1st-party cables by AT will not be as microphonic as the stock cables though. I own all the previous CK line-up in-ear monitors from AT (with the exception of the CK70/CK90PRO series) and to my understanding, all the previous cables build quality/microphonic levels are far far much better as compared to the current stock cables used on the IM series line-up. Since Randius owns the CK10 and is now using the IM02/IM03 as well, he would probably agree with my sentiments here.
I certainly agree on the new IM cables being more microphonic than what's on the CK10. Frankly speaking, I am not very fond of the ear hooks as well.
Haonan likes this.
Old 30-01-2014, 12:13 AM   #844

hurhur cannot rah... next time inform chiu earlier okie???
Just kidding rah...
Keep up with the good promotions!

Will most probably be getting the AT-HDC5 cable for my IM03
Awaiting impressions!

wonder if can purchase from the kakaku or e-earphones soon
, im thinking there should be no demo on any of the outlets like jaben/ e1/ etc.. unless the AD brings this in..
See if AT SEA want to bring it in lorh. I think the replacement cable would be brought in since people still need to change cable if their cable spoil or something. Not sure about the higher end AT-HDC5.

good information there brother haonan.. the adapter jack has a more atas feel. do u happen to have any idea if there is any difference in material between the original cable and the red colour cable that comes with purchase of IM series in Japan (i understand the red color cable should be the same, just that red color is for promotional purpose in japan domestic market.. i might be wrong)
The only difference between the original cable and red colour cable is the colour.

The promotion only applies to Japan and goes something like that:
Purchase the IM01, IM02, IM03 or IM04 between 15/11/2013 and 19/1/2014 and you can redeem a free limited edition red colour cable as a present.
Closing date for redemption is 25/1/2014.
LongBigBronzeElephantFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 12:19 AM   #845

All the AT new product release so exciting.

Still waiting for the launch of HA22TUBE. My A900XLTD is screaming for a matching amp.

Should be going to Japan in September. Following school on a study trip to Tokyo Game Show. Time to save money for hooting stuff:
1) A few Audio Technica headphone stands. (AT-HPS550)
2) A few Audio Technica 3.5mm to 6.5mm adapters. (AT-3C1S)
3) Maybe a Audio Technica USB cable.
4) Maybe a Fostex HP-A8. Thanks to @Haonan for the good poison.

Don't know if the list grow is good (cheaper there) or bad (spend more).
Old 30-01-2014, 01:14 AM   #846
Master Member

I want to go.......
zhubajie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 01:32 AM   #847

Was modding a Hippocase L to fit my A900XLTD so that I can bring it around to listen #.#

Used 2 packets of sponge and 1 packet of black felt from Daiso, with some double sided tape.

Turns out sponge and tap don't go well with each other. =.="

Results not too bad, but could be better (Trying to get something like the box that comes with the W5000 or something):

Will try again next time!
Old 30-01-2014, 03:05 AM   #848

Still waiting for the launch of HA22TUBE. My A900XLTD is screaming for a matching amp.

Should be going to Japan in September. Following school on a study trip to Tokyo Game Show. Time to save money for hooting stuff:

The AT headphone stand can be bought directly from their office.

Unfortunately, the HA22Tube may not be available here because it will be more expensive than the HA26D and there may not be enough demand for it to be brought in.
Old 30-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #849
Master Member

Stereo got lelong those old demo set ah

I saw my friend post in Facebook that stereo selling demo units for more than 50% off leh

He bought some ath headphone
Old 30-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #850
Suspended

I saw my friend post in Facebook that stereo selling demo units for more than 50% off leh

Got ar, but ish at de outlet chiu not interested in only.
TeamStereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #851
Master Member

Orh....

I not a headphone guy cause my ears v nice I don't want to cover them..
Old 30-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #852

have you tried Teac HA 501 with your headphones?
orangecounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #853

is anything outright better than the ath im-50 for iems at this price range? (50-100sgd) If not, what's comparable at least?

before looking at the im-50 i was considering the vsd1, but this seems to be a better bang for buck. i'm looking for well rounded iems with maybe a slight emphasis on bass (not that impt, but preferable). no particular genre that i always listen to, i listen to anything from orchestral/jazz to edm/pop
fluidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 10:36 PM   #854

The AT headphone stand can be bought directly from their office.
I know. But I buy 1 here can buy 2 there.

Unfortunately, the HA22Tube may not be available here because it will be more expensive than the HA26D and there may not be enough demand for it to be brought in.
That'll be pretty sad. *sobs*

But the headphones dunno use by how many people le sia. The price justifiable or not? Might as well ship from Japan. Both also no warranty.

have you tried Teac HA 501 with your headphones?
Nope. Just started going into desktop audio so haven't really tried desktop amps that much yet.
Old 30-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #855

is anything outright better than the ath im-50 for iems at this price range? (50-100sgd) If not, what's comparable at least?

before looking at the im-50 i was considering the vsd1, but this seems to be a better bang for buck. i'm looking for well rounded iems with maybe a slight emphasis on bass (not that impt, but preferable). no particular genre that i always listen to, i listen to anything from orchestral/jazz to edm/pop
The IM50 should one of the best at that price range le. Unless you're willing to stretch your budget more. Still, trust your ears. Go out and have a listen to all the different earpieces within your budget and let your ears decide.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.