HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Earphone Review: Battle of sub $80 in-ears earphones plus others!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2006, 11:48 PM   #196

well for me and me alone since i speak for myself
i only know of cresyn bec of bugs and i thk him for introducing such a budget gem of a earphone
i do appreciate yr reviews! ^^/
Pls keep doing reviews!

Me too, I have no regrets buying Cresyn earphones. They are great and cheap as compared to others in-earphones. All thanks to the Afbug reivew that I get to know this great product. Really hope that the review is up again so that more ppl will benefits, especially student like me.
Happy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #197

sori for askin stupid question....but can some one tell me where i can get e creative 630?? at sim lim wat shop n e cresyn 630
Old 23-02-2006, 12:26 AM   #198

sori for askin stupid question....but can some one tell me where i can get e creative 630?? at sim lim wat shop n e cresyn 630
You can buy the Cresyn LMX-E630 at:
-Michael Multimedia at 2nd floor and Apple Centre at 5th (or was it 6th?) floor.
-Stereo Electronics Causeway Point.
-Popular bookstores.

As for the Creative EP630, you can get them at the Creative X store at Creative's own building.
Zephyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 02:34 AM   #199

An assistance to the CK7 review

After an entire week of using these things, with their burn-in process completed, I haven't felt more fulfilled in using any earphones at all... And up till this day, they still don't fail to WOW me...

--------------------------------
AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-CK7

Let's get down to business and give a shakedown on these canal-earphones:

The Audio Technica ATH-CK7 is a canal phone, not a true IEM, but it does its job in a very similar way to true IEMs - to block out external noise up to a certain degree.
However, difference is (as compared to the Shure e2c/e3c, Westone UM1/UM2 and Etymotic's ER6/ER6i) its more comfortable as compared to true IEMs IMO, and requires less of a struggle to put into your ears.

With that description over, let's get down to what REALLY counts from an earphone: Sound Quality.

SOUND CATEGORY-
-Bass Impact: 9/10
The mix of the best of both worlds. As I previously said, its very punchy, but not in a bad way. I love the bass impact of the CK7. It is at the same time strong, yet, ironically, accurate. But bass impact can be said to be something like the Etymotic ER6i in terms of sound signature, except much much stronger. I dare say it leaves the Sony MDR-EX71 that I own in the dust by a long shot as well.

EDIT: Perhaps a proper way to describe the bass impact of these phones is that it attacks and retracts very quickly, much like a swift punch to the ear-drum with no follow-through if not necessary.
-Bass Quality: 9/10
The proper way to describe the bass quality for this thing is that its -in a word- smooth flowing. VERY much similar to the bass quality one would get out of the Etymotic ER6i. The bass frequencies are accurately, faithfully reproduced. You're not gonna find any bloated bass or boomyness here. The bass is clean, just the way I like them!
-Bass Extension: 8/10
The bass extension of these things extended as deep as I would've liked them to. My ears tell me that it starts to roll-off somewhere in the middle of the 20-30Hz region (average 25Hz) based of Gran Turismo 4's arcade selection music, where there's a deep yet soft quadruple bass beat. I could hear this on my Sony MDR-EX71, but not my old ATH-CK5, Cresyn LMX-E630DL and Koss KSC75, but the ATH-CK7 brought that particular part of the music back. You can bet I was ver surprised o.O
-Mids: 8/10
Not sure of where to begin with the mids quality.
Right out of the box, the mids are just there, but cold sounding. After a night's worth of burning-in though, the mids start to somehow 'fill-in', not as cold sounding as before and starts to get more 'engaging' with the music, though still cold to many I believe (mainly musical bassheads). The sounds of both the male and female singers I have in my album were very accurately portrayed. Musical instruments that generate sounds within the mid-range were clearly portrayed and well separated as well. Nothing about the mids standout I guess, its as flat on the sound frequency as any good earphone must be. The difference however, its the mids detail. Its there and its obvious.

