HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Earphone Review: Battle of sub $80 in-ears earphones plus others!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #631

I just modified my E4G to use the Ultimate Ears SuperFi BiFlange tips! Apparently, for my ears, these 2 are MEANT to be together! Unlike CK7, the biflanges cause no loss of detail to my ears, and unlike all the default Shure tips, they're extremely comfortable, and transitions the bass, mids and highs to complement each other in a somewhat eargasmic proportion

Give me a few moments, gonna post up some pics!
Detailed review of E4G would be nice though
brianadam888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:14 PM   #632

I need to spend more time with them, Need to get adjusted to them for a week and then also try it out with the PINT amplifier this weekend to observe the sonic frequency changes. Besides, I'm not really a basshead either, and my opinions are equivalent to that of a non-basshead, so I might not describe things too well since the E4g's bass more than satisfies me by a loooong shot, so an early written review by me would be much irrelevant I guess

Well then, here I go:

OMG! Look! Is it an Ultimate Ear? Is it a Shure? No, its both! XD

Anyways, down to the main thing, the Shure E4g comes supplied with several tips/sleeves. These include the Shure Ultra Soft grey Flex Sleeve, the Clear Flex Sleeve, the Foam Sleeve and the TriFlange Tip.

I tried all their tips for the past 2 days I've owned them, but can't really said I've been very satisfied to have used most of them. The Ultra Soft Grey Flex sleeves passes along nicely, btu somehow to me, they do get warm after a while (I use the M sized one)

Here comes in the Ultimate Ear SuperFi universal fit series Biflange sleeve. As compared to the given default Shure tips, to my ears, they provide better isolation as compared to standard single flange sleeves, as well as Shure's Ultra Soft Grey Flex Sleeve and Clear Flex Sleeves (which are very uncomfortable BTW, they're very hard!), and even the modified Biflange sleeves (I do struggle to get them into my ear, and they're not the most comfortable tips for long time wearing because they also have certain fit problems after I got rid of the smallest flange to fit them in my ear.

Then, I was wondering if there were any alternatives to the foams as I found those to be the most isolating and comfortable, then it struck me when I saw my UE SuperFi Biflange sitting side-by-side to my Ultra Soft Grey Flex Sleeve. I looked at the narrow stalk of the Grey Flex Sleeve, and tried fitting the UE Biflange in... It went in beautifully, and I supposed by stretching it 'thicker' into the E4's nozzle tube would only serve to make things better... And lucky enough, I was right!

For those bored of reading, here comes the pics!

This is the very first step you'll have to do. Personally, i chose the largest Shure Ultra Soft grey Flex Sleeve since it has the longest fitting stalk.

The next step is not to actually fit the stalk directly to the nozzle of the Biflange, but rather onto the E4's fitting nozzle, otherwise fitting the little buggers onto the E4 will be hell!

And viola, this is the final result, the E4g that I'm currently wearing with its ear support (which actually serves to protect the E4 itself AND the cables that come with it).

With bass giving deep extensions and coming in right quantities, lush mids flowing liquid smooth coupled with somewhat lush vocal forwardness, crystal clear highs that do not sound sibilant, the 3 sound frequencies blending together in rainbow like harmony, great levels of detail (OMG! Piano keys are being pressed down!), a soundstage size that only comes a slight notch behind the UM2 and great levels of comfort... This chio bu gave me eargasms yeah!

Fll review to come in a weeks' time or slightly later.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:08 AM   #633
Master Member

Innovative but as of now, not many ppl have the UE biflange. Only you and a select few have them and of cause, the UE owners. BTW, i forgot to congrat you on your new purchase. I think you can sell your CK7.

ER4P = Stunning details even at low volumes.

To those who ordered the GS1K and E500, impressions from jude.

Link

Last edited by afbug1; 04-05-2006 at 12:57 AM..
afbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:09 AM   #634

hi guys, i juz got a pair of MDR E888. i found that the wires are badly deformed. Do you guys have this problem?
Old 04-05-2006, 01:23 AM   #635
Master Member

hi guys, i juz got a pair of MDR E888. i found that the wires are badly deformed. Do you guys have this problem?
What badly deformed? Its suppose to be straight, like normal earphone cable. I think you better exchange them if its 'badly deformed'.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:25 AM   #636

I'd love to hear the ER4P one day too, but gotta get my PINT built first. The U3 a bit CMI with the E4, synergy is not bad at most, soundstage feels compressed. Used my audio card's lineout and dO_Ob

Plug into home system also dO_Ob
Old 04-05-2006, 01:47 AM   #637
Master Member

What is dO_Ob? Yeah the E4 is a little hard to drive at times. SQ wise, the ER4P is very impressive for most music but still cannot cut it for rap. Surprisingly, it handle Gorillaz's music very well. Comfort wise, its the next best thing to hell.

