JVC New Woody Series IEMs HA-FX850, FX750 and FX650

Jason8811

Reaction score
Yeah imo both have rather similar sig, almost similar bass quantity with the 750 feeling more conjested and lacking some of the 850's detail. The 850 felt really natural and "free". I think this alone already made quite a difference. The 650 on the other hand sounded the most different, lesser bass but a little raw and more snare, which unfortunately wasn't to my liking. Tested those with ak120, but not burn in yet also :D.

I tested both 750 and 850 with my nano idsd dig out from my iphone and to my ears they sound quite different at the bass dept. While the bass from the 850 I heard from the new demo unit at ps is still less than perfect but compared to 750, the bass to more controlled, and mid bass seems more punch as compared. One thing to note is that both models don't share the same driver unit (10mm and 11mm) so if JVC's intention was to create a similar sound between the 750 and 850, they would design them with the same driver unit in the first place.

I also assume based on the "wood" dome drivers, they may benefit from amping due to higher mass? Since my iphone 5 output impedance is higher than preferred (JVC FX850 is 16ohms), I guess the idsd nano portable amp works better too.

Just my 2 cents.

fengwei

Reaction score
After using the FX850 for over 2 weeks (couldn't wait, so I grabbed a second hand one), I've sold off the K3003 and W4R. I really love its sound, sweet vocal w strong but not overwhelming bass (which tamed down a bit after 100hr burn in), great fit and excellent build quality, just perfect for my like,

Last edited:

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
After using the FX850 for over 2 weeks (couldn't wait, so I grabbed a second hand one), I've sold off the K3003 and W4R. I really love its sound, sweet vocal w strong but not overwhelming bass (which tamed down a bit after 100hr burn in), great fit and excellent build quality, just perfect for my like,

Guess you really loved it that much for you to sell off the other two. :D I also find the fitting really good, it may be big but it stays in the ear with good isolation. :)

fergsu

Reaction score
Just auditioned it at Sing Plaza. Impressed by the sweet and smooth vocal, just the sort of sound signature I like for long hour of listening. Bass is just right, not offensive. Too bad missed the pre order. Will wait for the next batch. Thanks to Desmond for the help.

Btw who the kiasu one huh queuing up b4 the shop opened? :D

fengwei

Reaction score
Guess you really loved it that much for you to sell off the other two. :D I also find the fitting really good, it may be big but it stays in the ear with good isolation. :)

Yes, they are big but stay in ear very well. As to isolation, it's definitely not as good as those Westone IEMs, probably on par of the K3003. I don't really care too much 'cause I use them either in office or at home, it's better not to block all sound :D

suchaloser

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How is it against Piston? XD

I know..........but just for fun, since people mention about the basss...

BlackOpal

Reaction score
wa..fx850 sold out liao...no fate..:(.nvm i will drop by to try the fx750 instead. hope the sound quality is not too far off compared to the fx850.

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
wa..fx850 sold out liao...no fate..:(.nvm i will drop by to try the fx750 instead. hope the sound quality is not too far off compared to the fx850.

Quite a lot has already said their piece regarding the comparison of the two. But of course, best is always for you to try on your own. Audition sets are in our Plaza Sing branch. :D

xuan87

Reaction score
Quite a lot has already said their piece regarding the comparison of the two. But of course, best is always for you to try on your own. Audition sets are in our Plaza Sing branch. :D

750 and 850 are really really close, the 650 is a distant 3rd. I'll need to go down with a more comprehensive music library to try to differentiate the 2.

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
750 and 850 are really really close, the 650 is a distant 3rd. I'll need to go down with a more comprehensive music library to try to differentiate the 2.

Hope you can decide fast as well when you've liked the FX750 as the stocks are now also limited. :D

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
JVC HA-FX750 has been SOLD OUT! No more pre-orders will be accepted. We are left with the JVC HA-FX650 for Woody series pre-order and with limited stocks as well. First come, first served basis will be applied.

xuan87

Reaction score
Went down today and spent quite a while listening to the 750, 850 and my JVC FXZ200. Here are my thoughts:

All 3 sound pretty similar to one another and have the JVC sound signature. Chances are if you like one of them, you'll like the other 2 too. Probably due to the wooden case, I find the FXZ200 to be the "most neutral" among the 3, followed by the 850 and the 750. To me, the 750 has more of the "wood" sound than the 850, that is what I find to be the biggest difference between them. In the end, I decided against getting the either the 750 and 850 as they are too similar in sound to my FXZ200 to justify paying for them, and I slightly prefer the FXZ200 too. One note is that the 750 and 850 are really easy to drive and you should be able to get them sounding close to their full potential from your phones.

