HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Earphone Review: Battle of sub $80 in-ears earphones plus others!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #106

Even though so, do read the comparisons found in the first page between the earphones

Do read all of them, not only the EX71s.

They're quite informative and I'm pretty sure many of us here have afbug1 to thank for the review.

Perhaps you're very defensive of the EX71 because you did spend a high price getting them, that I agree (was like that in the past when I got the EX71s, was a wee little lad who didn't believe there were other better budget in ears out there), but there do exist others which outperform the EX71 more than easily.

Last edited by Zephyron; 16-01-2006 at 01:25 PM..
Zephyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 04:49 PM   #107
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hope you're not offended by the low ratings for the EX71. I'm just writing an unbiased review. The fact that the EX71 and the old EX70 is still with me shows that i still like them. I sold my ER6i BTW.

Etymotic Research's ER-6i can be bought online for much less. Approx $170.

These figures cannot be trusted fully. More like a marketing gimmick. The Cresyn is easier to drive than the EX71.
No i'm not offended...just don't understand why over here the ratings are low while others are high. Guess i'd prefer a more reputable brand cos i've never heard of Cresyn until i got here.
Snoweagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 04:51 PM   #108
Arch-Supremacy Member

Even though so, do read the comparisons found in the first page between the earphones

Do read all of them, not only the EX71s.

They're quite informative and I'm pretty sure many of us here have afbug1 to thank for the review.

Perhaps you're very defensive of the EX71 because you did spend a high price getting them, that I agree (was like that in the past when I got the EX71s, was a wee little lad who didn't believe there were other better budget in ears out there), but there do exist others which outperform the EX71 more than easily.
Of course the EX71 isn't the best out there unless you're talking about Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro. To me the EX71's sound is very gd...though bass isn't as strong as my older EX70.
Old 16-01-2006, 08:34 PM   #109

No no, I meant IMO, even in its price range, there are in-ears as compared to the EX71 =)

Having used the EX71 myself, I understand how you feel regarding its bass since I was like that the first time as well, but noe feel that Sony could've done better for a $80 earphone. Instead, it got outdone by a $50 earphone (The Cresyn LMX-E630 and the Panasonic RP-HJE50 and Creative EP630 [$69]).

Cresyn doesn't advertise I guess, that's why its not so reputable. The same goes for Cowon and iRiver, I don't really see them aggressively advertising their players as compared to say the Apple iPod and Creative's Zen series players. Yet even though so, the sound quality of their players is something I say that should be heralded as opposed to the 2 heavily heralded companies.

Advertising doesn't equal to quality the same way price does not define quality (Though Cowon and iRiver players are very expensive).

Hmm,.. I think I should re-phrase what I said: Give other cheaper than EX71 in-ears a try, you might just like them

Last edited by Zephyron; 16-01-2006 at 08:49 PM..
Zephyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 12:06 AM   #110
Master Member

No i'm not offended...just don't understand why over here the ratings are low while others are high. Guess i'd prefer a more reputable brand cos i've never heard of Cresyn until i got here.
The reason for different ratings is:
Everyone have different taste and preferences. SQ wise, i dun like its scoop out mids and a little flabby bass. It will had a higher rating if not for its built quality issues. Both my EX71/70 are still useable and have no cord damage but i've seen horrible pics (Some of them at HWZ) of its cord giving way.

If you want to replace your earphones, give other brands a go. You might like them. Cresyn is best because of its price, cord design and superior SQ. Creatives are very good as well but more ex. They're let down by its price and cheapo cord. I factored in the cost of the earphones as well. Watch out for the new Sennheiser CX300. I guess they will be similar to the Creative but priceing, i'm not sure. Not out yet.
Old 17-01-2006, 12:28 AM   #111

Great thanks to afbug for taking the effort and time to do a comprehensive review and updating frequently!
RePlaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 01:05 AM   #112
Master Member

RePlaY: Thank you for your kind words. Maybe you can write one for the E4c.

To those who enjoyed or benifit from the review, you got to thank RePlaY as well. If not for his suggestion, i will not have written it. He used to be the one answering all these questions, till one fine day, he got sick of it.

