Cheapest USB DAC (for a Laptop)?

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, what's the cheapest USB DAC I can get in the market (second-hand also ok) right now? I need it ASAP for a friend's laptop as its headphone jack does not work in Windows (Linux can though) and all sorts of drivers do not solve the issue.

I understand there used to be the UD series from Stoner Acoustics, but that's discontinued for some time liao, so will need other alternatives... Will HiFimeDIY's DACs be a good alternative?

Friend's requirements is something simple, as long he can use headphones can liao.

Thanks!

sharkkae

Reaction score
HiFiMeDIY DACs are pretty decent, using the ES 9018 chip. Only downside is that it bypasses the windows volume control and needs to be controlled via the application itself i.e. youtube, vlc, winamp

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
HiFiMeDIY DACs are pretty decent, using the ES 9018 chip. Only downside is that it bypasses the windows volume control and needs to be controlled via the application itself i.e. youtube, vlc, winamp

Ah I see, so they are more for pairing with amps that can help in the volume control?

You can look at the FiiO K1 too, available for $79

Thanks, can consider too seeing how it allows on-the-fly volume control and got local warranty support unlike the HiFiMeDIY DACs.

As for my friend, for now I managed to get those really cheap $10 USB sound cards (those small plastic USB sticks that have headphones out and mic in ports) since he just wants something cheap and to tide over for now. I will be more than happy to point him to these options (and more?) should he want something better ;)

halnala

Reaction score
I have the Asus Xonar U7 with sound out and mic in. It also comes with a big volume knob and Dolby Home Theatre software. Quite abit of features. Price is about 150 bucks when I got it about almost 1 year back.

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is bigger than the other options though (friend prefer something smaller like the size of a USB stick) :o

sharkkae

Reaction score
Ah I see, so they are more for pairing with amps that can help in the volume control?

Really depends on your purpose really, you can directly hook up your headphones, just gotta ensure the volume is properly managed.

desyeosc

Reaction score
You could try the Fiio K1. Very small in size and lightweight as well. I'm using it myself for my PC and surprisingly it works for my phone(iPhone) which "suppose to be unable to work with iPhone".

As for sound, alittle colored thou, but still acceptable:)

Hi guys, what's the cheapest USB DAC I can get in the market (second-hand also ok) right now? I need it ASAP for a friend's laptop as its headphone jack does not work in Windows (Linux can though) and all sorts of drivers do not solve the issue.

I understand there used to be the UD series from Stoner Acoustics, but that's discontinued for some time liao, so will need other alternatives... Will HiFimeDIY's DACs be a good alternative?

Friend's requirements is something simple, as long he can use headphones can liao.

Thanks!

halnala

Reaction score
I have a Creative Sound Blaster Play! which has sound out and mic in. Got it for about 30 bucks 1 year back.

Let me search for it tonight. If I can find it, I will give it away since I no longer have any use for it.

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Really depends on your purpose really, you can directly hook up your headphones, just gotta ensure the volume is properly managed.

True true, especially if the headphones are easy to drive (which means no need amp also can)

You could try the Fiio K1. Very small in size and lightweight as well. I'm using it myself for my PC and surprisingly it works for my phone(iPhone) which "suppose to be unable to work with iPhone".

As for sound, alittle colored thou, but still acceptable:)

Thanks, I guess that text is just a disclaimer!

I have a Creative Sound Blaster Play! which has sound out and mic in. Got it for about 30 bucks 1 year back.

Let me search for it tonight. If I can find it, I will give it away since I no longer have any use for it.

Thanks man, I had gotten it from you on Thursday night and got it to work with the laptop! :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.