On a sidenote, after leaving Stereo, I walked past another audio shop and spotted the RHA 750. I was interested having read about it online and I only managed to listen to one song on it as I was in a hurry. However, it was a very positive experience, given the price tag of only $210, and I will definitely be paying them another visit to listen to it in greater detail.

John010

Reaction score
Went down today and spent quite a while listening to the 750, 850 and my JVC FXZ200. Here are my thoughts:

All 3 sound pretty similar to one another and have the JVC sound signature. Chances are if you like one of them, you'll like the other 2 too. Probably due to the wooden case, I find the FXZ200 to be the "most neutral" among the 3, followed by the 850 and the 750. To me, the 750 has more of the "wood" sound than the 850, that is what I find to be the biggest difference between them. In the end, I decided against getting the either the 750 and 850 as they are too similar in sound to my FXZ200 to justify paying for them, and I slightly prefer the FXZ200 too. One note is that the 750 and 850 are really easy to drive and you should be able to get them sounding close to their full potential from your phones.

On a sidenote, after leaving Stereo, I walked past another audio shop and spotted the RHA 750. I was interested having read about it online and I only managed to listen to one song on it as I was in a hurry. However, it was a very positive experience, given the price tag of only $210, and I will definitely be paying them another visit to listen to it in greater detail.

Don't think you can hear a wood sound due to the wooden housing as underneath the wooden housing is actually almost covered by the brass housing.

ha-fx850_bunkai.jpg

xuan87

Reaction score
Don't think you can hear a wood sound due to the wooden housing as underneath the wooden housing is actually almost covered by the brass housing.

ha-fx850_bunkai.jpg

John010, you're right, it's likely that the wooden housing doesn't contribute much, if at all to the sound signature.

However, after inspecting the internal components, many of them are made or partly made out of wood and could contribute to the "wood" sound signature that I heard: JVC FX series internals

You have the wood ring absorber, the wood dome diaphragm and the hybrid acoustic damper made out of wood and brass.

Also, after looking at all 3 models, you can see that the internals for the 750 and 850 are very similar to each other, save for an additional black ring on the back of the 750 between the wood housing and the rear wood ring absorber, and a front silver piece underneath the wooden housing.

zoossh

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i'm an upgrader of fx700. had tested 650, 750, 850 in japan. 650 is a lot softer, and had to turn up the volume, as such difficult to compare with 750 and 850.

all three had similar signature, but bass wise 750 is deeper/lower while 850 bass seems brighter. well, i'm not sure if my usage of terms are accurate as im not an audiophile, and i listen to kpop and indies vocal a lot more. 850 had better separation of different instruments, and i'm more inclined towards 850. but of cos u got to pay the premium and also depends on stock.

i was at yodobashi and everything sells cheaper than these series, the prices really stands out, but nothing else i hear sounds remotely as good as this. well, except for fitear universal 334, but then to spend 4 digit for earphone i really hesitate and hesitate cos it is the law of diminishing returns. it is somewhat better than fx700, but a few times more expensive. now with 850 and 750, not sure how well fitear universal competes.

John010

Reaction score
John010, you're right, it's likely that the wooden housing doesn't contribute much, if at all to the sound signature.

However, after inspecting the internal components, many of them are made or partly made out of wood and could contribute to the "wood" sound signature that I heard: JVC FX series internals

You have the wood ring absorber, the wood dome diaphragm and the hybrid acoustic damper made out of wood and brass.

Also, after looking at all 3 models, you can see that the internals for the 750 and 850 are very similar to each other, save for an additional black ring on the back of the 750 between the wood housing and the rear wood ring absorber, and a front silver piece underneath the wooden housing.

The internal parts that is wood is mainly the diaphragm, that of cos contributes to most of the sound however not sure if it "woody" sound. If you follow JVC, you will notice they put a lot more emphasis on "brass" than "wood" as you can see in the FX-800, FX-Z200 and all the new FX woodies.

The hybrid acoustic damper is mainly used to reduce resonance cause by the moving diaphragm and wood ring absorber as the name suggest is for reducing driver backwaves. Both are essential in earphone, headphone and speaker design however IMHO unlikely to be a contributing factor for sound colouration. (in this case, sounding woody)

The main differences between the 750 and 850 is the 10mm and 11mm wood drivers, with a larger diaphragm the driver on the 850 can move more air and effectively delivering better bass, of course it may also result in the overall improvement but still retaining the JVC FX wood series sound signature. 850 having the detachable cable option also improves the odds to perfecting the final sound you wants on a later part if budget allows.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.