I just got a crazy idea. I wanna try a UE SF bi flange tip on these cheaper in-ears. Should provide superior isolation.
afbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 05:39 PM   #113
Arch-Supremacy Member

No no, I meant IMO, even in its price range, there are in-ears as compared to the EX71 =)

Having used the EX71 myself, I understand how you feel regarding its bass since I was like that the first time as well, but noe feel that Sony could've done better for a $80 earphone. Instead, it got outdone by a $50 earphone (The Cresyn LMX-E630 and the Panasonic RP-HJE50 and Creative EP630 [$69]).

Cresyn doesn't advertise I guess, that's why its not so reputable. The same goes for Cowon and iRiver, I don't really see them aggressively advertising their players as compared to say the Apple iPod and Creative's Zen series players. Yet even though so, the sound quality of their players is something I say that should be heralded as opposed to the 2 heavily heralded companies.

Advertising doesn't equal to quality the same way price does not define quality (Though Cowon and iRiver players are very expensive).

Hmm,.. I think I should re-phrase what I said: Give other cheaper than EX71 in-ears a try, you might just like them
Maybe in the future bah...for now i'll still stick to my rather new EX71s
Old 17-01-2006, 05:41 PM   #114
Arch-Supremacy Member

The reason for different ratings is:
Everyone have different taste and preferences. SQ wise, i dun like its scoop out mids and a little flabby bass. It will had a higher rating if not for its built quality issues. Both my EX71/70 are still useable and have no cord damage but i've seen horrible pics (Some of them at HWZ) of its cord giving way.

If you want to replace your earphones, give other brands a go. You might like them. Cresyn is best because of its price, cord design and superior SQ. Creatives are very good as well but more ex. They're let down by its price and cheapo cord. I factored in the cost of the earphones as well. Watch out for the new Sennheiser CX300. I guess they will be similar to the Creative but priceing, i'm not sure. Not out yet.
Both my EX70 and 71 are still in very gd cord condition and i don't see them getting damaged.

Maybe you should look out for the upcoming Shure E500 too
Old 17-01-2006, 11:41 PM   #115

Great thanks to afbug for taking the effort and time to do a comprehensive review and updating frequently!
Manny thanks to Afbug for sharing his knowledge, I find the his contribution is pretty useful and learn a lot from him. Are u a sound engineer, Afbug?
Happy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 12:09 AM   #116
Master Member

Both my EX70 and 71 are still in very gd cord condition and i don't see them getting damaged.

Maybe you should look out for the upcoming Shure E500 too
You kidding rite? At that price, i will pump more and get my dream Westone ES2.

Manny thanks to Afbug for sharing his knowledge, I find the his contribution is pretty useful and learn a lot from him. Are u a sound engineer, Afbug?
Thanks. No, i'm not a sound engineer. Don't need a sound engineer to write one like this. Just require some decent writing skills and time can liao.
Old 18-01-2006, 10:07 AM   #117
Arch-Supremacy Member

afbug, how much is the shure e500? Cos i heard that i has 2 tweeters and a woofer and has the option of a change in hearing surrounding sounds without having to remove the earphones.
Old 19-01-2006, 02:16 AM   #118

WTS - Cresyn LMX-E630SN

Dear all, wish to sell off a totall brand new Cresyn LMX-E630RL (WHITE).

Got it today (January 18th) and realized it is not my kind of earphone. Hoping to finance a Shure.

Bought with receipt at S$54.90 from Apple Sim Lim today.

Original plastic packaging torn. Standard package in place.

Selling - $45.

For more information on this great earpiece -
" http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showt...ighlight=shure "

" http://mp3.zol.com.cn/22/223156.html "

0.8M cord
capable of switchin between a neck style and straight forward(Apple) style.

Interest party please SMS me @ 94888548.

Regards,
Andy G
anddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 03:52 PM   #119
Master Member

afbug, how much is the shure e500? Cos i heard that i has 2 tweeters and a woofer and has the option of a change in hearing surrounding sounds without having to remove the earphones.
MSRP US$499 leh. I might as well pump hundred plus more and get a ES2. And that option thingy is big and bulky and is an optional accessory.

anddie: Does this thread look like a for sale forum?
Old 19-01-2006, 10:02 PM   #120

MSRP US$499 leh. I might as well pump hundred plus more and get a ES2. And that option thingy is big and bulky and is an optional accessory.

anddie: Does this thread look like a for sale forum?
It's hard for a singaporean to get custom IEMs.. cos still need to get ear impressions done and sent over..
One Head-Fi member had the chance to compare the E500 and UE10..
Read here => http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=158419
RePlaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.