Finally! A new flagship DAP from iRiver! AK100

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have been testing the two units for the past days.. To summarize, the iRiver is no slouch as a transport / player, especially when playing high resolution files.. The Asus is really extremely value for money.. It replaces my Calyx DAC which I sold off a while back.. The Asus is still burning in, can't imagine its performance when it hits the 300 (or more) hours mark.. :s22::s22:

nice to see a fellow RWA user... thats a 70.2?

what brand is that cute wood platform?

hotkub

Reaction score
nice to see a fellow RWA user... thats a 70.2?

what brand is that cute wood platform?

Thank you. I know you are using the RWA Isabella with the optional HP stage (or is it RWA Isabellina HPA). Nice to meet another RWA user too. RWA makes fine products.

Yup, those are 70.2 LFP-V edition monos.. Very, very nice power amplifiers.. The wooden platforms are actually butcher (chopping) boards.. Used as vibration dampers.. Bought them from Robinson.. Beats spending much more for those boutique brand(s) isolation platform(s).. Beside, they look nice too..

:s13::s13:

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I know you are using the RWA Isabella with the optional HP stage (or is it RWA Isabellina HPA). Nice to meet another RWA user too. RWA makes fine products.

Yup, those are 70.2 LFP-V edition monos.. Very, very nice power amplifiers.. The wooden platforms are actually butcher (chopping) boards.. Used as vibration dampers.. Bought them from Robinson.. Beats spending much more for those boutique brand(s) isolation platform(s).. Beside, they look nice too..

:s13::s13:

actually chopping board nowadays also quite expensive lol

just change to bellina and sig 19

hotkub

Reaction score
actually chopping board nowadays also quite expensive lol

just change to bellina and sig 19

I got them during Robinson 20% sales.. Lol.. $10+ a piece for the small ones and $30+ for the big one.. Their combined prices may not even match a specialized boutique brand offering.. Quite worth it I find..

Oh, you have switched to the new line-ups.. Congrats.. How's the SS? I'm sure you are enjoying the synergy pairing of both units..

:D

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see myself no point getting back a AK100 since I had lost it.

Now, waiting for the AK120. Cross my finger and hope it's not so expensive.

koicafex

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
they declare price liao u still hope not so expensive? o.o

dun think it's worth 2.2x the amount of ak100

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
they declare price liao u still hope not so expensive? o.o

dun think it's worth 2.2x the amount of ak100

I hope it's maybe double the price of AK100 and not above $2K.

Sound quality is definitely above DX100 if not talking about the amplified thing.

Rubick

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I hope it's maybe double the price of AK100 and not above $2K.

Sound quality is definitely above DX100 if not talking about the amplified thing.

U sure? Sabre dac is good leh. Even hm901 cant dethrone the dx100

FatalethaL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

hard to say... very subjective.

today i tried DX100 and AK100... i still like AK100 more.

DX100 is really clear and crisp no doubt. but it isnt my preference as of now.

anyways i tried the A7X "Bat Country" on the DX100.. it sounded weird/bad imo. maybe it seems to me that ESS Sabre cannot handle "fast" songs.. it sounds like the UD100 (9023) when a fast music is played.

But when it starts playing slow songs like my oldies collection... it really sounded good.

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I haven't listened to the DX100 yet but as what the SA at Jaben told me.

DX100 win AK100 is because of the power area. If there is enough juice for the AK100, then it's in par.

So if that's what he said, I think the AK120 which better the AK100 should be better than the DX100 if not of the power area ?

How come nobody talk about the Tera Player ?

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can somebody explain in layman term what is gapless ?

There are often some concert ripped audio CDs, or some film score soundtracks where the music is mastered in the sense it's meant to be one continuous playback with gradual crossfades in btw (won't have abrupt long silence in btw those tracks). If your DAP supports gapless, it will sound like u are listening to a CD continuously with no silence, instead of song by song.

My older Sony Walkmans used to have problem where mp3 won't have gapless support, only when using the proprietary ATRAC standard then it will support gapless playback. But from my Walkman Z onwards don't have this issue. Likewise, usual Apple stuffs such as Classics (2009 or earlier) iPod Touches and iPhone all usually have gapless support built-in by default alrdy.

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are often some concert ripped audio CDs, or some film score soundtracks where the music is mastered in the sense it's meant to be one continuous playback with gradual crossfades in btw (won't have abrupt long silence in btw those tracks). If your DAP supports gapless, it will sound like u are listening to a CD continuously with no silence, instead of song by song.

My older Sony Walkmans used to have problem where mp3 won't have gapless support, only when using the proprietary ATRAC standard then it will support gapless playback. But from my Walkman Z onwards don't have this issue. Likewise, usual Apple stuffs such as Classics (2009 or earlier) iPod Touches and iPhone all usually have gapless support built-in by default alrdy.

Thanks, think I got it.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.