BTW, anyone interested in a pair of brand new ER4P/S/B at US$150? Includes expedited shipping direct from Etymotic Research USA. But there are some other cost, overall, still cheaper than retailers. I know of a guy from headfi selling them. PM me if interested. Offer last till this Saturday.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:55 AM   #638

d b is cans, O_O is shock

dO_Ob is is shock listening to cans. But my home system is quite low end, and my audio card is a cheap Creative Sound Blaster external sound card... Can't wait for the PINT. That extra ER4 is tempting me but... mustn't... spend... more... x.X
Old 04-05-2006, 03:33 AM   #639

Suddenly so many people into IEMs lately.. If only I had so much info last time when I wanted to buy..

BTW afbug u got the supermacro already? I remember u mentioned b4 u wanna get it?

When are you going to organise a "Portable Media Player SIG Meetup"? Then we can all bring our gadgets down to have fun!

Last edited by RePlaY; 04-05-2006 at 03:36 AM..
RePlaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:23 AM   #640

With bass giving deep extensions and coming in right quantities, lush mids flowing liquid smooth coupled with somewhat lush vocal forwardness, crystal clear highs that do not sound sibilant, the 3 sound frequencies blending together in rainbow like harmony, great levels of detail (OMG! Piano keys are being pressed down!), a soundstage size that only comes a slight notch behind the UM2 and great levels of comfort... This chio bu gave me eargasms yeah!
Wah lau! Describe until like dat make me gian siah
Old 04-05-2006, 08:25 AM   #641

BTW, anyone interested in a pair of brand new ER4P/S/B at US$150? Includes expedited shipping direct from Etymotic Research USA. But there are some other cost, overall, still cheaper than retailers. I know of a guy from headfi selling them. PM me if interested. Offer last till this Saturday.
ER4P @ US$150 cheap leh ... only if I havent buy the tweaked ER4P
Old 04-05-2006, 08:27 AM   #642

When are you going to organise a "Portable Media Player SIG Meetup"? Then we can all bring our gadgets down to have fun!
Good idea!

Someone please be the organiser ... erh ... maybe Master Bug?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:53 AM   #643

The prob is non of the tips fit me. I'm using Shure's soft flex small now, even so, my ears are raw. Thanks for the advise, i stuffed them in until cannot in already and it even help me remove some ear wax. lol. Yes, SQ is good.

The soft case is the same as the ER6i one on the 1st page. I tot its rather nice. Size wise, its just nice for 6i but too small for 4P. I emailed ety for sample tips and also complained about the case. If they dun send me another case, i think just use the Westone one.

I got UM2, ER4P and ER6i <-------WTS. UM1 is my bro's. The rest of the cheaper in-ears, sell also no value.

Edit:
BTW, anyone interested in a brand new set of ER4P? I think i can get another one. Below SDG$300.
afbug1, so what does the er4 sound like compared to um2? any "short" comparisons?
jmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #644

like flattened loh..i tink they wrap ard the case too tight until flat and deformed..
Old 04-05-2006, 03:53 PM   #645
Master Member

Suddenly so many people into IEMs lately.. If only I had so much info last time when I wanted to buy..

BTW afbug u got the supermacro already? I remember u mentioned b4 u wanna get it?

Well that time when i got the UM1 and ER6i, also bought blindly. Esp its UM1's new design. Now more ppl own IEMs in SG, so naturally more info i guess. Plus of cause without your suggestion, this thread will not be around.

I've changed my plans. I'm not going protable with amps, so i think a desktop amp will be better. Not likely to get SM3 unless feeling rich which is always very rare. lol

Meet up? And we go fevernova house. lol. I dun want to organise la. Lazy. Someone organise and if i can make it, i'll be there.

ER4P @ US$150 cheap leh ... only if I havent buy the tweaked ER4P
Yeah and its direct from Etymotic Research as well. What is a tweaked ER4P? Whats the diff to the normal ER4P?

afbug1, so what does the er4 sound like compared to um2? any "short" comparisons?
ER4P Vs UM2 is like ER6i Vs UM1. Different flavour.

ER4P sound like a soup up version of the ER6i, same sound signature. It does have strong bass but cannot match UM2's impact and slam. But the ER4P is more revealing than the UM2 at lower volumes. UM2 performs at higher vol. As for treble, its slightly better than UM2 only, in a sense that its bass dun overwhelm. UM2's treble can reach higher. ER4P can handle most types of music IMHO. But for rap, i think it cannot make it. Dun have the type of 'vibration bass'. For dance music, its good. It got the deep thumping bass. So it does kick bass drums better than bass guitars i guess.

There are a few types of preferences. One is the basshead where only the SFEB and DT770 can please him. 2nd at the other extreme end, only brighter sounds like Grado, ER4P/S etc pleases him. And lastly the general ones where almost any thing goes. Not vey healthy for his wallet. lol. A different can for different mood.

So for the basshead, at least a UM2. 2nd type, treble siao will like the ER4S and lastly, its where i am and some ppl are, anything goes like the UM2, ER4P etc. Able to adapt to different sounds. So what i'm trying to say is that the ER4P will compliment the UM2. I dun think its better or worse. If i have to choose, its the UM2.

Preview pictures!

like flattened loh..i tink they wrap ard the case too tight until flat and deformed..
Is it bad? Got a pic? If you dun like, maybe exchange?

Last edited by afbug1; 04-05-2006 at 04:29 PM..
afbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.