HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Earphone Review: Battle of sub $80 in-ears earphones plus others!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #2056

hi guys,
sorry if this is the wrong place to ask or if it has been asked before.

I bought klipsch x7i ytd and anyone knows where got sell the audio adaptor that you can use so that u can also use the mic while using ur PC instead of just using it for your iphone.

thanks in advance.
Headset 3.5mm to pc adapter can go funan. South Asia computer sell for 5.90. Some of the shops selling mobile phone acessories may have too

Last edited by chiaRH; 19-08-2013 at 05:04 PM..
chiaRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #2057

Headset 3.5mm to pc adapter can go funan. South Asia computer sell for 5.90. Some of the shops selling mobile phone acessories may have too
but it seems the klipsch mic is solely enginnered for selected Apple products such as iPhone 3GS or later, 2nd generation or later iPod touch, 4th generation or later iPod nano, iPod classic (120GB, 160GB) and iPad.

So need to convert the apple driver to microsoft.
Anyone ever faced similar problems?
kelvinkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #2058

but it seems the klipsch mic is solely enginnered for selected Apple products such as iPhone 3GS or later, 2nd generation or later iPod touch, 4th generation or later iPod nano, iPod classic (120GB, 160GB) and iPad.

So need to convert the apple driver to microsoft.
Anyone ever faced similar problems?
Huh what drivers? it's not a USB device or something like that. When they say a headset is made for apple, they referring to the inline remote. Specifically the volume controls buttons only work on iphone/ipod and not on android, etc (though the mic will work across different OS)

You can use it with the PC once you get the adapter (of course the inline remote button serves no use for a PC but the mic will work).

The adapter is actually not that easy to find outside sim lim or funan. I remember in 2011 I was searching for it at Stereo Plaza Singapura and they didn't have it either, you usually only find it bundled with Creative headsets.
chiaRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #2059

Huh what drivers? it's not a USB device or something like that. When they say a headset is made for apple, they referring to the inline remote. Specifically the volume controls buttons only work on iphone/ipod and not on android, etc (though the mic will work across different OS)

You can use it with the PC once you get the adapter (of course the inline remote button serves no use for a PC but the mic will work).

The adapter is actually not that easy to find outside sim lim or funan. I remember in 2011 I was searching for it at Stereo Plaza Singapura and they didn't have it either, you usually only find it bundled with Creative headsets.
oh, because I bought one just now 1 3.5mm plug into dual mic and sound 3.5mm jacks but it didn't work. I could still hear but the mic was not working. So i thought it had to do with apple's compatibility. Do you think it will work different from laptop to laptop?
kelvinkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #2060

reccomendation

hi all,

- Your rig = iphone5 and sound console(mixer)
- What type of usage = Music, mixing, monitoring, DJ-ing, recording
- File format used in your source = mp3, wav, live feed
- Genre of music = rock, pop, mando, canto, trance, house
- Headphone / earphone type = IEMs
- Other requirements = changeable cable, have both button and non button cables
- Budget =

Last edited by Extr3m3LitE; 02-09-2013 at 08:46 PM..
Extr3m3LitE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #2061

Hi all,

I'm in search for a new earpiece, my dunu trident stopped working, i think the connection is loose anyway of fitching it?. Currently im looking at MEElectronics A151, Amazon.com : MEElectronics A151-BK Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones for iPod, iPhone, MP3/CD/DVD Players (Black) : Electronics, just wondering how is it and whether it is durable or not. I guess you can say that im a very heavy duty person? Over the past 3 years i replaced 2 earpieces, 1st was brainwavez M1 then my dunu trident. i listen mostly through my iphone 5 and mostly rock genre. Could really use a suggestion my budget it about $50.

Cheers!

Last edited by hottiedoggie; 03-09-2013 at 01:00 PM..
hottiedoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #2062

Is there any difference in sound between UM1 EPIC G2 CABLE and the old Um1?
Nuthing03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:02 AM   #2063

- Your rig: HTC One
- What type of usage: Music & Mic
- File format used in your source: Mp3
- Genre of music you listen to: Rock, Pop, Vocals
- Headphone / earphone type: Earphones
- Other requirements (if any): Good sound, Durable. One earphones for everything
- Budget <$100
Kero291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #2064
Suspended

Is there any difference in sound between UM1 EPIC G2 CABLE and the old Um1?
Technically there isn't any difference.

