Audio Technica Appreciation Thread

weng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes luckily i tried on the spot but v hard to put into the tg334. so decided not to buy it. ended up with jvc spiral tips.
yeah the 334 tube is what i consider "L" size lol... like k3003, ie8/80, dn2000... not good for the sony tips which fit the "M" size tubes better, eg the ath im-series. "S" size are like the westones and shures. :D

weng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind third party cable, would recommend you try the Fiio RC-HD1 cable. IMO it improves the sound as compared to the stock cable too. Even though it's not designed for the M50X, it works with the M50X and should work with the M40X. You can audition it at E1.

the RC-HD1 is designed for hd598... there's some locking mechanism. does the ATH have the same locking feature? if it's just straight plug in/out one, can check out the RC-MH1 instead.

btw just my imo on these fiio cables. they are made of pcocc-a. i have some of these fiio and oyaide cables. whether it's an improvement or not, gotta depends on what headphones the cable is used on and personal preference. imo such cables tighten up the bass, gives a faster and snappier feel but makes the overall sound leaner and more clinical, or harsher. so depends on what headphones they are paired with.

i tried with hd600 (oyaide hpc-62hdx), hd650 (oyaide hpc-62hdx)), hd25-1 ii (oyaide hpc-hd25), akg k702anni (oyaide hpc-x62), focal spirit one (fiio mh1), spirit classic (fiio mh1) and ue6000 (fiio mh1). worked great with hd650, hd25-1 ii, k702anni and ue6000 but didn't like it over the stock cable with the other three. was especially quite horrible with the spirit classic lol.

haven't heard the m40x nor m50x but just based on my impression with m50, if they are anywhere similar, i think it won't be a nice match. but yeah, that's based on my taste. ymmv so @newstranger, just go try it :D

Last edited:

bangdoll

Master Member
Reaction score
the RC-HD1 is designed for hd598... there's some locking mechanism. does the ATH have the same locking feature? if it's just straight plug in/out one, can check out the RC-MH1 instead.

btw just my imo on these fiio cables. they are made of pcocc-a. i have some of these fiio and oyaide cables. whether it's an improvement or not, gotta depends on what headphones the cable is used on and personal preference. imo such cables tighten up the bass, gives a faster and snappier feel but makes the overall sound leaner and more clinical, or harsher. so depends on what headphones they are paired with.

i tried with hd600 (oyaide hpc-62hdx), hd650 (oyaide hpc-62hdx)), hd25-1 ii (oyaide hpc-hd25), akg k702anni (oyaide hpc-x62), focal spirit one (fiio mh1), spirit classic (fiio mh1) and ue6000 (fiio mh1). worked great with hd650, hd25-1 ii, k702anni and ue6000 but didn't like it over the stock cable with the other three. was especially quite horrible with the spirit classic lol.

haven't heard the m40x nor m50x but just based on my impression with m50, if they are anywhere similar, i think it won't be a nice match. but yeah, that's based on my taste. ymmv so @newstranger, just go try it :D

These fiio cables are made by oyaide.
Oyaide very popular among our older audiophiles.
Preference though.

Reaction score

The RC-MH1 is a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable.
The M50X and M40X uses 2.5mm to 3.5mm.

There's a locking mechanism on the M50X and M40X too.

bangdoll

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes.

n2cy8p.jpg

weng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
These fiio cables are made by oyaide.
Oyaide very popular among our older audiophiles.
Preference though.

Ya so i assumed the fiio branded ones to sound almost the same as the oyaide branded ones, if not exactly the same.

newstranger

Reaction score

too chim for me.......but first......i now think of go IT show see the m50x version and then use at home the m40x.

Audio Technica's PC Show pricing for some of their products not bad.

M50X, ES55, ES7, ES88, ESW9, etc...

got find the price and freebies for m50x? tia

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
Audio Technica ATH-AX5is - SonicFuel Over-Ear Headphones for Smartphones

Be one of the firsts to audition and own the newest Audio Technica ATH-AX5is. Plus a special price promotion of $88 (usual $98).

Exclusively available at Stereo Electronics - Stereo@Plaza Singapura or Stereo@ION Orchard!

SeptAXPromoEDM_zps647b878c.jpeg

3SG_NS_Wong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2z0ewS1.jpg

Finally got my hands on the IM03...

testing it out on my Audio Gd NFB-28 for now, but it will probably used in my office rig of my Ifi Nano iDSD and Nano iCan.

I got hooked via the sound of the IM50/70 and this is an improvement in everyway.

jackiekof

Reaction score
Anyone know whether is this model only release in japan?didnt see this model sg?will it be release in sg?
http://www.biccamera.com.e.**.hp.transer.com/bicbic/jsp/w/diary_audio/images/140703/01.jpg

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone know whether is this model only release in japan?didnt see this model sg?will it be release in sg?
http://www.biccamera.com.e.**.hp.transer.com/bicbic/jsp/w/diary_audio/images/140703/01.jpg

This product was covered in one of my japanese audio mags I bought recently. From what I understood from the mentioned article, this is just a release of dynamic-driver IEMs utilising the Dual-Symphonic drivers as found on IM70 catered for Bic Camera/SofMap retailers in Japan. So in fact, the guts/hardware internally is the exact same as the M70 models that are available here locally here. (although I'm not sure cosmetically if there are any design differences or not)

Hope the above info helps.
:o

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2z0ewS1.jpg

testing it out on my Audio Gd NFB-28 for now, but it will probably used in my office rig of my Ifi Nano iDSD and Nano iCan.

I got hooked via the sound of the IM50/70 and this is an improvement in everyway.

The IM03 is definitely a good buy, great taste Sergeant Wong. :o

In fact during June I tried this again together along with the CKR9/CKR10 series, and I can definitely say in terms of synergy the IM03 goes along with portable players such as the Walkman ZX1 very very well. So far from the IEMs I have tried in recent months, I can definitely say the Audio-technica IM03 is one of those IEM models that goes well easily with most mainstream consumer-oriented DAPs avail on the current market out there, there is decent amount of bass/treble to satisfy any music lovers and doesn't require external amping in order to sound well.

While I have to admit the ergonomics/cabling of the current IM series does not compare that excellently against some of their previous popular creations such as the CK10/CK100 as reviewed by many on Head-fi, their cost/performance factor is definitely very high, especially the IM02/IM03 series as agreed by many Head-fiers on HF or even other international communities. Personally as one of the ATH gear owner/lovers ard in here, while I do not embrace the IM50/IM70 models that much due to sig preferences, the IM02 and IM03 are definitely some of my fav IEMs I had the chance to listen to personally so far.
:)

Happy listening!

Reaction score
For some unknown reason I feel attracted to the ATH-BKS77iS even though I'm not a IEM person. :s22:

Did some reading online and there's only 3 differences:
1) Black body instead of red.
2) Comes default with the microphone cable.
3) Priced around 3000 yen higher.

Maybe I'll see if I can secure a set next month when I'm in Japan. :)

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

How is it with NFB-28?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.