DAC Recommendation and Setup Advice with Swans M50w Speakers

localguy

Reaction score
hi guys,
i read up on a few entry level DAC and came across a few like fiio e10K Olympus, Audioengine D1, Schiit Fulla 2.

i wonder which DAC are good pair up with Swans M50w speakers.
also im new to DAC and understand it should sound better than motherboard DAC :) hence enquiring on it, very sotong on this

thanks in advance!
localguy

Last edited:

xDragon

Reaction score
What's your onboard DAC? I don't see why you should spend on a DAC if your onboard doesn't give you problems. Also, wrong place to post in.

localguy

Reaction score
hmm sorry bout wrong posting, not sure how to move it to home theater side.
im currently using the Asus B150 Pro Gaming motherboard.
not that it's giving problem but reason for looking at these DAC is that it give improvement to the audio experience right?

xDragon

Reaction score
hmm sorry bout wrong posting, not sure how to move it to home theater side.
im currently using the Asus B150 Pro Gaming motherboard.
not that it's giving problem but reason for looking at these DAC is that it give improvement to the audio experience right?

Wrong, your onboard should be sufficient unless you've tried other DACs and can tell them apart in a volume matched blind test.

My advice would be invest in an good amp if your speakers are passive, or just save to buy better speakers, sound treat your room, or just buy other things lol

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Never thought I would be alive to see this day...

- People understand that DAC is present in everything with analogue output
- The first guy who replies understands the scientific method

Touching moments aside, it should be possible to differentiate between onboard and a better DAC, but usually not in the way you think it is.

The issue with ABX is that the tester usually gets engrossed trying to figure out the differences that he/she/apache focuses on the areas with minimal differences but misses out on where the differences exist. So tip: Try to relax as much and use as per normal as possible, and see which gives your ears less pain. It results in some amount of placebo, but is better than trying to focus on listening, which generates way more placebo by confirmation bias.

The key difference between better and worse equipment is their compatibility. Bad equipment can for example hiss or pick up / generate random noise. Or high output impedance. Or insufficient current/voltage. Or frequency response. These can show up as audible differences and unquestionably show up as measurable differences. But if you can operate it at a point the issues don't show up, then it still becomes as said: unless you can tell them apart in an ABX. Measurements help to give us more precision/confidence in our conclusion, but the end question of "does it matter" is always up for debate.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.