HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Head/earphones Recommendations Thread

Like Tree234Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #16

Looking for a earphone/headphone, noise cancellation if possible, don't mind wireless

Your rig (Specifically for use on HTC One V)
- What type of usage (1. Lots of overseas talking has to be very clear on vocals, then music on the go and then movies)
- File format used in your source (doesn't matter)
- Genre of music you listen to (chinese pop mostly)
- Headphone / earphone type (IEM, noise cancellation, if possible wireless)
- Other requirements (if any) (mic, volume control, a must)
It is very difficult to get 3rd party IEMs that has mic and volume control to work with HTCs.

You may want to checkout the AKG K390NC. With inline mic but no volume control and not wireless.
E1PersonalAudioSg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #17
Arch-Supremacy Member

The HTC One is on android right? How bout klipsch s4a?

For wireless/bluetooth I only know of sennheiser's VM or VMX series
iAHBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 02:08 AM   #18
Master Member

The HTC One is on android right? How bout klipsch s4a?

For wireless/bluetooth I only know of sennheiser's VM or VMX series
yes andriod and on ICS.

i dont mind no volume control.
Old 27-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #19

Earphone aimed at music

A great jump start into the field of earphones would be to go directly to a Shure 535 or the Westone 3. They might not be the perfect choices compared to the $450 and up Universals or custom models out there but they are better then 80% of the earphones out there. Another one that is as detailed and clear and has real organic bass with sub-bass will be the Atrios.
BmiamiHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #20

Friendly reminder!

Do very much appreciate for those looking for recommendations to do it in the following format. For sifus helping out, do consider the needs of the request instead of just making statements.

- Your rig (mp3 players, amps, soundcard etc)
- What type of usage (movies/ gaming/ music etc)
- File format used in your source (i.e. flac, mp3 etc)
- Genre of music you listen to (classical, jazz, metal, etc)
- Headphone / earphone type (closed, open, cirumaural, IEM etc)
- Other requirements (if any) (mic, volume control, 5.1ch, 7.1ch etc)
- Budget (in figures)
Old 27-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #21
Supremacy Member

Galaxy s3, airplane and taxi usage. .mp3 files...jazz and pop stuff..

Is the beats solo any good?
trd2970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #22

For the price of it, there are better alternatives. For performance with the business look, AKG K450. For performance with trendy look, Fanny Wang 1000 series or the coming AiAiAi Capital.
Old 28-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #23

NOPE.

There are much better alternatives. B&W P5 are good for jazz although quite pricey.
Better yet, Beyer T70p. Many people say it is very good for jazz.
E1PersonalAudioSg likes this.
kaltzbalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #24

All very good suggestions, but I would like to contribute that good audiophile headphones/earphones should work for any genre of music, even if you are into extreme stuff like brutal death metal. What it comes down to is the build quality of the product, the permanent magnet used (Neodymium is best in my experience) and the cone material (kevlar and ceramic are awesome for this). In this regard I found klipsch to be excellent. Popular brands (the mega famous ones) often are good but they colour the sound too much, adding bass and reducing the mids. What you really want is a flat response and clarity. Plus, good volume, if you plan to use them in noisy public places.
Wanderer-in-Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #25

All very good suggestions, but I would like to contribute that good audiophile headphones/earphones should work for any genre of music, even if you are into extreme stuff like brutal death metal. What it comes down to is the build quality of the product, the permanent magnet used (Neodymium is best in my experience) and the cone material (kevlar and ceramic are awesome for this). In this regard I found klipsch to be excellent. Popular brands (the mega famous ones) often are good but they colour the sound too much, adding bass and reducing the mids. What you really want is a flat response and clarity. Plus, good volume, if you plan to use them in noisy public places.
But there are headphones/earphones that excels in one/few genres, while being just okay/not bad for other genres. AKG K550 is quite laidback, lacking the attack/aggressiveness for rock music to be enjoyable, while it is quite outstanding for acoustics. Something aggressive like HD25 is not really good for jazz as compared to K550.

Flat response and clarity is good, but not all people might want that. Too neutral and flat can cause a 'boring sound'. Some might prefer something fun and less technical, like ASG-1 or MG7.

Klipsch, is overpriced. Not bad but they sounds dry, lacks the natural timbre of voice and instruments.
Old 28-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #26

But there are headphones/earphones that excels in one/few genres, while being just okay/not bad for other genres. AKG K550 is quite laidback, lacking the attack/aggressiveness for rock music to be enjoyable, while it is quite outstanding for acoustics. Something aggressive like HD25 is not really good for jazz as compared to K550.

Flat response and clarity is good, but not all people might want that. Too neutral and flat can cause a 'boring sound'. Some might prefer something fun and less technical, like ASG-1 or MG7.

Klipsch, is overpriced. Not bad but they sounds dry, lacks the natural timbre of voice and instruments.
i had the s4, not sure what you mean by dry but yeah it didn't sound as good for voice and instruments.
good for more on pop and rock and maybe bassy music?

everyone have an ideal pair of headphones depending on what type of music they listen to.
music being flat wouldn't do justice to dubstep and songs with good vocals.
i feel that regardless of whether it is colored or not, all that matters is whether you like what you are hearing.

silvernoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #27

all the gurus...please recommend any that fit my usage/budget. thanks.

- Xperia Arc (Android)
- Music
- mp3
- pop, rock, country, R&B
- IEM (using SoundMagic PL11, Denon C551)
- mic, play/volume (good to have)
- $100-150

i like the C551, but at time a bit 'intrusive' at high - not sure if due to the source (256kbps and above, CBR/VBR), and a bit uncomfortable after a while - too big for my ear?!?!

Last edited by Gaghiel; 28-06-2012 at 09:58 PM..
Gaghiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #28

i had the s4, not sure what you mean by dry but yeah it didn't sound as good for voice and instruments.
good for more on pop and rock and maybe bassy music?

everyone have an ideal pair of headphones depending on what type of music they listen to.
music being flat wouldn't do justice to dubstep and songs with good vocals.
i feel that regardless of whether it is colored or not, all that matters is whether you like what you are hearing.

Exactly my point What matters is whether the music you listen will be enjoyable for your own ears, in spite of the rig being severely colored or very flat.

PS by dry I mean the Klipschs lack the warmness that makes tonal reproduction lush and musical. Idk whether 'dry' is the correct word to explain that though.

Best way is to just go down to Stereo/Jaben to audition. I am sure that their staffs are more than knowledgeable in giving suggestions based on your preferences.Your ears should be the judge on choosing, not reviews or other people's suggesion.
Old 28-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #29

all the gurus...please recommend any that fit my usage/budget. thanks.

- Xperia Arc (Android)
- Music
- mp3
- pop, rock, country, R&B
- IEM (using SoundMagic PL11, Denon C551)
- mic, play/volume (good to have)
- $100-150

i like the C551, but at time a bit 'intrusive' at high - not sure if due to the source (256kbps and above, CBR/VBR), and a bit uncomfortable after a while - too big for my ear?!?!
It is quite a challenge to look for a third party headset with mic and volume control that will work with the Xperias. Yet to come across any.
Old 28-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #30

Hello fellow guru's, would like some advice on what to get

- Your rig : iPhone, PC
- What type of usage : Mostly music, occasional gaming.
- File format used in your source : MP3
- Genre of music you listen to : Most genres of Metal, Rock, Pop
- Headphone / earphone type : IEM
- Other requirements : None
- Budget : Under $100, may consider paying more but currently tight pocket and urgently need one.

Any recommendation is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Teng Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.