A good comparison I can make on other earphones and headphones with regards to the CK7's mids is somewhre in-between the Etymotic ER6i and Grado SR60 (leaning more towards the ER6i)!
-Treble: 10/10!!! OMFG!!! *jawdrop*
Right out of its box, Its low-trebles and mid-trebles are enhanced off the limits, making the earphone sound VERY bright, too bright for my tastes. There was also a tiny bit of sibilance as well. Fortunately, my UE Super.Fi BiFlange tip fixes a huge part of this problem, although the highs still sound rather harsh. After the initial test with them, I left them on overnight for their burn-in process on my PCDP on Bass Boost level 1, moderate listening volumes. The next morning, the harsh and bright sounds generated by the CK7 has been reduced by quite a margin, but not completely gotten rid of yet (They are now though, after a near-continuous 72-hour burn-in with multiple volumes).

Today, the high frequency sounds on my CK7 sparkles much like a clean diamond crystal. Smooth, clean with no sibilance, portraying a great sense of clarity. Even after long hours of listening (4 hours straight, animating my schoolwork) I didn't feel any fatigue on my ears at all!

I really like the highs on my CK7. Found it to be stronger than the already solid and stable highs quality on the Etymotics ER6i. According to Afbug as well, he heard more details on the extreme-upper-end of the sound spectrum (10000Hz and above, my ears 'rolloff' at 16100Hz or so, can't really hear anything above that) on the CK7 than on the ER6i. How good does that stand?
-Detail: 8/10
The CK7 handles detail very well. One shock after I upgraded from the Cresyn LMX-E630DL was the CK7's instrumental separation capabilities when paired with my UE Super.Fi BiFlange tip. It's simple - in a word - BREATHTAKING. I could swear I was almost hyper-ventilating at the time. This thing cranks out instrumental in the entire sound spectrum really easily with much detail WITHOUT being revealing, almost similar to that of the ER6i o.O

Why almost? Well, the ER6i can deliver better bass detail as compared to the CK7. The CK7 reaches around 80% of the bass detail performance of the ER6i. Not bad really!
-Soundstaging: 7/10
The CK7 has far from having the best soundstage although you can more or less where each acoustical instrument is directed to you from (To my ears, mainly from directly at 12 O'clock, then from 2 O'clock swept to 10 O'clock, ranges from the 12 to 2 O'clock and 10 to 12 O'clock seems mssing, it maybe just me or my ears though). In fact, to my ears, its very much similar to the ER6i, which has already pretty decent soundstage IMO, except it feels more open and airy.

I guess that the CK7's titanium construct does have something to do with it. Its soundstaging is EXTREMELY impressive for something its size AND pricing. To put it in a word, its simply unbelievable! o.O;

Hmm, to compare it to headphones though... Would you believe me if I actually said that I feel that the soundstaging for the ATH-CK7 is actually BETTER than the GRADO SR60 (note: Different sound signature on the SR60. I've tested the SR60's thoroughly, and am still planning on getting them sometime in the future)? I sure think it is!
NON-SOUND-CATEGORY:
-Isolation: 7/10 with default CK7 flanges all 3 sizes, 8/10 with the Super.Fi BiFlange
While it does its job more than just decently, the CK7 isn't gonna block out everything with its default earbuds. Unless you have the volume from your players cranked to perhaps slightly more than 50% of maximum volume (my test unit is an iAudio U3 FYI) only then will you achieve good isolation provided you get the default earbuds to fit. Problem lies with my ears being very large and deep I guess.

With my Super.Fi BiFlange though, I can get excellent isolation at volumes 18/40 to 20/40. Loudest I listen to would be 24/40, no more than that.
-Durability: 8/10
Titanium housed earphones with a high quality cord to boot. Being the rough and careless person that I am, I've yanked them a few times before (OUCH! Heart pains...). That being said, the cord does feel a bit rubbery (in-between solid plastic and rubber) bit is quite thick.

The Y-cord adjuster does grip very tightly unto the cords though, and I suspect it may cause wearing out if its used one too often.
-Portability: 10/10!!!
This is no headphone, NO HEADPHONE! Like all earbuds, its extremely portable, and is easily stored away in a pouch bundled in in its package (Just a pouch? No casing? Come on Audio Technica, you can do better than that o.O) if not in use.
-Ergonomics & Comfort: 8/10
Sony MDR-EX71... very comfortable but bad sounds, Audio Technica ATH-CK5... Stupid earloop caused great discomfort (Only realized after a friend told me to cut the loop off), Cresyn LMX-E630 great sound for price... but comfort has issues, Creative EP630(Sharp MD33 and Sennheiser CX300 has the same construct)... very comfortable too.

