DIY Enthusiast Discussion Thread - DIY AMPS, Custom Cables & More

madcap386

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i read up somewhere that the distortion sounds may be due to the virtual ground of the circuit as there's no real ground or sth?? can somebody enlighten me on this?

What op-amps are you using?

Power source?

The headphone/iem impedance?

kennethtbh

Reaction score
What op-amps are you using?

Power source?

The headphone/iem impedance?

im using just 1 x 2134PA. power source is 1x 9v batt. iem impedance is 16ohms. i personally suspect the distortion may be due to the pot or wiring of the pot cos sometimes when i place the pot in certain positions, there seems to be less distortion. however, the sound lvl of the distortion doesnt change when i turn up or down the volume though. hmm?

madcap386

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
im using just 1 x 2134PA. power source is 1x 9v batt. iem impedance is 16ohms. i personally suspect the distortion may be due to the pot or wiring of the pot cos sometimes when i place the pot in certain positions, there seems to be less distortion. however, the sound lvl of the distortion doesnt change when i turn up or down the volume though. hmm?

My guess is.... ur opa2134 do not have enough current to run ur 16ohm iem...

You can try verify it by either using an attenuator on the out put or use a higher impedance headphones/iem..

see if the problems still there.... :o

agentxq49

Reaction score
Qn: if making wires, are there any specific kind of solder that's recommended? The one i have is just the $8/roll, is that good enough? or i should hoot better ones?

d4rkm4st3r

Master Member
Reaction score
hey guys..

anyone know for doing LODs, for the ground wire besides soldering to pin #2, is there any other pins for it? bcos its damn squeezy as the pins 3 and 4 is for left/right channel..

I read some other forums that say can solder to other pins but dunno which pin leh..

agentxq49

Reaction score
Any one knows where can i get plugs online? abit sian to travel down to SLT or Koba to get plugs.

oh and for your LOD, plug it in and use a multimeter to see if the grounds are shared.

dizzydevil

Reaction score
Hi guys, may I check if its possible to change the UE connectors to Westone connectors for my Jaben UE cable without affecting the SQ of the cable?
If its possible, any recommendation on who is able to help me? Willing to pay for this service. Thanks.

Unlimitedjr

Reaction score
hi guys im new to these so i would like to ask which kind of opamp should i use to improve the treble of my westone um1s? (25ohms). would buying madcap's amp improve the clarity of the highs and all since they say iems with low impedance will benefit from madcap's amps. sorry for the noob question! :p

madcap386

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys im new to these so i would like to ask which kind of opamp should i use to improve the treble of my westone um1s? (25ohms). would buying madcap's amp improve the clarity of the highs and all since they say iems with low impedance will benefit from madcap's amps. sorry for the noob question! :p

Hi, the um1, is pretty recess in the low and the highs...

This is the characteristics of the um1's driver..
I personally feels that you may not benefit alot by amping it..

Unless your original problems is distortions due to lack of power from ur player, then maybe it will help... :o

Unlimitedjr

Reaction score
hi madcap,

Thanks! My friend will purchase your amp in a few weeks time too, so I'll lend it from him and decide from there.
Then what about the westone2? Which opamp to use so it will have a wider soundstage? Thanks!

madcap386

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi madcap,

Thanks! My friend will purchase your amp in a few weeks time too, so I'll lend it from him and decide from there.
Then what about the westone2? Which opamp to use so it will have a wider soundstage? Thanks!

For wider sound stage... a humble opa2227 or a AD8397 will power it nicely...

But then again... you need to test it out yourself... see which combinations you like most with your setup... :o

ralliart12

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody knows where (in which shop) I can get this type of adapter (am using it to charge the 9V batt in my Mini3 amp) in Sim Lim Tower? If got "normal" 2-prong plug version even better...

6325366863531250002_SDK-0042.jpg

On the other hand, if can find in West side, even even better; thanx in advance.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.