- Your rig: HTC One
- What type of usage: Music & Mic
- File format used in your source: Mp3
- Genre of music you listen to: Rock, Pop, Vocals
- Headphone / earphone type: Earphones
- Other requirements (if any): Good sound, Durable. One earphones for everything
- Budget <$100
You can consider the Ultimate Ears 400 which most person and personally feel that it has good clarity with adequate amount of bass. Durability will depend on how the earphones are being used so it is hard to tell how long or how good their durability is.
TeamStereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #2065

Credits:
RePlaY: For his idea and suggestion. And members support.
Cypher02: For applying some glue to this thread.
Me: For all the text and photos!
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Introduction:
Ok. So here we go. This is a review (photos included) on some of the popular budget in-ears available in Singapore. So who are the contenders? They are: Sony MDR-EX71SL | Panasonic RP-HJE50 | Philips SHE9500 | Cresyn LMX-E630RL | Creative EP630 | Apple In-Ears. The Sony MDR-EX51 will not be included because it is very similar to the EX71 with different cord design. The MDR-EX81 doesn’t seem popular and I do not own one anyway. Audio Technica’s ATH-CK5 wasn’t in the review as well because I wasn’t able to borrow a pair. I've also included the new ATH-CK7, ER6i, UM1 and traditional earbuds in the review. All earphones reviewed here are able to match all players out in the market. All are fairly easy to drive and require no amplifier.

The review will be structured according to the order above and includes design/cord, sound quality, built quality, comfort and ear tips. And lastly, a conclusion and personal preference. They will be graded according from 1-5 stars with 5 being the best and 1 the worst. Of cause, 5 stars does not mean it is the best earphone in the market, 5 stars=best in its price range. Since most people will be using them for portables, this review is conducted using a iPod Shuffle and a Sony D-E705 Discman without any amplifier. Songs are in at least 192kbps MP3 format. CDs: Metallica-Black, Coldplay-X&Y Robbie Williams-Intensive Care, Madonna-Confessions on a Dance Floor.

Design and Seal: <------First time users, please read the entire paragraph!
These earphones work by blocking some noise with a seal. It is a little different from the high-end, more expensive IEM like Etymotic Research/Shure/Westone. The rubber tips seals on the outside of your ear canal instead of jamming it in all the way like the high-end ones. Its advantage is better comfort and convenience. Disadvantage is that it blocks less noise than what a true IEM will. It is essential that a good seal is achieved before they will sound good and work to its best. How to get a good seal? Select a suitable size tip and insert it into your ears until you hear some ambient noise being blocked out. All six earphones reviewed feature similar size sound nozzle, so the ear tips are inter-changeable. Each manufacturer has different ear tip design and quality although they look similar. Isolation levels are about the same. It depends on the individual achieving a good seal using a suitable size tip. The first 4 earphones reviewed are neck-chain designs and the last 2 are 'Y' cord.

Summarized version:
1-5 stars with 5 being the best and 1 the worst.

Sony MDR-EX71SL | Overall Rating: 2.5 stars
Design/cord: 4 stars
Sound Quality: 2 stars
Built Quality: 1.5 stars
Comfort/Ear Tips: 5 stars

Panasonic RP-HJE50 | Overall Rating: 4 stars
Sound Quality: 3.5 stars
Built Quality: 3.5 stars
Comfort/Ear Tips: 3.5 stars

Philips SHE9500 | Overall Rating: 3 stars
Sound Quality: 2.5 stars
Built Quality: 2 stars
Comfort/Ear Tips: 4 stars

Creative EP630 | Overall Rating: 4.5 stars
Sound Quality: 4 stars
Built Quality: 3 stars
Comfort/Ear Tips: 4 stars

Apple In-Ears | Overall Rating: 3.5 stars
Design/cord: 3.5 stars
Sound Quality: 3 stars
Built Quality: 4 stars
Comfort/Ear Tips: 3 stars

Read on for the full review!
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Other reviews contributed by members and my updates:_____________________________________________________________________________________

FAQ:

If you're having problems with:All you need to know about Cresyn and please direct all questions to this thread
great review thanks
Gevancksya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #2066

Cool

hi all , anybody has any recommendations for good headphones ? Price range ard $200 $300.. do letme know thank you!
WallyPolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #2067
Suspended

hi all , anybody has any recommendations for good headphones ? Price range ard $200 $300.. do letme know thank you!
Any particular sound preference?
Old 23-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #2068

What Earphones to get ?

-Your rig: Samsung Galaxy S3
- What type of usage: daily usage on bus,etc., atleast 3 hours per day
- File format used in your source: mp3 & youtube (whatever format that is)
- Genre of music: Hip-hop, pop
- Headphone / earphone type: IEMs
- Other requirements: durable & remote for Samsung Galaxy S3 (optional)
- Budget: $200

Help is greatly appreciated ! Thanks a lot

PS. I used the TDK IE800 beforehand, found it great however its housing is too bulky and it spoils too quickly for me >< . Replaced twice within a year
angrybeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #2069
Suspended

-Your rig: Samsung Galaxy S3
- What type of usage: daily usage on bus,etc., atleast 3 hours per day
- File format used in your source: mp3 & youtube (whatever format that is)
- Genre of music: Hip-hop, pop
- Headphone / earphone type: IEMs
- Other requirements: durable & remote for Samsung Galaxy S3 (optional)
- Budget: $200

Help is greatly appreciated ! Thanks a lot

PS. I used the TDK IE800 beforehand, found it great however its housing is too bulky and it spoils too quickly for me >< . Replaced twice within a year
Believed you had posted in our promo thread. Please refer to reply there. Thank you.
Old 27-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #2070

Huntedttfb
daohuay is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.