Finally, my Audio Technica ATH-CK7. Musician earphone wearing style ergonomics make the rather heavy Titanium chassis feel even lighter than a feather and it feels... very comfortable too... I fell asleep with these on before (much like Afbug I believe). They're that comfortable IMO!
FINALLY!
My weighted average score out of 11 categories:
With default earbuds: 83.6%
With the Super.Fi BiFlange: 84.5%

Bonus: Here's a pic of my ATH-CK7 + my DAP

Whew! That's it man, it took me way over an hour to think of what to write for this journal. It's 2:30am now. Off to bed for me

Last edited by Zephyron; 16-03-2006 at 02:32 AM..
Old 23-02-2006, 07:37 AM   #200
Master Member

Wow thats an excellent review. Great job!

The Y-cord adjuster does grip very tightly unto the cords though, and I suspect it may cause wearing out if its used one too often.
I use a sharp nose scissors and trim/cut away part of the plastic slider. The shorten slider has less surface area to grip the cords and is easier to slide them up and down. The slider on my CK7 is about 1.5cm long after cutting.
Old 23-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #201

Wow thats an excellent review. Great job!

I use a sharp nose scissors and trim/cut away part of the plastic slider. The shorten slider has less surface area to grip the cords and is easier to slide them up and down. The slider on my CK7 is about 1.5cm long after cutting.
Your Padawan thanks you for the kind compliment oh Master Bug

I know about cutting away a part of the slider from your review, but I'm quite fearful of doing it. Me hands are not stable!
Old 23-02-2006, 07:04 PM   #202

You can buy the Cresyn LMX-E630 at:
-Michael Multimedia at 2nd floor and Apple Centre at 5th (or was it 6th?) floor.
-Stereo Electronics Causeway Point.
-Popular bookstores.

As for the Creative EP630, you can get them at the Creative X store at Creative's own building.

wow hw much is AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-CK7 n where can i buy it??

BTW Thank u for tellin me!
Old 23-02-2006, 07:09 PM   #203
Arch-Supremacy Member

haa.. c the review liao, i oso feel lyk buying...
theory_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 09:20 PM   #204

You can buy the ATH-CK7 at Stereo Electronics @ Causeway Point for $119.

Theory87, by any chance are you studying in NYP? The other day in the morning, I saw one guy with an iRiver H10 paired with a pair of Cresyn LMX-E630DL. Coincidence?
Old 23-02-2006, 09:27 PM   #205
Arch-Supremacy Member

You can buy the ATH-CK7 at Stereo Electronics @ Causeway Point for $119.

Theory87, by any chance are you studying in NYP? The other day in the morning, I saw one guy with an iRiver H10 paired with a pair of Cresyn LMX-E630DL. Coincidence?
haha.. so u r the guy using iAudio U3? hee...
Old 23-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #206

*thumbs up* I'm glad I'm not the only one partticular about portability SQ in school then
Old 23-02-2006, 11:13 PM   #207
Arch-Supremacy Member

*thumbs up* I'm glad I'm not the only one partticular about portability SQ in school then
haha... anyway, my fren r lyk wow about the gd sound quality frm my H10 and E630... however, the sad point is their mp3 is too weak to pump out bass to E630... theirs is too bass shy they r always swan by me abt their sound quality...
Old 23-02-2006, 11:19 PM   #208

Aiyah, don't be so mean lahz *lol*

Before you make the decision to get a CK7, can always let you try first
Old 23-02-2006, 11:49 PM   #209
Arch-Supremacy Member

Aiyah, don't be so mean lahz *lol*

Before you make the decision to get a CK7, can always let you try first
haa.. dunno leh.. coz juz bought E630 nt too long ago.. will c how.. anyway, my sch attactment cumin soon.. hee may use the alowance to buy..
Old 24-02-2006, 02:35 AM   #210

cheap in-ear earphones

there's this guy selling sony in-ears and apple in-ears at $20 and $17 respectively at the Marketplace forum..seems quite reliable. heard that they got their stock from suppliers. no fixed costs incurred which explains the cheap price. any encounters from anyone?
_flee_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.