Creative Outlier Air truly wireless earphones

TheOutsider

Reaction score
Did the litmus test for bluetooth connection at the booth. Audio drop out :(

You may want to try the litmus test on your own. For any android phone, cover 2 of the diagonal edges with your hands. Audio should drop out immediately. Repeat with the other diagonals. That's where the bluetooth antenna is located.

For me, drop out happened on note 8. Tried it on the creative salesman note 9, also drop out with the litmus test.

I told him that it will not happen if i did the test on IPhone 7+. He explained that apple use their own designed bluetooth chipset which give excellent connection.

Understand that the litmus test may be too harsh but i think it is necessary to test the resilience of bluetooth connectivity.

How to test? I tried covering my phone in all direction also never drop.

Want to test bud to bud connection and cover your left/right ear fully and see if connection drops haha

chesterqw

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I think almost all, if not literally all tws will fail that test.

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sagu sic to confirm the Outlier AIR cannot be used to activate the SXFI app and one would need to use the SXFI amp (Android) or SXFI AIR headphone to activate the SXFI app and once the SXFI app has been activated, one can connect the Outlier AIR earbuds, select the “Outlier Air” profile in the SXFI app and use the SXFI app to play the media files on your device and one can enjoy the SXFI holography audio on your Outlier AIR earbuds :s22:

#saguwisdom :vijayadmin:
So basically using the amp as a hardware lock for the software functionality?

RocketBunny

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The button is covered in one thin layer or diaphragm right? Find that it feels quite cheap when pressed. But I do like that this bud can change volume by tap and hold. Best if it just links with Android volume and not standalone hardware volume.

Not really tap and hold like the E8
More like pressing the earbuds into my skull to have the button activated. :s22: physical button

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
So basically no point heading down this wkend to grab the $99 Outlier Air?

kevpaang

Reaction score
So basically no point heading down this wkend to grab the $99 Outlier Air?

Completely out of stock liaoz how to grab leh? 😂

It's either preorder via their website or if u happened to be at the show, u fill in a preorder form n pay upfront at their cashier.

Creative booth is on L6, far right end (you facing the entrance)

Both channels offered the same $20 discount, online promo code: ITSHOW20

Last edited:

pleong88

Reaction score
Got mine delivered a few days ago. Love them. Sounds pretty good for the price with $20 off.
It works with the sxfi app but you must have the sxfi amp to activate the sxfi app first.
Yes, the button is pretty hard to press.
It fits very nicely in my ear and stay there quite well.

athenodorus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the light will only stop when playing music? after i stopped playing music the lights will appear again.

also it seems like i have to manually disconnect the bud? i would assume by putting back in the case it will auto disconnect.

athenodorus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The button is covered in one thin layer or diaphragm right? Find that it feels quite cheap when pressed. But I do like that this bud can change volume by tap and hold. Best if it just links with Android volume and not standalone hardware volume.

i wouldn't want to use the button on the bud. it's not easy to press and hurts my ear.:s22:

hairymonster

Reaction score
I dun really understand the reasoning behind your litmus test. I can only conclude that Apple' bluetooth implementation is better coz of their proprietary chip.

But how does this litmus test rate the Creative Outlier Air's bluetooth connection?

Are you saying that most other TWS pass the litmus test, so outlier air's BT connection is lousy since it failed?

Or issit a case where the fault lies with andriod's BT implementation and other TWS will also fail the test when tested with an andriod phone?

In which case, exactly wat does this test conclude abt outlier air's BT connection? :s22:

Hello.

I have the same conclusion as you. Apple BT chips are optimised because they designed their own chipset.

But how does this litmus test rate the Creative Outlier Air's bluetooth connection?

At the IT show, when i placed the note 9 screen down on my leg, the audio from the outlier air cuts in and out.

Are you saying that most other TWS pass the litmus test, so outlier air's BT connection is lousy since it failed?

I cant say that other TWS would pass the litmus test as i only the following TWS.
-No dropout for apollo 7 on the iphone 7+ and pass the litmus test
-Droput for apollo 7 on the note 8 and fail the litmus test
-Earin (gen 1) earphones. Complete garbage.
-Droput for outlier air on the note 8, 9 and fail the litmus test
I have yet to try the air BT over iphone. But my gut feel is, there would be no dropout because of apple BT chipset.

Or issit a case where the fault lies with andriod's BT implementation and other TWS will also fail the test when tested with an andriod phone?

From my experience with the Apollo 7, the fault lies with android BT implementation and other TWS should fail when tested with an android phone. I only tested earin apollo and outlier, so i cant speak for other TWS, but my gut feel is, yes.

In which case, exactly wat does this test conclude abt outlier air's BT connection?

The issue is with android BT implementation. The outlier air did not pass the harsh conditions of the litmus test on the note 8 and 9. So that means, audio dropout may occur from everyday usage. Test it on apple, i doubt it will happen.

Alpha12

Reaction score
Earlier in the thread, iirc, someone was talking about not being able to pair the ear buds simultaneously to 2 devices. If i didn't interpret wrongly, the FAQ here describes how to:

16. How can I split the two ear buds and connect each to two different Bluetooth devices?
During initial setup, the two ear buds must be more than 10 meters apart so that they will not detect each other. Afterwards, you may pair and connect each ear buds to their Bluetooth devices while keeping the distance. The distance will not matter once the two ear buds are connected to their Bluetooth devices.

Note: When using a single ear bud, the ear bud will have limited music playback controls (eg. volume, prev/next track).[/I]

https://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=200144&c

The troubleshooting guide archive:

https://support.creative.com/Produc...T=prodfaq:PRODFAQ_23297,VARSET=CategoryID:437

orhorhyipeng

Reaction score
The app sucks. Just download PowerAMP, I am getting much better sound quality from that instead of the garbage SFXI app. Waste of my bandwidth.

Thks for the recommendation but I believe it’s available only for Android rite? Mines a iphone...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.